PDA

View Full Version : Kitten peeing on my dog's bed

Myrna
August 9th 06, 07:51 PM
We recently got two new kittens (previous kitten had run away/got lost)
.. They are both 3 months old and are spayed/neutered female and male.
We also have a 4 year old lab. We started noticing an odd smell in our
family room the last while and couldn't figure out where it was coming
from. We have an dark area rug down there and the dog bed is there too.
Then one day I happened to catch my male kitten peeing on the dog's
bed. I immediately scolded him and took him to the litterbox (which he
uses all the time) and replaced the dog's bed, thinking that was the
source of the smell. It didn't go away so we took the area rug outside
to clean it and when we turned it over there were several pee stains
all over it. So now, we've left the rug out of the room, altogether,
and put a new dog bed down and this morning I find cat pee all over the
dog bed again. How do I stop this behaviour?? This is quite a relaxed,
loveable kitten that doesn't seem stressed. Thanks for any advice.

Gail
August 9th 06, 08:05 PM
He needs to see a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. For two kittens
you need two boxes.
Gail
"Myrna" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We recently got two new kittens (previous kitten had run away/got lost)
> . They are both 3 months old and are spayed/neutered female and male.
> We also have a 4 year old lab. We started noticing an odd smell in our
> family room the last while and couldn't figure out where it was coming
> from. We have an dark area rug down there and the dog bed is there too.
> Then one day I happened to catch my male kitten peeing on the dog's
> bed. I immediately scolded him and took him to the litterbox (which he
> uses all the time) and replaced the dog's bed, thinking that was the
> source of the smell. It didn't go away so we took the area rug outside
> to clean it and when we turned it over there were several pee stains
> all over it. So now, we've left the rug out of the room, altogether,
> and put a new dog bed down and this morning I find cat pee all over the
> dog bed again. How do I stop this behaviour?? This is quite a relaxed,
> loveable kitten that doesn't seem stressed. Thanks for any advice.

Myrna
August 9th 06, 08:16 PM
Gail wrote:
> He needs to see a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. For two kittens
> you need two boxes.
> Gail
I've heard the "2 boxes for 2 cats" idea before but I've seen them both
using the same box. I've even seen them using it together at the same
time. If he has an infection, wouldn't he be peeing everywhere? I
thought the dog bed might be a territory kind of thing.
> "Myrna" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > We recently got two new kittens (previous kitten had run away/got lost)
> > . They are both 3 months old and are spayed/neutered female and male.
> > We also have a 4 year old lab. We started noticing an odd smell in our
> > family room the last while and couldn't figure out where it was coming
> > from. We have an dark area rug down there and the dog bed is there too.
> > Then one day I happened to catch my male kitten peeing on the dog's
> > bed. I immediately scolded him and took him to the litterbox (which he
> > uses all the time) and replaced the dog's bed, thinking that was the
> > source of the smell. It didn't go away so we took the area rug outside
> > to clean it and when we turned it over there were several pee stains
> > all over it. So now, we've left the rug out of the room, altogether,
> > and put a new dog bed down and this morning I find cat pee all over the
> > dog bed again. How do I stop this behaviour?? This is quite a relaxed,
> > loveable kitten that doesn't seem stressed. Thanks for any advice.

Gail
August 9th 06, 08:44 PM
They still need two boxes. Also, if he had a urinary tract infection he
might not be peeing everywhere.This must be ruled out.
Gail
"Myrna" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Gail wrote:
>> He needs to see a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. For two
>> kittens
>> you need two boxes.
>> Gail
> I've heard the "2 boxes for 2 cats" idea before but I've seen them both
> using the same box. I've even seen them using it together at the same
> time. If he has an infection, wouldn't he be peeing everywhere? I
> thought the dog bed might be a territory kind of thing.
>> "Myrna" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > We recently got two new kittens (previous kitten had run away/got lost)
>> > . They are both 3 months old and are spayed/neutered female and male.
>> > We also have a 4 year old lab. We started noticing an odd smell in our
>> > family room the last while and couldn't figure out where it was coming
>> > from. We have an dark area rug down there and the dog bed is there too.
>> > Then one day I happened to catch my male kitten peeing on the dog's
>> > bed. I immediately scolded him and took him to the litterbox (which he
>> > uses all the time) and replaced the dog's bed, thinking that was the
>> > source of the smell. It didn't go away so we took the area rug outside
>> > to clean it and when we turned it over there were several pee stains
>> > all over it. So now, we've left the rug out of the room, altogether,
>> > and put a new dog bed down and this morning I find cat pee all over the
>> > dog bed again. How do I stop this behaviour?? This is quite a relaxed,
>> > loveable kitten that doesn't seem stressed. Thanks for any advice.

Wendy
August 9th 06, 10:28 PM
For the cost of a urine analysis you rule out the possibility that this is
happening because the cat has urinary tract problems. It's a male cat and
they have a risk of blocking if a urinary tract problem isn't addressed
promptly. You can lose a cat in 12 hours to a blockage so it's nothing to
play around with. When my Isabelle had a urinary tract infection she only
peed in certain spots as well as still using the box. I suspect the peeing
outside the box is as much to get someone's attention that there is a
problem as it is a temporary aversion to the box.

If you eliminate that possibility then you start trying to figure out a
behavioral problem. You have to make sure you eliminate anything from that
spot that might smell of urine. Use a enzyme cleaner on the bed, rug and
floor - anything that could have pee on it. You might want to pick up one of
those small black lights they sell in pet stores to make sure you find
anywhere the cat has peed. Urine will fluoresce. Of course so will a lot of
things you might have dripped on the carpets but the urine shows much
stronger. If the cat smells urine in a spot it will return to pee there.

If you have two cats you need two boxes. Some cats won't pee and poop in the
same box, some are just particular about how clean the box is and don't like
using it if it gets too full. Actually the rule of thumb is one for each cat
and one more but I gather you'll think that is excessive so won't bother
recommending that. I know they all use each other's box but if you have one
for each, you're more likely to have one clean enough to suit the cat.

You could also try cat attract litter and a lot of other things but I
wouldn't start jumping through hoops until after the vet checks to make sure
it's not something that might be cured with a course of antibiotics and a
change in diet.

http://www.fabcats.org/spraying.html
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/pointe/9352/litterboxhelp.html

"Myrna" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Gail wrote:
>> He needs to see a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. For two
>> kittens
>> you need two boxes.
>> Gail
> I've heard the "2 boxes for 2 cats" idea before but I've seen them both
> using the same box. I've even seen them using it together at the same
> time. If he has an infection, wouldn't he be peeing everywhere? I
> thought the dog bed might be a territory kind of thing.
>> "Myrna" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > We recently got two new kittens (previous kitten had run away/got lost)
>> > . They are both 3 months old and are spayed/neutered female and male.
>> > We also have a 4 year old lab. We started noticing an odd smell in our
>> > family room the last while and couldn't figure out where it was coming
>> > from. We have an dark area rug down there and the dog bed is there too.
>> > Then one day I happened to catch my male kitten peeing on the dog's
>> > bed. I immediately scolded him and took him to the litterbox (which he
>> > uses all the time) and replaced the dog's bed, thinking that was the
>> > source of the smell. It didn't go away so we took the area rug outside
>> > to clean it and when we turned it over there were several pee stains
>> > all over it. So now, we've left the rug out of the room, altogether,
>> > and put a new dog bed down and this morning I find cat pee all over the
>> > dog bed again. How do I stop this behaviour?? This is quite a relaxed,
>> > loveable kitten that doesn't seem stressed. Thanks for any advice.

Judy
August 10th 06, 04:01 AM
Though I think it's probably a stress issue (I know if I were a kitten
subjected to a 4 month old Lab - I'd be peeing and pooping outside the box!)
it would be definitely wise to rule out a medical problem first.

And when it comes to boxes - the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.
My single cat has two boxes and a pile of top soil outside.

"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> They still need two boxes. Also, if he had a urinary tract infection he
> might not be peeing everywhere.This must be ruled out.
> Gail
> "Myrna" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Gail wrote:
>>> He needs to see a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. For two
>>> kittens
>>> you need two boxes.
>>> Gail
>> I've heard the "2 boxes for 2 cats" idea before but I've seen them both
>> using the same box. I've even seen them using it together at the same
>> time. If he has an infection, wouldn't he be peeing everywhere? I
>> thought the dog bed might be a territory kind of thing.
>>> "Myrna" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

August 10th 06, 05:57 AM
Maybe give him a box in an area the dog doesn't have access too. He may
be looking for a "safer" place to do his business. It's a vulnerable
time :>

Try putting his litterbox behind a baby gate so the dog can't get at
it. He may feel too spooked to use it or upset by the way the dog makes
it smell.