PDA

View Full Version : One very sick vommitting cat - please help or give any ideas

August 11th 06, 07:27 AM
My adult cat (nearly 10 years old) is throwing up her food every time
she eat for the past few weeks. It's not hairballs..what can i do to
help her not throw up? She has become so thin, only weighs around 1.8
kg.

I have not changed her food,she has been eating the same food for
years.
I took her to the vet yesterday, he did some blood tests on her and
also took some x-ray, but found nothing wrong with her. He said he
could operate on her (open her up inside) and have a look, but I am
just afraid that she won't survive surgery. Plus who know if they will
find anything even if they open her up :~(

Please help me, I love my cat. She have been my best friend for the
last 10 years and I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want her
to suffer.

What should I do now? How can I make her better?

Any ideas, help is much appreciated.

Yve

lucy707 via CatKB.com
August 11th 06, 11:28 AM
wrote:
>My adult cat (nearly 10 years old) is throwing up her food every time
>she eat for the past few weeks. It's not hairballs..what can i do to
>help her not throw up? She has become so thin, only weighs around 1.8
>kg.
>
>I have not changed her food,she has been eating the same food for
>years.
>I took her to the vet yesterday, he did some blood tests on her and
>also took some x-ray, but found nothing wrong with her. He said he
>could operate on her (open her up inside) and have a look, but I am
>just afraid that she won't survive surgery. Plus who know if they will
>find anything even if they open her up :~(
>
>Please help me, I love my cat. She have been my best friend for the
>last 10 years and I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want her
>to suffer.
>
>What should I do now? How can I make her better?
>
>Any ideas, help is much appreciated.
>
>Yve

I would try a different food. I'm no expert, but I think you should try to
switch foods and make sure she's drinking enough water. If things don't
improve I would take her to a different vet for a second opinion (you might
want to do that anyway). Good luck, I'm sure things will be fine.

jmc
August 11th 06, 11:56 AM
Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (11-Aug-06 3:57 PM):
> My adult cat (nearly 10 years old) is throwing up her food every time
> she eat for the past few weeks. It's not hairballs..what can i do to
> help her not throw up? She has become so thin, only weighs around 1.8
> kg.

Sorry, but how do you know it's not hairballs? Sounds like a possible
impaction to me...

jmc

August 11th 06, 12:30 PM
On 10 Aug 2006 23:27:44 -0700, wrote:

>My adult cat (nearly 10 years old) is throwing up her food every time
>she eat for the past few weeks. It's not hairballs..what can i do to
>help her not throw up? She has become so thin, only weighs around 1.8
>kg.
>
>I have not changed her food,she has been eating the same food for
>years.
>I took her to the vet yesterday, he did some blood tests on her and
>also took some x-ray, but found nothing wrong with her. He said he
>could operate on her (open her up inside) and have a look, but I am
>just afraid that she won't survive surgery. Plus who know if they will
>find anything even if they open her up :~(
>
>Please help me, I love my cat. She have been my best friend for the
>last 10 years and I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want her
>to suffer.
>
>What should I do now? How can I make her better?

Get another opinion by another vet.

Best wishes

Wendy
August 11th 06, 04:34 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My adult cat (nearly 10 years old) is throwing up her food every time
> she eat for the past few weeks. It's not hairballs..what can i do to
> help her not throw up? She has become so thin, only weighs around 1.8
> kg.
>
> I have not changed her food,she has been eating the same food for
> years.
> I took her to the vet yesterday, he did some blood tests on her and
> also took some x-ray, but found nothing wrong with her. He said he
> could operate on her (open her up inside) and have a look, but I am
> just afraid that she won't survive surgery. Plus who know if they will
> find anything even if they open her up :~(
>
> Please help me, I love my cat. She have been my best friend for the
> last 10 years and I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want her
> to suffer.
>
> What should I do now? How can I make her better?
>
> Any ideas, help is much appreciated.
>
> Yve

I'd get another opinion. A hairball might not show up on x-ray. Don't know
if it would show up on an ultra-sound or not but would think there has to be
some kind of diagnostic tool shy of surgery that would tell you something.
Did he have any ideas at all what it might be?

August 11th 06, 06:39 PM
wrote:

>My adult cat (nearly 10 years old) is throwing up her food every time
>she eat for the past few weeks. It's not hairballs..what can i do to
>help her not throw up? She has become so thin, only weighs around 1.8
>kg.
>
>I have not changed her food,she has been eating the same food for
>years.
>I took her to the vet yesterday, he did some blood tests on her and
>also took some x-ray, but found nothing wrong with her. He said he
>could operate on her (open her up inside) and have a look, but I am
>just afraid that she won't survive surgery. Plus who know if they will
>find anything even if they open her up :~(
>
>Please help me, I love my cat. She have been my best friend for the
>last 10 years and I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want her
>to suffer.
>
>What should I do now? How can I make her better?
>
>Any ideas, help is much appreciated.
>
>Yve

I would go to another vet immediately - one who is a little proactive.
That surgery thing he mentioned was his way of saying give up.

First I would get an ultra sound to look for things X-rays don't
catch. Secondly switch to a prescription diet for sensitive stomachs.
Perhaps Hill's A/D.

Ask if the blood tests were a full panel.

Good Luck!
-mhd

August 12th 06, 02:40 PM
you cat keep up phyiscn.
Special nurse carlful day and night.

wrote:
> My adult cat (nearly 10 years old) is throwing up her food every time
> she eat for the past few weeks. It's not hairballs..what can i do to
> help her not throw up? She has become so thin, only weighs around 1.8
> kg.
>
> I have not changed her food,she has been eating the same food for
> years.
> I took her to the vet yesterday, he did some blood tests on her and
> also took some x-ray, but found nothing wrong with her. He said he
> could operate on her (open her up inside) and have a look, but I am
> just afraid that she won't survive surgery. Plus who know if they will
> find anything even if they open her up :~(
>
> Please help me, I love my cat. She have been my best friend for the
> last 10 years and I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want her
> to suffer.
>
> What should I do now? How can I make her better?
>
> Any ideas, help is much appreciated.
>
> Yve

August 12th 06, 02:41 PM

wrote:
> My adult cat (nearly 10 years old) is throwing up her food every time
> she eat for the past few weeks. It's not hairballs..what can i do to
> help her not throw up? She has become so thin, only weighs around 1.8
> kg.
>
> I have not changed her food,she has been eating the same food for
> years.
> I took her to the vet yesterday, he did some blood tests on her and
> also took some x-ray, but found nothing wrong with her. He said he
> could operate on her (open her up inside) and have a look, but I am
> just afraid that she won't survive surgery. Plus who know if they will
> find anything even if they open her up :~(
>
> Please help me, I love my cat. She have been my best friend for the
> last 10 years and I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want her
> to suffer.
>
> What should I do now? How can I make her better?
>
> Any ideas, help is much appreciated.
>
> Yve

August 13th 06, 01:27 AM
Thanks for all your help. The vet did a full blood test on her, and
also 4 or 5 X-ray he couldn't find anything wrong. He think she have
stomach cancer, but he wasn't very confident, so he wanted to operate
on her (i.e open her up) and have a look inside. My cat is very old,
and weak, so the chance of her surviving the operation is not good, and
plus who know if the vet can find anything wrong with her.

I follow some of your suggestion, feeding her (special vetinary cat
food) a little (1 tea spoon) in every couple of hours. She is able to
hold those food down. I also gave her some lactose free milk, and she
drank it too.

I will also take her to another vet for second opinion. Thank you all
for your help/advise. It's much appreciated.

August 13th 06, 01:28 AM
Thanks for all your help. The vet did a full blood test on her, and
also 4 or 5 X-ray he couldn't find anything wrong. He think she have
stomach cancer, but he wasn't very confident, so he wanted to operate
on her (i.e open her up) and have a look inside. My cat is very old,
and weak, so the chance of her surviving the operation is not good, and
plus who know if the vet can find anything wrong with her.

I follow some of your suggestion, feeding her (special vetinary cat
food) a little (1 tea spoon) in every couple of hours. She is able to
hold those food down. I also gave her some lactose free milk, and she
drank it too.

I will also take her to another vet for second opinion. Thank you all
for your help/advise. It's much appreciated.

Gail
August 13th 06, 01:50 AM
Let us know what the second vet says.
Gail
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for all your help. The vet did a full blood test on her, and
> also 4 or 5 X-ray he couldn't find anything wrong. He think she have
> stomach cancer, but he wasn't very confident, so he wanted to operate
> on her (i.e open her up) and have a look inside. My cat is very old,
> and weak, so the chance of her surviving the operation is not good, and
> plus who know if the vet can find anything wrong with her.
>
> I follow some of your suggestion, feeding her (special vetinary cat
> food) a little (1 tea spoon) in every couple of hours. She is able to
> hold those food down. I also gave her some lactose free milk, and she
> drank it too.
>
> I will also take her to another vet for second opinion. Thank you all
> for your help/advise. It's much appreciated.

Wendy
August 16th 06, 11:47 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Thanks for all your help. The vet did a full blood test on her, and
> also 4 or 5 X-ray he couldn't find anything wrong. He think she have
> stomach cancer, but he wasn't very confident, so he wanted to operate
> on her (i.e open her up) and have a look inside. My cat is very old,
> and weak, so the chance of her surviving the operation is not good, and
> plus who know if the vet can find anything wrong with her.
>
> I follow some of your suggestion, feeding her (special vetinary cat
> food) a little (1 tea spoon) in every couple of hours. She is able to
> hold those food down. I also gave her some lactose free milk, and she
> drank it too.
>
> I will also take her to another vet for second opinion. Thank you all
> for your help/advise. It's much appreciated.

Is there a facility near you where they can do an ultrasound? It's not cheap
but should be cheaper than surgery and a lot easier on the cat.

Rene S.
August 16th 06, 04:01 PM
wrote:
> Thanks for all your help. The vet did a full blood test on her, and
> also 4 or 5 X-ray he couldn't find anything wrong. He think she have
> stomach cancer, but he wasn't very confident, so he wanted to operate
> on her (i.e open her up) and have a look inside. My cat is very old,
> and weak, so the chance of her surviving the operation is not good, and
> plus who know if the vet can find anything wrong with her.
>
> I follow some of your suggestion, feeding her (special vetinary cat
> food) a little (1 tea spoon) in every couple of hours. She is able to
> hold those food down. I also gave her some lactose free milk, and she
> drank it too.
>
> I will also take her to another vet for second opinion. Thank you all
> for your help/advise. It's much appreciated.

I'm so sorry that your kitty is not doing well. Have you asked the vet
about the possibility of pancreatitis? My Tucker went through that last
winter and could not keep any food down. The bloodwork should show some
elevated amalazye (sp?) numbers, and an ultrasound would confirm it. I
am not a vet but at this point it's something to ask about.

You can also try feeding your kitty meat baby food (turkey or chicken),
warmed slightly. Ask your vet about giving her sub-Q fluids at home to
keep her hydrated. It's not hard to do and will help her feel better
since she's losing so much fluid when vomiting.

Hang in there. A second opinion is a good idea. Get copies of all the
records to show the other vet.

Rene