PDA

View Full Version : Cat Claw Ripped Out

Bgarland2011
August 11th 06, 08:33 PM
Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
front claws?

My cat seems to have ripped out one of the claws on his front left paw.
Until last night he had seemed fine even after this happened. He wasn't
limping, was still very playful, and still continued to jump up onto things
just like normal. Then last night he jumped up into the chair next to me one
time and immediately began to cry like he was in pain. Now he has a
noticeable limp, and while he still wants to play and run around I can tell
that it is bothering him.

Is there anything to be done besides take him to the vet?

Buddy
August 11th 06, 08:40 PM
Please take him to the vet. It is probably infected. How would you
feel if you ripped out a finger nail?

Bgarland2011 wrote:
> Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
> front claws?
>
> My cat seems to have ripped out one of the claws on his front left paw.
> Until last night he had seemed fine even after this happened. He wasn't
> limping, was still very playful, and still continued to jump up onto things
> just like normal. Then last night he jumped up into the chair next to me one
> time and immediately began to cry like he was in pain. Now he has a
> noticeable limp, and while he still wants to play and run around I can tell
> that it is bothering him.
>
> Is there anything to be done besides take him to the vet?

The Polish-Kraut
August 11th 06, 08:47 PM
Take him to the vet. He may need to be put on an antibiotic f to
guard against infection and if to badly injured it might need to be
wrapped to keep out dirt and such like when it uses litter box.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

>Please take him to the vet. It is probably infected. How would you
>feel if you ripped out a finger nail?

>> Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
>> front claws?
>>
>> My cat seems to have ripped out one of the claws on his front left paw.
>> Until last night he had seemed fine even after this happened. He wasn't
>> limping, was still very playful, and still continued to jump up onto things
>> just like normal. Then last night he jumped up into the chair next to me one
>> time and immediately began to cry like he was in pain. Now he has a
>> noticeable limp, and while he still wants to play and run around I can tell
>> that it is bothering him.
>>
>> Is there anything to be done besides take him to the vet?

Bgarland2011
August 11th 06, 09:00 PM
That was my gut instinct as well, I was just hoping that there was maybe
something that I could do for him. I will work on getting him an appointment.

The Polish-Kraut wrote:
>Take him to the vet. He may need to be put on an antibiotic f to
>guard against infection and if to badly injured it might need to be
>wrapped to keep out dirt and such like when it uses litter box.
>
>My furbabies
>
>http://members.aol.com/larrystark/
>
>>Please take him to the vet. It is probably infected. How would you
>>feel if you ripped out a finger nail?
>
>>> Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
>>> front claws?
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>>>
>>> Is there anything to be done besides take him to the vet?

The Polish-Kraut
August 11th 06, 09:20 PM
You will be doing the best you can for it by takeing it to the vet
ASAP.

Our prayers and purrs are on the way for you and your baby.

Good luck.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

>That was my gut instinct as well, I was just hoping that there was maybe
>something that I could do for him. I will work on getting him an appointment.
>

>The Polish-Kraut wrote:
>>Take him to the vet. He may need to be put on an antibiotic f to
>>guard against infection and if to badly injured it might need to be
>>wrapped to keep out dirt and such like when it uses litter box.
>>
>>My furbabies
>>
>>http://members.aol.com/larrystark/
>>
>>>Please take him to the vet. It is probably infected. How would you
>>>feel if you ripped out a finger nail?

>>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]

yngver
August 11th 06, 09:26 PM
Bgarland2011 wrote:
> That was my gut instinct as well, I was just hoping that there was maybe
> something that I could do for him. I will work on getting him an appointment.

When that happened to our cat we used some antisceptic cream made for
dogs and cats, before we took her to the vet. However, our cat never
appeared to be in pain, although there was some blood from the nail
bed. The vet said just to leave it alone unless there were signs of
infection, although he did put something else on it. We never knew how
she ripped the claw out, and it did grow back. I agree, take him to the
vet just to make sure it's not infected and doesn't become infected
later.
-yngver

William Hamblen
August 12th 06, 02:15 AM
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:33:56 GMT, "Bgarland2011" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is there anything to be done besides take him to the vet?

There aren't any home remedies other than keeping the cat inside and
quiet. You ought to take your cat to the vet if the wound is still
bleeding or if it looks swollen or infected. Cats can aggravate the
wound if they bite or lick it. An e-collar could be needed to keep
the cat from bothering the wound. Antibiotics could be needed to
treat an infection.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Anonymous
August 12th 06, 07:02 AM

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Is there anything to be done besides take him to the vet?

There aren't any home remedies other than keeping the cat inside and
quiet. You ought to take your cat to the vet if the wound is still
bleeding or if it looks swollen or infected. Cats can aggravate the
wound if they bite or lick it. An e-collar could be needed to keep
the cat from bothering the wound. Antibiotics could be needed to
treat an infection.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

-L.
August 12th 06, 08:45 AM
Bgarland2011 wrote:
> Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
> front claws?

This is called an avulsed nail. It needs to be surgically removed.

-L.

Mr E
August 17th 06, 06:41 PM
my sisters rabbit did the exact same thing and we took it to the vet, a
bandage was applied to keep it clean and she was given anti biotics, I take
it your little fur ball will prob need the same. would be sore id say,
breaking a nail to the quick and hitting it off something is sore enough
never mind having to walk around on it lol

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Bgarland2011 wrote:
>> Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of
>> his
>> front claws?
>>

> This is called an avulsed nail. It needs to be surgically removed.
>
> -L.

Fat Freddy
August 21st 06, 04:14 PM
>> Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
>> front claws?

That happened to my cat and I didn't notice it until it started to
smell, which of course indicated infection. I took him to the vet and
he was going to declaw that toe but I told him just to clean it up.

The bandage lasted about two hours before kitty was able to get it off,
but during the next few days I watched it closely and cleaned it a
couple times a day with Betadine.

It healed up fine, a new claw grew out, and there is no sign of the injury.

yngver
August 21st 06, 05:01 PM
Fat Freddy wrote:
> >> Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
> >> front claws?
>
> That happened to my cat and I didn't notice it until it started to
> smell, which of course indicated infection. I took him to the vet and
> he was going to declaw that toe but I told him just to clean it up.
>
> The bandage lasted about two hours before kitty was able to get it off,
> but during the next few days I watched it closely and cleaned it a
> couple times a day with Betadine.
>
> It healed up fine, a new claw grew out, and there is no sign of the injury.

Yes, when this happened to our cat, the vet said she might have to
declaw her on that one toe. I really didn't want to do that, and just
as with your cat, the toe healed fine and the new claw that grew out
looks perfectly normal. I'd never rush into declawing if it can be
avoided, even if it's just one toe.
-yngver