PDA

View Full Version : Cats and tuna?

Kiran
August 10th 06, 12:26 AM
Why is it that tuna is so attractive to cats? Mine, when she has eaten
and does not want anything anymore, will keep running for canned tuna
if it were available.

I understand that tuna should be fed sparingly. Is that because of
absence of balanced nutrition, which I can try to address, or presence
of harmful things like sodium, which is more difficult to address? I
found a low sodium tuna at Trader Joe's, is that acceptable?

Matthew
August 10th 06, 12:29 AM
It is not the sodium that is the only problem with I believe the mercury

"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Why is it that tuna is so attractive to cats? Mine, when she has eaten
> and does not want anything anymore, will keep running for canned tuna
> if it were available.
>
> I understand that tuna should be fed sparingly. Is that because of
> absence of balanced nutrition, which I can try to address, or presence
> of harmful things like sodium, which is more difficult to address? I
> found a low sodium tuna at Trader Joe's, is that acceptable?

August 10th 06, 01:21 AM
Kiran wrote:
> Why is it that tuna is so attractive to cats? Mine, when she has eaten
> and does not want anything anymore, will keep running for canned tuna
> if it were available.
>
> I understand that tuna should be fed sparingly. Is that because of
> absence of balanced nutrition, which I can try to address, or presence
> of harmful things like sodium, which is more difficult to address? I
> found a low sodium tuna at Trader Joe's, is that acceptable?

I think tuna as a treat in small amounts is fine. The problem comes in
when the cat decides she likes tuna better than cat food and won't eat
her cat food. Do a google search on "steatitis". The primary cause is
when cats eat too much fish, and don't get enough of the nutrients they
need, or get from cat food. Have you tried the tuna cat food? If she
likes that, it's much better for her. She'll also be getting taurine,
and the other stuff they need in their diet.

Sherry

Mike
August 10th 06, 01:38 AM
Hill's make a fish flavor cat food that is nutritionally complete. Your vet
probably has some. It ain't cheap but when it comes to our cats we should
never think about anything except their moment to moment bliss. <-:

Mike in Illinois

"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Why is it that tuna is so attractive to cats? Mine, when she has eaten
> and does not want anything anymore, will keep running for canned tuna
> if it were available.
>
> I understand that tuna should be fed sparingly. Is that because of
> absence of balanced nutrition, which I can try to address, or presence
> of harmful things like sodium, which is more difficult to address? I
> found a low sodium tuna at Trader Joe's, is that acceptable?

August 10th 06, 02:55 AM
Kiran wrote:

> I understand that tuna should be fed sparingly. Is that because of
> absence of balanced nutrition, which I can try to address, or presence
> of harmful things like sodium, which is more difficult to address? I
> found a low sodium tuna at Trader Joe's, is that acceptable?

The problem with tuna (and any fish actually) is that the cat cannot
digest fish without using vitamin E. So a diet that has too much fish
in it will result in a deficiency of vitamin E and that leads to
illness.

Cat food companies add extra vitamin E to any product with fish to
counteract this problem, so cat food is okay. But regula fish products
should be limited and not a staple part of their diet.

As to why they like it so much, it is probably because of the smell.
Cats are attracted to most foods by smell, so the stronger the smell,
the more attractive it is. Fish tends to have a stronger smell to it.

Kiran
August 10th 06, 03:14 AM
"> wrote:

: But regula fish products should be limited and not a staple part
: of their diet.

How limited is ok? How often can she have a can of tuna--once every
week, two weeks, month? Just trying to get an idea.

PS. I suppose I could add supplements too, but I am not sure if the
taste/smell will remain attractive. She likes tuna-based cat food, but
not any more than some other formulas.

Kiran
August 10th 06, 03:24 AM
> wrote:

: I think tuna as a treat in small amounts is fine.

Thanks Sherry. I am trying to get some sense of how much tuna is OK.
One can per week, 2 weeks, month?

: Have you tried the tuna cat food?

She likes it ok but surprisingly not any more than her other favorites.
However, canned tuna packed in water is a different story!

August 10th 06, 03:52 AM
Kiran wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> : I think tuna as a treat in small amounts is fine.
>
> Thanks Sherry. I am trying to get some sense of how much tuna is OK.
> One can per week, 2 weeks, month?

Gosh, I wouldn't even guess. As long as she's eating plenty of her
regular food, I don't think a can a week is too much at all. That's
only about a tablespoon a day. That's about what I give my cats when
they beg. What mine really go nuts for is whipping cream. They get
about tablespoon of that once in a while too. Mine don't like any
commercially packaged cat treats that I've ever bought.

I wonder if your kitty would go after the "grilled" variety of Fancy
Feast Tuna cat food.

Sherry

> : Have you tried the tuna cat food?
>
> She likes it ok but surprisingly not any more than her other favorites.
> However, canned tuna packed in water is a different story!

Matthew
August 10th 06, 04:06 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Kiran wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>
>> : I think tuna as a treat in small amounts is fine.
>>
>> Thanks Sherry. I am trying to get some sense of how much tuna is OK.
>> One can per week, 2 weeks, month?
>
> Gosh, I wouldn't even guess. As long as she's eating plenty of her
> regular food, I don't think a can a week is too much at all. That's
> only about a tablespoon a day. That's about what I give my cats when
> they beg. What mine really go nuts for is whipping cream. They get
> about tablespoon of that once in a while too. Mine don't like any
> commercially packaged cat treats that I've ever bought.
>
> I wonder if your kitty would go after the "grilled" variety of Fancy
> Feast Tuna cat food.

That has high carbs ;-) sorry now that Rumble is on the diabetic diet I
watch things like that
> Sherry
>>
>> : Have you tried the tuna cat food?
>>
>> She likes it ok but surprisingly not any more than her other favorites.
>> However, canned tuna packed in water is a different story!

August 10th 06, 05:50 AM
Once a week as a special meal is okay. Try to trade up the times (not
the same day each week), so they don't get the clever idea to pass on
the cat food till the tuna comes. Besides it adds a little excitement
to their life when any meal could be the fabulous tuna

<grin>
Matthew wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...

> >> : I think tuna as a treat in small amounts is fine.
> >>
> >> Thanks Sherry. I am trying to get some sense of how much tuna is OK.
> >> One can per week, 2 weeks, month?
> >
> > Gosh, I wouldn't even guess. As long as she's eating plenty of her
> > regular food, I don't think a can a week is too much at all. That's
> > only about a tablespoon a day. That's about what I give my cats when
> > they beg. What mine really go nuts for is whipping cream. They get
> > about tablespoon of that once in a while too. Mine don't like any
> > commercially packaged cat treats that I've ever bought.
> >
> > I wonder if your kitty would go after the "grilled" variety of Fancy
> > Feast Tuna cat food.
> >

> That has high carbs ;-) sorry now that Rumble is on the diabetic diet I
> watch things like that
> > Sherry
> >>
> >> : Have you tried the tuna cat food?
> >>
> >> She likes it ok but surprisingly not any more than her other favorites.
> >> However, canned tuna packed in water is a different story!

The Cat Whisperer
August 10th 06, 06:20 AM
just watch out for mercury poisoning.
http://www.gotmercury.org/
put in your own bodyweight and see how much you can eat safely...

your cat shouldn't be eating much of this I don't think!

I used 13# for my cat, and canned albacore tuna... and a 3oz can (which is
tiny)
it was 730% of the maximum recommended intake!
7 times the human limit per week.
maybe cats can handle it...? I won't chance it!

"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Why is it that tuna is so attractive to cats? Mine, when she has eaten
> and does not want anything anymore, will keep running for canned tuna
> if it were available.
>
> I understand that tuna should be fed sparingly. Is that because of
> absence of balanced nutrition, which I can try to address, or presence
> of harmful things like sodium, which is more difficult to address? I
> found a low sodium tuna at Trader Joe's, is that acceptable?

Mad Dog
August 10th 06, 09:51 AM
Kiran wrote:
|| Why is it that tuna is so attractive to cats? Mine, when she has
|| eaten and does not want anything anymore, will keep running for
|| canned tuna if it were available.
|| I understand that tuna should be fed sparingly. Is that because of
|| absence of balanced nutrition, which I can try to address, or
|| presence of harmful things like sodium, which is more difficult to
|| address? I found a low sodium tuna at Trader Joe's, is that
|| acceptable?

My cat's will not eat tuna unless it is the tinned cat food variety, but my
one cat will go mad for ice cream which she can smell from some distance.

--
"A horse a horse my kingdom for a horse, I haven't had a winner in six
months".

MD

The Polish-Kraut
August 10th 06, 01:53 PM
I give the 4 of mine a small can of tuna once a week as a treat and it
has never caused any problem. I guess the thing is not to over-do it.

Side note: I asked my vet about this fish thing for cats being bad
for them and she said it was an old wives tales but I would rather be
on the safe side then end up having problems down the road.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

>Once a week as a special meal is okay. Try to trade up the times (not
>the same day each week), so they don't get the clever idea to pass on
>the cat food till the tuna comes. Besides it adds a little excitement
>to their life when any meal could be the fabulous tuna
>

>> I think tuna as a treat in small amounts is fine.
>>
>> Thanks Sherry. I am trying to get some sense of how much tuna is OK.
>> One can per week, 2 weeks, month?

Kya
August 11th 06, 01:01 AM
Kiran wrote:
> "> wrote:
>
> : But regula fish products should be limited and not a staple part
> : of their diet.
>
> How limited is ok? How often can she have a can of tuna--once every
> week, two weeks, month? Just trying to get an idea.
>
> PS. I suppose I could add supplements too, but I am not sure if the
> taste/smell will remain attractive. She likes tuna-based cat food, but
> not any more than some other formulas.

How much does your cat weigh? How big is the can of tuna? My cats vary
from 5lb to 13lb. I give them about two tablespoons of tuna once every
two weeks. I get a 3oz can, mix it with water, two liquid vitamin E
capsules, and an egg. It looks like a lumpy pudding, but they love it.

August 11th 06, 01:48 AM
In article m>,
says...

> Kiran wrote:
> > Why is it that tuna is so attractive to cats? Mine, when she has eaten
> > and does not want anything anymore, will keep running for canned tuna
> > if it were available.
> >
> > I understand that tuna should be fed sparingly. Is that because of
> > absence of balanced nutrition, which I can try to address, or presence
> > of harmful things like sodium, which is more difficult to address? I
> > found a low sodium tuna at Trader Joe's, is that acceptable?
>
> I think tuna as a treat in small amounts is fine. The problem comes in
> when the cat decides she likes tuna better than cat food and won't eat
> her cat food. Do a google search on "steatitis". The primary cause is
> when cats eat too much fish, and don't get enough of the nutrients they
> need, or get from cat food. Have you tried the tuna cat food? If she
> likes that, it's much better for her. She'll also be getting taurine,
> and the other stuff they need in their diet.
>
> Sherry

I find the whole 'cats need taurine' thing very intersting. We need it
too, which gives a bit of lie to vegetarian claims.

Angie
August 12th 06, 04:33 PM
I have six adopted cats. Two of them will eat nothing but Figuro cat
food... albacore and made by the makers of Bumblebee Tuna. It has veggies
in it, yet the cats all love it.