PDA

View Full Version : kitten help!!

hmac
August 9th 06, 03:36 PM
my cat has just had a litter of 5 and this morning my other female cat .
..recently neutered was trying to get the kittens out of the bed ....
the mother got the kitten back in the bed but the other female is in
there as well cleaning the little ones ....with the mother ......should
i leave her in there or take her out ???

John Ross Mc Master
August 9th 06, 03:41 PM
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:36:44 GMT, "hmac" <[email protected]> wrote:

>my cat has just had a litter of 5 and this morning my other female cat .
>.recently neutered was trying to get the kittens out of the bed ....
>the mother got the kitten back in the bed but the other female is in
>there as well cleaning the little ones ....with the mother ......should
>i leave her in there or take her out ???

Separate the spayed female from the mother. There is no telling what
this unusual behavior will do, so its better to avoid it.

BudGan61
August 9th 06, 04:30 PM
hmac wrote:

> and this morning my other female cat .
> .recently neutered

Another miracle!

Gail
August 9th 06, 04:56 PM
Yes, separate the mother and her kittens from your other cat.
Gail
"hmac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> my cat has just had a litter of 5 and this morning my other female
> cat .
> .recently neutered was trying to get the kittens out of the bed ....
> the mother got the kitten back in the bed but the other female is
> in
> there as well cleaning the little ones ....with the mother
> ......should
> i leave her in there or take her out ???

Annie Wxill
August 9th 06, 08:10 PM
"hmac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
....the other female is in
> there as well cleaning the little ones ....with the mother
> ......should
> i leave her in there or take her out ???

If the spayed cat does not interfere with the mother cat's care of the
kittens and the mother cat does not mind having her there, I would leave
them alone. It is not unusual for cats to share raising kittens. My primary
worry would be that the spayed cat is not producing milk and if she
"kidnaps" the kittens and prevents the mother cat from feeding them, they
will not get the nourishment they need and the mother cat might not continue
to try to feed them.
Also, you can expect the mother cat to move the kittens herself from time to
time, even if she is the only one with access to them.
Annie

Paige
August 9th 06, 10:32 PM
I agree with Annie's advice.

Please, please, get your cat spayed. The mother cat will be in heat
again very soon.

Thank you.

> If the spayed cat does not interfere with the mother cat's care of the
> kittens and the mother cat does not mind having her there, I would leave
> them alone. It is not unusual for cats to share raising kittens. My primary
> worry would be that the spayed cat is not producing milk and if she
> "kidnaps" the kittens and prevents the mother cat from feeding them, they
> will not get the nourishment they need and the mother cat might not continue
> to try to feed them.
> Also, you can expect the mother cat to move the kittens herself from time to
> time, even if she is the only one with access to them.
> Annie

hmac via CatKB.com
August 10th 06, 07:41 AM
Paige wrote:
>I agree with Annie's advice.
>
>Please, please, get your cat spayed. The mother cat will be in heat
>again very soon.
>
>Thank you.
>
>> If the spayed cat does not interfere with the mother cat's care of the
>> kittens and the mother cat does not mind having her there, I would leave
>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
>> time, even if she is the only one with access to them.
>> Annie

Annie i already have my cat booked to be spayed....i have just had all my
other cats "done " unfortunately this one was pregnant ...once the
kittens are weaned she's off to the vets.

Annie Wxill
August 11th 06, 05:46 PM
"hmac via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Annie i already have my cat booked to be spayed....i have just had all
> my other cats "done " unfortunately this one was pregnant ...once the
> kittens are weaned she's off to the vets.

Hi again,
Good luck with finding homes for the kittens. They should be well
socialized, which will help a lot.

Although I was not the one to suggest that you spay the cat, I'm glad that
you have made arrangements. Please be sure that she is not exposed to any
intact or recently neutered male cats because she can get pregnant again
before the kittens are weaned.

Annie

hmac via CatKB.com
August 12th 06, 01:43 PM
Annie Wxill wrote:
>> Annie i already have my cat booked to be spayed....i have just had all
>> my other cats "done " unfortunately this one was pregnant ...once the
>> kittens are weaned she's off to the vets.
>
>Hi again,
>Good luck with finding homes for the kittens. They should be well
>socialized, which will help a lot.
>
>Although I was not the one to suggest that you spay the cat, I'm glad that
>you have made arrangements. Please be sure that she is not exposed to any
>intact or recently neutered male cats because she can get pregnant again
>before the kittens are weaned.
>
>Annie
??????recently neutered male cats .....i had my tom done 3 weeks ago
should i be keeping him away from her surely he cant get her
pregnant uh oh!!

Annie Wxill
August 12th 06, 11:00 PM
"hmac via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> ??????recently neutered male cats .....i had my tom done 3 weeks ago
> should i be keeping him away from her surely he cant get her
> pregnant uh oh!!

Hi again,
I'm not an expert on this. I know that the hormones take a few weeks to
disappear. I'm under the impression that any sperm already in the "launch"
area before the surgery could still be viable for a while as well.
I call to your vet should clear up that matter.
Annie

Rhonda
August 13th 06, 02:22 AM
hmac via CatKB.com wrote:
> ??????recently neutered male cats .....i had my tom done 3 weeks ago
> should i be keeping him away from her surely he cant get her
> pregnant uh oh!!

Better call the vet and ask! I know male rabbits are potent for 4 weeks
after a neuter, I don't know about cats.

Rhonda