PDA

View Full Version : 4 Female housecats, litter troubles (long)

Lepak Nerat
August 11th 06, 02:29 PM
The Suspects: Tinkerbell (3 yrs) daughter to Yoda (5 yrs) ----------
Jojo (7 yrs) daughter to Rissa (9 yrs) all Devon Rex rescues: Rissa/Jojo
had 2 yrs+
(s)tinkerbell and Yoda 11 months.

The Problem: weeing and pooing outside of litter trays. (right next too
in fact)

The location: I have 5 trays (all located very close together in a line
pretty much) so one per cat and one extra. Cleaned every day. However
(and has been witnessed) Rissa and Tinker both poo outside (read next
too) and Tinker wees outside them, I have vinyl flooring so it runs for
miles with the slope of the floor. The smell is appalling, Tinker has
tummy troubles anyway so always has runny poo as well.
I have tried moving the trays but still they pee/poo in the same place.
I am limited on space and where I can put trays, they don't tend to go
anywhere else in the house.

I have read some of the older posts in the group and will invest in a
couple of bigger trays but Tinker is a small cat. kitten size almost.

To make matters worse I suspect Jojo watches Rissa pooing outside and
then follows her example, always does!!
I have a glass door in the area that leads outside, I am looking into
having an extractor fitted to release (hopefully) some of the smell. I
also use an 'oust' plug in sprayer to neutralize the odor.

Comments please, driving me insane with the smell.......use flash floor
cleaner too.

Lepak.
Ever tried typing with and keyboard and at least one cat on your lap?
you have not lived.

Matthew
August 11th 06, 02:42 PM
Recommendations

One take the cats to a vet to rule out medical problems UTI and such.
Than you can deal with behavior problems

Second Natures' miracle or urine gone to get rid of the scent. Even
though a cat sees another cat do it they will do it where
the smell is. Big problem since they keep going in the same place means
you have not got the scent out yet. Also try
getting a large piece of vinyl such as a chair mat to put under them.
They make vinyl rugs best investment they are about $20

Third try a different brand of litter bigger boxes a must size of
the cat does not matter they need room to maneuver and
feel comfortable. Make sure where the boxes are is a quiet place not a lot
of traffic thru it just like us cats like peace and
quiet

Four go buy a few boxes of baking soda ( powder) place a open box
near the boxes they will absorbs odors. In the
bottom of your litter pans put some baking soda ( powder) in the bottom
and than some newspapers on top before you place any
litter down. Absorbs the smells easier to clean up good way to use ld
newspaper

"Lepak Nerat" > wrote in message

> The Suspects: Tinkerbell (3 yrs) daughter to Yoda (5 yrs) ----------
> Jojo (7 yrs) daughter to Rissa (9 yrs) all Devon Rex rescues: Rissa/Jojo
> had 2 yrs+
> (s)tinkerbell and Yoda 11 months.
>
> The Problem: weeing and pooing outside of litter trays. (right next too in
> fact)
>
> The location: I have 5 trays (all located very close together in a line
> pretty much) so one per cat and one extra. Cleaned every day. However (and
> has been witnessed) Rissa and Tinker both poo outside (read next too) and
> Tinker wees outside them, I have vinyl flooring so it runs for miles with
> the slope of the floor. The smell is appalling, Tinker has tummy troubles
> anyway so always has runny poo as well.
> I have tried moving the trays but still they pee/poo in the same place. I
> am limited on space and where I can put trays, they don't tend to go
> anywhere else in the house.
>
> I have read some of the older posts in the group and will invest in a
> couple of bigger trays but Tinker is a small cat. kitten size almost.
>
> To make matters worse I suspect Jojo watches Rissa pooing outside and then
> follows her example, always does!!
> I have a glass door in the area that leads outside, I am looking into
> having an extractor fitted to release (hopefully) some of the smell. I
> also use an 'oust' plug in sprayer to neutralize the odor.
>
> Comments please, driving me insane with the smell.......use flash floor
> cleaner too.
>
> Lepak.
> Ever tried typing with and keyboard and at least one cat on your lap? you
> have not lived.

Lepak Nerat
August 11th 06, 02:49 PM
area is very 'quiet' no throughput of traffic except cats. or my stereo
Cat litter is 'worlds best cat litter' I have tried Catsan but I
find it travelled all over the house.

One other thing I forgot to say was when tinker tries to go she will
'scrabble' on the floor to try to cover it up, but has nothing to cover
it up with cos she is not in the tray!!

Matthew wrote:
> Recommendations
>
> One take the cats to a vet to rule out medical problems UTI and such.
> Than you can deal with behavior problems
>
> Second Natures' miracle or urine gone to get rid of the scent. Even
> though a cat sees another cat do it they will do it where
> the smell is. Big problem since they keep going in the same place means
> you have not got the scent out yet. Also try
> getting a large piece of vinyl such as a chair mat to put under them.
> They make vinyl rugs best investment they are about $20
>
> Third try a different brand of litter bigger boxes a must size of
> the cat does not matter they need room to maneuver and
> feel comfortable. Make sure where the boxes are is a quiet place not a lot
> of traffic thru it just like us cats like peace and
> quiet
>
> Four go buy a few boxes of baking soda ( powder) place a open box
> near the boxes they will absorbs odors. In the
> bottom of your litter pans put some baking soda ( powder) in the bottom
> and than some newspapers on top before you place any
> litter down. Absorbs the smells easier to clean up good way to use ld
> newspaper
>

> "Lepak Nerat" > wrote in message
>> The Suspects: Tinkerbell (3 yrs) daughter to Yoda (5 yrs) ----------
>> Jojo (7 yrs) daughter to Rissa (9 yrs) all Devon Rex rescues: Rissa/Jojo
>> had 2 yrs+
>> (s)tinkerbell and Yoda 11 months.
>>
>> The Problem: weeing and pooing outside of litter trays. (right next too in
>> fact)
>>
>> The location: I have 5 trays (all located very close together in a line
>> pretty much) so one per cat and one extra. Cleaned every day. However (and
>> has been witnessed) Rissa and Tinker both poo outside (read next too) and
>> Tinker wees outside them, I have vinyl flooring so it runs for miles with
>> the slope of the floor. The smell is appalling, Tinker has tummy troubles
>> anyway so always has runny poo as well.
>> I have tried moving the trays but still they pee/poo in the same place. I
>> am limited on space and where I can put trays, they don't tend to go
>> anywhere else in the house.
>>
>> I have read some of the older posts in the group and will invest in a
>> couple of bigger trays but Tinker is a small cat. kitten size almost.
>>
>> To make matters worse I suspect Jojo watches Rissa pooing outside and then
>> follows her example, always does!!
>> I have a glass door in the area that leads outside, I am looking into
>> having an extractor fitted to release (hopefully) some of the smell. I
>> also use an 'oust' plug in sprayer to neutralize the odor.
>>
>> Comments please, driving me insane with the smell.......use flash floor
>> cleaner too.
>>
>> Lepak.
>> Ever tried typing with and keyboard and at least one cat on your lap? you
>> have not lived.

Sandra Loosemore
August 11th 06, 03:30 PM
Lepak Nerat > writes:

> Comments please, driving me insane with the smell.......use flash
> floor cleaner too.

I agree a vet check for all the suspects is in order.

One of my senior-citizen cats has been having problems lately with
peeing right in front of the box because she leaves her hind end
hanging out. Even though she's a very small cat, I invested in an
"extra-giant" covered box -- the largest one I could find at the pet
store, both longer and deeper than a standard box -- and bought a
package of puppy training pads to put underneath it. The former has
cut down dramatically on the number of "accidents", and the latter
greatly simplifies clean-up if she does still miss the target.

-Sandra

MaryL
August 11th 06, 03:37 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
. ..
> Recommendations
>
> One take the cats to a vet to rule out medical problems UTI and
> such. Than you can deal with behavior problems
>
> Second Natures' miracle or urine gone to get rid of the scent. Even
> though a cat sees another cat do it they will do it where the smell is.
> Big problem since they keep going in the same place means you have not got
> the scent out yet. Also try getting a large piece
> of vinyl such as a chair mat to put under them. They make vinyl rugs
> best investment they are about $20
>
> Third try a different brand of litter bigger boxes a must size of
> the cat does not matter they need room to maneuver and feel comfortable.
> Make sure where the boxes are is a quiet place not a lot of traffic thru
> it just like us cats like peace and quiet
>
> Four go buy a few boxes of baking soda ( powder) place a open box
> near the boxes they will absorbs odors. In the bottom of your litter
> pans put some baking soda ( powder) in the bottom and than some
> newspapers on top before you place any litter down.
> Absorbs the smells easier to clean up good way to use ld newspaper

Good suggestions. In addition, it may be a mistake to place all of the
boxes close together in a row. Place at least one at some distance from the
others, preferably in another room. There is a product called Cat Attract
that you also might want to try. It supposedly includes some "attractants"
that help with litterbox problems. Here is some information:
http://www.showcatsonline.com/x/cat_attract.htm

Most important, though, is to first have medical exams to rule out UTI.
That is the most common cause of "inappropriate" urination.

MaryL