PDA

View Full Version : my kitty's behavior

oscar via CatKB.com
August 8th 06, 11:25 PM
Hi

I am hopeing that someone can help me.

I got my kitty when he was 6 weeks old. I didn't know at the time how young
that was, I have never had a cat before.

He is the best cat. His behavior is perfect. He never gets on counters, and
refuses to eat people food so I don't have to worry of him getting into our
food, or trying to jump on the counters to lick plates or anything!! lol
Ok, long story short....

my kitty is will be one year in approximately 2 months i think. My son found
a kitty in our back yard who looks to be about 6 weeks. He is tiny, and has
been using our deck as his shelter. We like him. We brought him in to give
him a flea bath, and wanted to keep him in, but now our cat is acting funny.
He follows the kitty around and pounces him. It looks like a cat catching a
mouse. He looks like he is trying to smother the kitty. Is he? what do I
do? can i really not keep the kitty because my cat is crazy??? lol Please
help.

Wendy
August 8th 06, 11:37 PM
"oscar via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi
>
> I am hopeing that someone can help me.
>
> I got my kitty when he was 6 weeks old. I didn't know at the time how
> young
> that was, I have never had a cat before.
>
> He is the best cat. His behavior is perfect. He never gets on counters,
> and
> refuses to eat people food so I don't have to worry of him getting into
> our
> food, or trying to jump on the counters to lick plates or anything!! lol
> Ok, long story short....
>
> my kitty is will be one year in approximately 2 months i think. My son
> found
> a kitty in our back yard who looks to be about 6 weeks. He is tiny, and
> has
> been using our deck as his shelter. We like him. We brought him in to
> give
> him a flea bath, and wanted to keep him in, but now our cat is acting
> funny.
> He follows the kitty around and pounces him. It looks like a cat catching
> mouse. He looks like he is trying to smother the kitty. Is he? what do
> do? can i really not keep the kitty because my cat is crazy??? lol Please
> help.

Your cat's not crazy. He might just want to play with the kitten or be
checking him out. The kitten is still too tiny to hold his own with your cat
so I wouldn't leave them together unsupervised until the kitten is big
enough to stand up for himself. Do you have a room where the kitten can hang
out with his box, food and water until he gets a little bigger?

oscar via CatKB.com
August 8th 06, 11:57 PM
hi, thanks for responding.

well, the kitty was yelping, so i think my cat is hurting it. and, the way
he sits on top of it, and wont let it up.

i don't think that i could keep them seperate, my cat is used to being in
every room of the house. right now, i let it in for a very short time, and
then out he goes. and i wont leave them alone at all. the kitty is out all
night, and we hold our breath all night hopeing he is still there when we get
up!!

i want to keep the kitty.

Wendy wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 25 lines]
>> do? can i really not keep the kitty because my cat is crazy??? lol Please
>> help.
>
>Your cat's not crazy. He might just want to play with the kitten or be
>checking him out. The kitten is still too tiny to hold his own with your cat
>so I wouldn't leave them together unsupervised until the kitten is big
>enough to stand up for himself. Do you have a room where the kitten can hang
>out with his box, food and water until he gets a little bigger?

John Ross Mc Master
August 9th 06, 12:12 AM
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:57:05 GMT, "oscar via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>hi, thanks for responding.
>
>well, the kitty was yelping, so i think my cat is hurting it. and, the way
>he sits on top of it, and wont let it up.
>
>i don't think that i could keep them seperate, my cat is used to being in
>every room of the house. right now, i let it in for a very short time, and
>then out he goes. and i wont leave them alone at all. the kitty is out all
>night, and we hold our breath all night hopeing he is still there when we get
>up!!
>
>i want to keep the kitty.
>
>Wendy wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 25 lines]
>>> do? can i really not keep the kitty because my cat is crazy??? lol Please
>>> help.
>>
>>Your cat's not crazy. He might just want to play with the kitten or be
>>checking him out. The kitten is still too tiny to hold his own with your cat
>>so I wouldn't leave them together unsupervised until the kitten is big
>>enough to stand up for himself. Do you have a room where the kitten can hang
>>out with his box, food and water until he gets a little bigger?

Put the little one in a room with kitty litter and food and water. Get
the older one spayed or neutered.

oscar via CatKB.com
August 9th 06, 12:15 AM
he is spayed.
John Ross Mc Master wrote:
>>hi, thanks for responding.
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]

>Put the little one in a room with kitty litter and food and water. Get
>the older one spayed or neutered.

Wendy
August 9th 06, 02:59 AM
"oscar via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> hi, thanks for responding.
>
> well, the kitty was yelping, so i think my cat is hurting it. and, the
> way
> he sits on top of it, and wont let it up.
>
> i don't think that i could keep them seperate, my cat is used to being in
> every room of the house. right now, i let it in for a very short time,
> and
> then out he goes. and i wont leave them alone at all. the kitty is out
> all
> night, and we hold our breath all night hopeing he is still there when we
> get
> up!!
>
> i want to keep the kitty.
>
> Wendy wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 25 lines]
>>> do? can i really not keep the kitty because my cat is crazy??? lol
>>> Please
>>> help.
>>
>>Your cat's not crazy. He might just want to play with the kitten or be
>>checking him out. The kitten is still too tiny to hold his own with your
>>cat
>>so I wouldn't leave them together unsupervised until the kitten is big
>>enough to stand up for himself. Do you have a room where the kitten can
>>hang
>>out with his box, food and water until he gets a little bigger?

It's hard to say whether your cat is being aggressive with the little one or
just too rough and tumble. I don't know why you couldn't put the kitten in a
bathroom overnight. I'm sure your resident cat wouldn't be all that bent out
of shape being closed out of the bathroom. But if you can't or won't then
please try to find someone who can bring the little one inside where he'll
be safe.

oscar via CatKB.com
August 9th 06, 04:11 AM
i tried putting him in a room by himself and he whined and cried all night.

my cat doesn't even meow. yea, don't worry, I will take care of the kitty,
or find someone who can.

Wendy wrote:
>> hi, thanks for responding.
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 29 lines]

>It's hard to say whether your cat is being aggressive with the little one or
>just too rough and tumble. I don't know why you couldn't put the kitten in a
>bathroom overnight. I'm sure your resident cat wouldn't be all that bent out
>of shape being closed out of the bathroom. But if you can't or won't then
>please try to find someone who can bring the little one inside where he'll
>be safe.

August 9th 06, 06:07 AM
It's possible that they'll be fine. Often cats look to us like they're
doing each other great damage when really, it's just play and
communication. A six week old kitten really can't be outside w/o
supervision - it's too young and dumb not to run right out in front of
a car.
Bring the kitten inside and keep him inside until he's at least a year
old, minimum.

Cats don't generally kill each other. The resident cat can see this is
a baby. He is asserting his apce, his age, his authority on the cocky
little newcomer and that is his right, awful as it may look to us.
Supervise when you can, pull big kitty off little kitty when it looks
like he's over-doing it, but otherwise they will work out how to share
the space if you give them both attention and love. It can be harrowing
for a while, but they'll probably end up the best of friends if you
just hang with it for a while.

And make sure the kitten gets neutered when he's big enough, and both
cats are flea'd and given feline leukemia shots.

jmc
August 9th 06, 09:53 AM
Suddenly, without warning, oscar via CatKB.com exclaimed (09-Aug-06 7:55
AM):
> Hi
>
> I am hopeing that someone can help me.
>
> I got my kitty when he was 6 weeks old. I didn't know at the time how young
> that was, I have never had a cat before.
>
> He is the best cat. His behavior is perfect. He never gets on counters, and
> refuses to eat people food so I don't have to worry of him getting into our
> food, or trying to jump on the counters to lick plates or anything!! lol
> Ok, long story short....
>
> my kitty is will be one year in approximately 2 months i think. My son found
> a kitty in our back yard who looks to be about 6 weeks. He is tiny, and has
> been using our deck as his shelter. We like him. We brought him in to give
> him a flea bath, and wanted to keep him in, but now our cat is acting funny.
> He follows the kitty around and pounces him. It looks like a cat catching a
> mouse. He looks like he is trying to smother the kitty. Is he? what do I
> do? can i really not keep the kitty because my cat is crazy??? lol Please
> help.

I'm not sure if your cat has evil intent or is just playing, but I do
know that cats taken away from Mom that young don't get a chance to
develop their feline social skills, and often have problems dealing with
other cats.

I know, I had a cat whom I adopted at 5 weeks (I didn't know any better
either) and if she saw another cat in her window, she'd make the same
"killkillkill" teeth chatter that she'd do if she saw a bird! She had
other problems as well, drooling and she was almost, but not quite, a
woolsucker as well.

jmc

BudGan61
August 9th 06, 01:32 PM
oscar via CatKB.com wrote:

> he is spayed.

Now, there's a trick!

August 12th 06, 07:56 PM
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:25:24 GMT, "oscar via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>mouse. He looks like he is trying to smother the kitty. Is he? what do I
>do? can i really not keep the kitty because my cat is crazy??? lol Please
>help.

I've successfully introduced young kitties to my older ones AND the
dogs by keeping them either in a separate room or keeping them in a
cage large enough to hold a litter pan. That way the older ones and
the dogs get to sniff the little ones and the little ones are safe and
get used to the presence of the others. So far, so good. Everyone gets
along great.

If I understand your posts, it seems that the little one cries alot.
Earplugs have worked wonders. You could also keep a piece of cloth
wrapped around a hot water bottle for the kitten to snuggle with. It
may be crying because it misses its mom.