PDA

View Full Version : Transplanting an elderly cat

Richard Evans
August 10th 06, 01:16 PM
I am faced with the prospect of adopting my mother's 22-year-old cat,
Molly. Molly has been an indoor cat all her life, is in excellent
health,and is friendly. The adoption would include transporting her
600 miles by car. I'm thinking of getting a dog kennel that would be
big enough to carry a litter box and a water dish. The kennel would be
in a truck bed under a cap. Ambient temperatures would be about 90
degrees. The cap has windows I could leave open to keep it cool while
moving. There would be free air flow while stopped.

Best case, I drive non-stop for 10-11 hours. Worst, I have to stop
overnight.

Is this practical? What are the prospects for her handling the trip
then being put in a home with six cats and two dogs when she's been by
herself all her life?

Ollie Clark
August 10th 06, 03:46 PM
Richard Evans wrote:
> I am faced with the prospect of adopting my mother's 22-year-old cat,
> Molly. Molly has been an indoor cat all her life, is in excellent
> health,and is friendly. The adoption would include transporting her
> 600 miles by car. I'm thinking of getting a dog kennel that would be
> big enough to carry a litter box and a water dish. The kennel would be
> in a truck bed under a cap. Ambient temperatures would be about 90
> degrees. The cap has windows I could leave open to keep it cool while
> moving. There would be free air flow while stopped.
>
> Best case, I drive non-stop for 10-11 hours. Worst, I have to stop
> overnight.
>
> Is this practical? What are the prospects for her handling the trip
> then being put in a home with six cats and two dogs when she's been by
> herself all her life?

Totally depends on the cat. If she's used to travelling, it wont be a
problem. If not, you might want to see a vet before going to get advice
and maybe some tranquilisers. We've got two cats at the moment who seem to
quite enjoy travelling and I wouldn't think twice about taking them on a
day long drive. They'd just curl up in their carriers and sleep for the
whole trip. My mum has a cat who will go mad if you so much as take him close
to a car. He has been on long trips but he usually soils himself, will wail
for the whole journey and takes a few days to recover from the ordeal.

I'd be /far/ more worried about introducing her to a household full of
animals!

Veloise
August 10th 06, 06:47 PM
Richard Evans wrote:
> I am faced with the prospect of adopting my mother's 22-year-old cat,
> Molly. Molly has been an indoor cat all her life, is in excellent
> health,and is friendly. The adoption would include transporting her
> 600 miles by car.

You might prime the pump by taking her out for ice cream or another
destination with a reward (noooo, not the vet!). It wil also help if
she gets used to you beforehand.

> I'm thinking of getting a dog kennel that would be
> big enough to carry a litter box and a water dish. The kennel would be
> in a truck bed under a cap. Ambient temperatures would be about 90
> degrees. The cap has windows I could leave open to keep it cool while
> moving. There would be free air flow while stopped.
>
> Best case, I drive non-stop for 10-11 hours. Worst, I have to stop
> overnight.

If you do stop overnight, Molly needs to get out and stretch her legs.
My cats have done fine in motels and friends' houses.

> Is this practical? What are the prospects for her handling the trip
> then being put in a home with six cats and two dogs when she's been by
> herself all her life?

The trip should be fine. She might holler for the first 30 minutes but
then curl up and wait.
New housemates will be a big adjustment, and there's much good advice
about helping everyone adjust to a new situation. What's the story with
your mother?

HTH

--Karen D.