PDA

View Full Version : Here is kitten we rescued in Iowa while at daughter's

Kraut
August 7th 06, 02:12 PM
We went to babysit my daughter's children in Davenport, Iowa from Michigan
and while there rescued a kitten that her niegnbors left behind and it was
living and playing under the back porch. It was young enough yet where it
was still friendly and playfull. I was temped to bring it back to Michigan.
My daughters can not have pets so we took it to the Humane Society.

Here is the URL if want to check it out. She is an 8 week old calico they
named Callie. URL is

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6595197

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

Mad Dog
August 7th 06, 03:38 PM
Kraut wrote:
|| We went to babysit my daughter's children in Davenport, Iowa from
|| Michigan and while there rescued a kitten that her niegnbors left
|| behind and it was living and playing under the back porch. It was
|| young enough yet where it was still friendly and playfull. I was
|| temped to bring it back to Michigan. My daughters can not have pets
|| so we took it to the Humane Society.
|| Here is the URL if want to check it out. She is an 8 week old
|| calico they named Callie. URL is
|| http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6595197
|| My furbabies
|| http://members.aol.com/larrystark/
|| --
|| ************************************************** ***
|| E-mail address altered to foil spam.
|| Reply to news groups for all to see please.
|| ************************************************** ***

Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a calico and a
tortoishell. In the UK we would probably call her a tortoishell, one of my
cat's sisters who lives accross the road is a calico while my cat is a
tortoishell.

--
"A horse a horse my kingdom for a horse, I haven't had a winner in six
months".

MD

Karen R.
August 7th 06, 04:11 PM
Mad Dog wrote the following on 8/7/2006 10:38 AM:
> Kraut wrote:

> || http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6595197

> Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a calico and a
> tortoishell. In the UK we would probably call her a tortoishell, one of my
> cat's sisters who lives accross the road is a calico while my cat is a
> tortoishell.

According to Wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_cat -- a
calico is a torti colored cat with white.

"The description "tortoiseshell" (also called "calimanco" or "clouded
tiger" in North America) is typically reserved for cats with coats that
have no white markings, while those that are white with orange and black
patches are described as calico (in the United States) or
tortoiseshell-and-white (in the UK). Tortoiseshells and calicos are not
specific breeds of cat. The tortoiseshell markings appear in many
different breeds."

My Torti has orange patches, and is adorable and nuts.

Karen R.

studio
August 7th 06, 11:05 PM
Kraut wrote:
> We went to babysit my daughter's children in Davenport, Iowa from Michigan
> and while there rescued a kitten that her niegnbors left behind and it was
> living and playing under the back porch. It was young enough yet where it
> was still friendly and playfull. I was temped to bring it back to Michigan.
> My daughters can not have pets so we took it to the Humane Society.
>
> Here is the URL if want to check it out. She is an 8 week old calico they
> named Callie. URL is
>
> http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6595197

What a qutie-pie she is.
She'll find a good home in no time at all.

Sunday I went to our local shelter to bring supplies to them.
(Once a year I do my charity thing that I pay for out of my own
pocket....even though I don't have a job right now).
I brought them 2 gals. of bleach, 4 bottles of dishwashing detergent,
10 rolls of paper towels, 600 6" paper plates, 28 cans wet food, 2 20lb
bags of dry food, 9 'mice' toys
a $40 cash donation and 3 papers I printed out on different topics
about cats they can tack on their bulletin board for prospective
'parents'.
Plus I got a chance to check out their operations and how they care for
the cats.
Everything in order, clean, and the attendants were friendly,
professional and caring.

Noah's Ark is all volunteers, does good work and has a 'no-kill'
policy.
http://www.noahsarknj.org/jvs/index.shtml

oldhickory
August 9th 06, 05:31 AM
Torties ALL have the "devil" gene.

Ours just dumped the 5 pound waterbowl over ....again.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Karen R." > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Mad Dog wrote the following on 8/7/2006 10:38 AM:

>> Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a calico and a
>> tortoishell. In the UK we would probably call her a tortoishell, one of
>> my cat's sisters who lives accross the road is a calico while my cat is a
>> tortoishell.
>
> According to Wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_cat -- a
> calico is a torti colored cat with white.
>
> "The description "tortoiseshell" (also called "calimanco" or "clouded
> tiger" in North America) is typically reserved for cats with coats that
> have no white markings, while those that are white with orange and black
> patches are described as calico (in the United States) or
> tortoiseshell-and-white (in the UK). Tortoiseshells and calicos are not
> specific breeds of cat. The tortoiseshell markings appear in many
> different breeds."
>
> My Torti has orange patches, and is adorable and nuts.
>
> Karen R.

Karen R.
August 9th 06, 02:00 PM
oldhickory wrote the following on 8/9/2006 12:31 AM:
> Torties ALL have the "devil" gene.
>
> Ours just dumped the 5 pound waterbowl over ....again.

:-)

Autumn has the build and cleverness of a Norwegian Forrest Cat. Coupled
with the tortie, uh, let's be kind and call it impishness, she can be a
handful. But a very sweet handful. Scared my YD one evening when she was
home alone and Autumn figured out how to turn off the lights...

Karen R.

August 24th 06, 08:43 PM
studio wrote:

> What a qutie-pie she is.
> She'll find a good home in no time at all.

Don't count on it. Millions of cats and kittens are killed in public
shelters every year. Scott County Humane Society, serving Davenport,
Iowa, is a kill shelter and Iowa is one of nine states that REQUIRE
surplus shelter animals be sold to medical institutes for medical
research. Easily handable kittens are among the first to be sold.

Public shelters are dangerous places for all animals. Never surrender
an animal to a public shelter unless you are prepared to redeem the
animal when the mandated holding period for strays is up.

studio
August 25th 06, 01:45 AM
wrote:
> studio wrote:
>
> > What a qutie-pie she is.
> > She'll find a good home in no time at all.
>
> Don't count on it. Millions of cats and kittens are killed in public
> shelters every year. Scott County Humane Society, serving Davenport,
> Iowa, is a kill shelter and Iowa is one of nine states that REQUIRE
> surplus shelter animals be sold to medical institutes for medical
> research. Easily handable kittens are among the first to be sold.
>
> Public shelters are dangerous places for all animals. Never surrender
> an animal to a public shelter unless you are prepared to redeem the
> animal when the mandated holding period for strays is up.

Yes you're undoubtably correct.
I was trying to be positive.
People should work in concert with their local shelters anyway they can
to help the kitties find the good home they deserve.
I'm all for more public education regarding this issue.
Kids in elementary schools should have small day trips to shelters to
see
and learn first hand what the problems are, help raise funds and maybe
even
volunteer some time to help their local shelters minimize these
problems.