PDA

View Full Version : Kitten only wants us one at a time

August 7th 06, 03:13 AM
My wife and I recently adopted a stray kitten into our house. She's
about 12 weeks now and was probably about 8 when we found her. We're
having a problem with her attacking us and biting at us. It seems to
mostly be play because she never has her hair standing up or hisses
when she does it but it can be very annoying. At first, we were very
confused because sometimes she would be the sweetest cat ever, purring
and letting us hold her and pet her and then other times she would
scratch us and meow when we hold her and try to get down. However, we
think we've singled out the problem to one situation. Basically, if
it's just one of us in the house with the cat she'll be very sweet, but
if we're both in the house she'll act rambuctious. Does anybody have
any suggestions? Thanks.

John Ross Mc Master
August 7th 06, 04:27 AM
On 6 Aug 2006 19:13:31 -0700, wrote:

>My wife and I recently adopted a stray kitten into our house. She's
>about 12 weeks now and was probably about 8 when we found her. We're
>having a problem with her attacking us and biting at us. It seems to
>mostly be play because she never has her hair standing up or hisses
>when she does it but it can be very annoying. At first, we were very
>confused because sometimes she would be the sweetest cat ever, purring
>and letting us hold her and pet her and then other times she would
>scratch us and meow when we hold her and try to get down. However, we
>think we've singled out the problem to one situation. Basically, if
>it's just one of us in the house with the cat she'll be very sweet, but
>if we're both in the house she'll act rambuctious. Does anybody have
>any suggestions? Thanks.

Play with her more with shoelaces, laser pointers and cat toys. She's
at the age when she should be learning hunting skills.

August 7th 06, 07:34 PM
She's over-stimulating. See response to "my kitten won't stop biting".

John Ross Mc Master wrote:
> On 6 Aug 2006 19:13:31 -0700, wrote:
>
> >My wife and I recently adopted a stray kitten into our house. She's
> >about 12 weeks now and was probably about 8 when we found her. We're
> >having a problem with her attacking us and biting at us. It seems to
> >mostly be play because she never has her hair standing up or hisses
> >when she does it but it can be very annoying. At first, we were very
> >confused because sometimes she would be the sweetest cat ever, purring
> >and letting us hold her and pet her and then other times she would
> >scratch us and meow when we hold her and try to get down. However, we
> >think we've singled out the problem to one situation. Basically, if
> >it's just one of us in the house with the cat she'll be very sweet, but
> >if we're both in the house she'll act rambuctious. Does anybody have
> >any suggestions? Thanks.
>
> Play with her more with shoelaces, laser pointers and cat toys. She's
> at the age when she should be learning hunting skills.

August 9th 06, 03:47 PM
In article . com>,
says...
> My wife and I recently adopted a stray kitten into our house. She's
> about 12 weeks now and was probably about 8 when we found her. We're
> having a problem with her attacking us and biting at us. It seems to
> mostly be play because she never has her hair standing up or hisses
> when she does it but it can be very annoying. At first, we were very
> confused because sometimes she would be the sweetest cat ever, purring
> and letting us hold her and pet her and then other times she would
> scratch us and meow when we hold her and try to get down. However, we
> think we've singled out the problem to one situation. Basically, if
> it's just one of us in the house with the cat she'll be very sweet, but
> if we're both in the house she'll act rambuctious. Does anybody have
> any suggestions? Thanks.

Typical kitten behavior. I got Randy when he was 12 weeks old and he was
an ankle biter. That lasted about 2 years and then suddenly it wasn't
fun anymore.