PDA

View Full Version : Cat's Walking Funny


Paige
August 9th 06, 09:04 PM
When my cat tries to get up it looks as though he has weakness in his
hind legs. Finally when he does get up and starts to walk, he walks
with his hind legs bent close to the floor. Several weeks ago he
started defecating outside of the litter box, (we thought it was from
stress from one of our other cat's) we brought him to the vet and they
gave him an exam and checked his fecal waste. They found nothing wrong
with him. Then four days ago he started with his latest problem,
walking with his hind legs close to the floor. We brought him back to
the vet yesterday, they did blood work, and is now checking another
stool sample for worms.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Gail
August 9th 06, 09:07 PM
Maybe chronic renal failure? There is definitely something very wrong. If
your vet is unable to find anything, seek a second opinion.
Gail
"Paige" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> When my cat tries to get up it looks as though he has weakness in his
> hind legs. Finally when he does get up and starts to walk, he walks
> with his hind legs bent close to the floor. Several weeks ago he
> started defecating outside of the litter box, (we thought it was from
> stress from one of our other cat's) we brought him to the vet and they
> gave him an exam and checked his fecal waste. They found nothing wrong
> with him. Then four days ago he started with his latest problem,
> walking with his hind legs close to the floor. We brought him back to
> the vet yesterday, they did blood work, and is now checking another
> stool sample for worms.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you.
>

Paige
August 9th 06, 09:35 PM
Vet did blood work and ruled out his kidney's.



Gail wrote:
> Maybe chronic renal failure? There is definitely something very wrong. If
> your vet is unable to find anything, seek a second opinion.
> Gail
> "Paige" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > When my cat tries to get up it looks as though he has weakness in his
> > hind legs. Finally when he does get up and starts to walk, he walks
> > with his hind legs bent close to the floor. Several weeks ago he
> > started defecating outside of the litter box, (we thought it was from
> > stress from one of our other cat's) we brought him to the vet and they
> > gave him an exam and checked his fecal waste. They found nothing wrong
> > with him. Then four days ago he started with his latest problem,
> > walking with his hind legs close to the floor. We brought him back to
> > the vet yesterday, they did blood work, and is now checking another
> > stool sample for worms.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

Toni
August 10th 06, 03:19 AM
"Paige" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Vet did blood work and ruled out his kidney's.
>


Clearly something is very wrong, and clearly you know this because you sound
very worried.
And you should be.

So you have two choices:
Take the cat back to the vet and make them understand that something is very
wrong.
-or-
Take the cat to a different veterinarian and start from scratch, and make it
clear that something is terribly wrong. Write down every symptom as you have
here.

We can't help you long distance. It could be something that wouldn't show up
in bloodwork (spinal injury) or your first vet is incompetent- *we* don't
know. But I *do* know that it is going to take a hands on veterinarian to
diagnose and treat this poor kitty.

If it were me I would have him at a veterinary hospital somewhere/anywhere
when they unlock the doors in the morning. Or even an ER tonight.


--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

The Cat Whisperer
August 10th 06, 06:18 AM
just watch out for mercury poisoning.
http://www.gotmercury.org/
put in your own bodyweight and see how much you can eat safely...

your cat shouldn't be eating much of this I don't think!

I used 13# for my cat, and canned albacore tuna... and a 3oz can (which is
tiny)
it was 730% of the maximum recommended intake!
7 times the human limit per week.
maybe cats can handle it...? I won't chance it!


"Paige" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> When my cat tries to get up it looks as though he has weakness in his
> hind legs. Finally when he does get up and starts to walk, he walks
> with his hind legs bent close to the floor. Several weeks ago he
> started defecating outside of the litter box, (we thought it was from
> stress from one of our other cat's) we brought him to the vet and they
> gave him an exam and checked his fecal waste. They found nothing wrong
> with him. Then four days ago he started with his latest problem,
> walking with his hind legs close to the floor. We brought him back to
> the vet yesterday, they did blood work, and is now checking another
> stool sample for worms.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you.
>



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

The Cat Whisperer
August 10th 06, 06:21 AM
sorry for that^^ wrong thread!

"The Cat Whisperer" > wrote in message
.. .
> just watch out for mercury poisoning.
> http://www.gotmercury.org/
> put in your own bodyweight and see how much you can eat safely...
>
> your cat shouldn't be eating much of this I don't think!
>
> I used 13# for my cat, and canned albacore tuna... and a 3oz can (which is
> tiny)
> it was 730% of the maximum recommended intake!
> 7 times the human limit per week.
> maybe cats can handle it...? I won't chance it!
>
>
> "Paige" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> When my cat tries to get up it looks as though he has weakness in his
>> hind legs. Finally when he does get up and starts to walk, he walks
>> with his hind legs bent close to the floor. Several weeks ago he
>> started defecating outside of the litter box, (we thought it was from
>> stress from one of our other cat's) we brought him to the vet and they
>> gave him an exam and checked his fecal waste. They found nothing wrong
>> with him. Then four days ago he started with his latest problem,
>> walking with his hind legs close to the floor. We brought him back to
>> the vet yesterday, they did blood work, and is now checking another
>> stool sample for worms.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
>



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

jmc
August 11th 06, 11:55 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Toni exclaimed (10-Aug-06 11:49 AM):
> "Paige" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Vet did blood work and ruled out his kidney's.
>>
>
>
> Clearly something is very wrong, and clearly you know this because you sound
> very worried.
> And you should be.
>
> So you have two choices:
> Take the cat back to the vet and make them understand that something is very
> wrong.
> -or-
> Take the cat to a different veterinarian and start from scratch, and make it
> clear that something is terribly wrong. Write down every symptom as you have
> here.
>
Better yet, videotape the cat getting up and walking around. I'll now
always grab the camera when Meep's acting weird (especially movement
issues), 'cause they usually hide those things at the vet. Used it when
she got grass stuck in her soft palate; it'd shifted by the time we got
to the vet but with the video she was able to diagnose her symptoms and
sore throat.

I agree something's very wrong, and would probably seriously consider a
second opinion. Have they even done an exam of his hind limbs?

jmc