PDA

View Full Version : dental hygeine for cats

maryannk
August 12th 06, 01:05 AM
I took my babies in for their shots/annual exam this week and it turns
out that my little baby Elfie-Welfie has visible tartar problems on her
back teeth. She is scheduled to have her teeth cleaned soon and my oh
my is it going to be expensive!!!!!!

Here are the stats on Elfie-Welfie: 17 months old, domestic short-hair,
spayed female, eats dry food, brother/littermate doesn't have any
tartar problems, very active, spends approx 1 hr per day outside, can't
catch mice/squirrels to save her life.

I'm looking for tips on preventative care for her teeth in the future.
She doesn't deserve to have filthy teeth and she'll leave me penniless
if she has to have them cleaned all the time. Does anyone have
particular toothpastes they think are effective? Brands of kitty
treats? Ways to coax little furballs into having their teeth brushed
all the time? Any tips would be helpful.

Here's a picture of my little darling waiting to be served:
http://public.fotki.com/KiwiBoris/miscellaneous/kitties/img_2535.html

lucy707 via CatKB.com
August 12th 06, 09:21 AM
There are tartar and plaque control treats that my little kitty loves. All I
have to do is shake the bag and she comes running! I have also read about
little "toothbrushes" that slide onto your finger, and they're disposable.
Just some products you might want to try!

BudGan61
August 12th 06, 04:46 PM
lucy707 via CatKB.com wrote:

> There are tartar and plaque control treats that my little kitty loves. All I
> have to do is shake the bag and she comes running! I have also read about
> little "toothbrushes" that slide onto your finger, and they're disposable.
> Just some products you might want to try!

Also, there is a water additive that you can use to deter build-up and
Science Diet Oral Care kibble does a nice job of "brushing" teeth when
eaten.

The Cat Whisperer
August 12th 06, 10:08 PM
water additive???
tell us more please!

"BudGan61" > wrote in message
> lucy707 via CatKB.com wrote:
>
>> There are tartar and plaque control treats that my little kitty loves.
>> All I
>> have to do is shake the bag and she comes running! I have also read about
>> little "toothbrushes" that slide onto your finger, and they're
>> disposable.
>> Just some products you might want to try!
>>

> Also, there is a water additive that you can use to deter build-up and
> Science Diet Oral Care kibble does a nice job of "brushing" teeth when
> eaten.

BudGan61
August 12th 06, 11:37 PM
The Cat Whisperer wrote:
> water additive???
> tell us more please!

It's made by Petkin and I got it at Petsmart. Oral Hygiene liquid
that you add to the cat's water fountain or bowl.

> "BudGan61" > wrote in message
>
>>lucy707 via CatKB.com wrote:
>>

>>>There are tartar and plaque control treats that my little kitty loves.
>>>All I
>>>have to do is shake the bag and she comes running! I have also read about
>>>little "toothbrushes" that slide onto your finger, and they're
>>>disposable.
>>>Just some products you might want to try!
>>>

>>Also, there is a water additive that you can use to deter build-up and
>>Science Diet Oral Care kibble does a nice job of "brushing" teeth when
>>eaten.

maryannk
August 13th 06, 10:19 PM
thanks for the tips, everyone!

BudGan61 wrote:
> The Cat Whisperer wrote:
> > water additive???
> > tell us more please!
>
> It's made by Petkin and I got it at Petsmart. Oral Hygiene liquid
> that you add to the cat's water fountain or bowl.

> >>Also, there is a water additive that you can use to deter build-up and
> >>Science Diet Oral Care kibble does a nice job of "brushing" teeth when
> >>eaten.

Petzl
August 13th 06, 10:49 PM
"BudGan61" > wrote in message

|| The Cat Whisperer wrote:
||| water additive???
||| tell us more please!
|| It's made by Petkin and I got it at Petsmart. Oral Hygiene liquid
|| that you add to the cat's water fountain or bowl.
http://tinyurl.com/n3avx
google comes up with

--

Petzl