PDA

View Full Version : Wish us luck

Matthew
August 6th 06, 09:04 PM
Ok Folks Tonight is Rumbles' last night on the diazepam He so far
has been weaned down to half a pill every other day Tonight is the last
night. 3 years without a seizure just an occasional depo shot Diabetes
under control with diet. I am hoping I can keep him off the pills the
diazepam has a major side effect of damaging the kidneys and liver
I want him to be around for the longest possible being on the pill
shaves 5 plus years off his life

Gail
August 7th 06, 12:06 AM
Good luck!! In case he cannot do it, my cat Shadow was on Prednisone for
many, many years (also serious side effects possible). She lived until 17
and died of cancer.
Gail
"Matthew" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ok Folks Tonight is Rumbles' last night on the diazepam He so far
> has been weaned down to half a pill every other day Tonight is the last
> night. 3 years without a seizure just an occasional depo shot
> Diabetes under control with diet. I am hoping I can keep him off the
> pills the diazepam has a major side effect of damaging the kidneys and
> liver
> I want him to be around for the longest possible being on the pill
> shaves 5 plus years off his life

Charlie Wilkes
August 7th 06, 06:58 AM
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 20:04:47 GMT, "Matthew"
> wrote:

> Ok Folks Tonight is Rumbles' last night on the diazepam He so far
>has been weaned down to half a pill every other day Tonight is the last
>night. 3 years without a seizure just an occasional depo shot Diabetes
>under control with diet. I am hoping I can keep him off the pills the
>diazepam has a major side effect of damaging the kidneys and liver
> I want him to be around for the longest possible being on the pill
>shaves 5 plus years off his life

It's a risky business for sure. Do they have carbamazepine for cats?
You might ask your vet.

All the best to you and Rumble.

Charlie

Phil P.
August 7th 06, 08:22 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ok Folks Tonight is Rumbles' last night on the diazepam He so far
> has been weaned down to half a pill every other day Tonight is the last
> night. 3 years without a seizure just an occasional depo shot
Diabetes
> under control with diet. I am hoping I can keep him off the pills the
> diazepam has a major side effect of damaging the kidneys and liver
> I want him to be around for the longest possible being on the pill
> shaves 5 plus years off his life

Hey Matthew,

I'm really happy that you were able to wean Rumble off insulin! The Tuna &
Oceanfish works like a charm- doesn't it? I hope you're just as lucky
weaning him off the valium. That stuff can crash a cat's liver.

Best of luck,

Phil

Matthew
August 7th 06, 01:51 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 20:04:47 GMT, "Matthew"
> > wrote:
>
>> Ok Folks Tonight is Rumbles' last night on the diazepam He so far
>>has been weaned down to half a pill every other day Tonight is the last
>>night. 3 years without a seizure just an occasional depo shot
>>Diabetes
>>under control with diet. I am hoping I can keep him off the pills the
>>diazepam has a major side effect of damaging the kidneys and liver
>> I want him to be around for the longest possible being on the pill
>>shaves 5 plus years off his life
>>
> It's a risky business for sure. Do they have carbamazepine for cats?
> You might ask your vet.
>
> All the best to you and Rumble.
>
> Charlie

He has been seizure free for over 3 years that is why he is being weaned
off. He was allergic to the other remedies which is why he was on diazepam.
Thank you for your input

Matthew
August 7th 06, 01:56 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Ok Folks Tonight is Rumbles' last night on the diazepam He so far
>> has been weaned down to half a pill every other day Tonight is the last
>> night. 3 years without a seizure just an occasional depo shot
> Diabetes
>> under control with diet. I am hoping I can keep him off the pills the
>> diazepam has a major side effect of damaging the kidneys and liver
>> I want him to be around for the longest possible being on the pill
>> shaves 5 plus years off his life
>>

> Hey Matthew,
>
> I'm really happy that you were able to wean Rumble off insulin! The Tuna &
> Oceanfish works like a charm- doesn't it? I hope you're just as lucky
> weaning him off the valium. That stuff can crash a cat's liver.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Phil

Actually Phil it was the Fancy feast diet I use the gravy versions that
are not grilled. roasted or in aspic; these versions are higher carbs. It
scared me every time we went to the vet I know Rumble got tired of going
every couple months and being poked and pricked. I am glad to say the
levels were always fine for his liver. But I want him to be with me as long
as possible. I want to say THANK YOU again for your advice on the fancy
feast diet and all your other input.