PDA

View Full Version : Stroke in Cat

threedawgnite
August 11th 06, 03:14 AM
Hello,
I'm new to the group. I own seven cats, 3 dogs and 3 fish. It's like a
zoo here!
I've got a question for everyone: Has anyone ever had a cat that has
had a stroke?
My 3 year old neutered male, Ralph had what the vet thinks is a stroke
last Monday. He can walk fairly well now, eats occasionally and at the
moment is being crated in the house. I am admistering sub-Q fluids
every other day now since we are not sure about his fluid intake. He
sleeps a lot and I was also wondering about some sort of therapy. Since
he was an outdoor cat (he never ran free. He has a building with an
enclosure for playing outside), I thought putting him in his
building/enclosure for a hour a day might be good therapy. I can only
do this in the evening when it is not too hot, because he cannot seem
to regulate his body temperature. The stroke seems to have damaged his
hypothalamus. We are not certain what caused the stroke since I do not
have the money for a spinal tap, MRI or veterinary neurologist! It
could happen again but for now Ralph seems comfortable and fairly
happy. Not much info. on feline strokes on internet.
Any helpful tips and info. greatly appreciated. Thanks

August 11th 06, 12:24 PM
threedawgnite wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new to the group. I own seven cats, 3 dogs and 3 fish. It's like a
> zoo here!
> I've got a question for everyone: Has anyone ever had a cat that has
> had a stroke?
> My 3 year old neutered male, Ralph had what the vet thinks is a stroke
> last Monday. He can walk fairly well now, eats occasionally and at the
> moment is being crated in the house. I am admistering sub-Q fluids
> every other day now since we are not sure about his fluid intake. He
> sleeps a lot and I was also wondering about some sort of therapy. Since
> he was an outdoor cat (he never ran free. He has a building with an
> enclosure for playing outside), I thought putting him in his
> building/enclosure for a hour a day might be good therapy. I can only
> do this in the evening when it is not too hot, because he cannot seem
> to regulate his body temperature. The stroke seems to have damaged his
> hypothalamus. We are not certain what caused the stroke since I do not
> have the money for a spinal tap, MRI or veterinary neurologist! It
> could happen again but for now Ralph seems comfortable and fairly
> happy. Not much info. on feline strokes on internet.
> Any helpful tips and info. greatly appreciated. Thanks

Our cat had a stroke at appx. age 13. He eventually recovered enough to
have a very good quality of life; the only lasting effect was his tail
drug the rest of his life. He lived five more years. This was years
ago, and the veterinary community now likely has better treatment, and
better information about strokes in cats. The only therapy he got was
1/4 of a baby aspirin every other day and extra taurine in his diet.
But, remember, this was many years ago. I'm not sure whether aspirin is
still considered a viable therapy for cats anymore. You might ask your
vet about it.
Good luck to you and your kitty.

Sherry