PDA

View Full Version : ear mite treatment?

Homer J. Fong
August 12th 06, 03:29 AM
I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run
to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
mite meds.

-HJF

Matthew
August 12th 06, 03:50 AM
If the cat is scratching its ears and you can see black grit, that's
probably earmites. Consult your vet for appropriate ear drops. Ear mites
stay in the ears, but can be passed from cat to cat, especially if they
groom each other. The life cycle of an ear mite is entirely within the ear,
so you do not have to worry about ridding your house of them the way you do
fleas. Cats typically shake their heads when given the medication; unless
the medication actually comes back out, that is OK. An additional step to
take is to soak a cotton ball or pad in mineral oil (baby oil is fine), and
clean out the outer ear (do not poke into the canal). That rids the upper
ear of any ear mites lodged higher up than the canal, and makes it difficult
for the ear mites to reestablish themselves.
Scratching and a discharge from the ears means a bacterial or fungal
infection and the vet should be immediately consulted. Other possible causes
of scratching include fleas, lice, eczema, allergies, or stud tail (in male
cats

"Homer J. Fong" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the woods),
>and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for Wednesday, but
>is there something I can use before then to give this little guy some
>relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run to the pet supply
>stores to see if there are any over the counter ear mite meds.
>

> -HJF

August 12th 06, 05:44 PM
In article <[email protected]>,
says...
> I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
> woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
> Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
> little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run
> to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
> mite meds.
>

> -HJF

Ear mites are common but I'm not sure you can do much. But just wait
until you have to put the drops in your kittens ears. Fun!

August 12th 06, 05:45 PM
In article >,
says...
> If the cat is scratching its ears and you can see black grit, that's
> probably earmites. Consult your vet for appropriate ear drops. Ear mites
> stay in the ears, but can be passed from cat to cat, especially if they
> groom each other. The life cycle of an ear mite is entirely within the ear,
> so you do not have to worry about ridding your house of them the way you do
> fleas. Cats typically shake their heads when given the medication; unless
> the medication actually comes back out, that is OK. An additional step to
> take is to soak a cotton ball or pad in mineral oil (baby oil is fine), and
> clean out the outer ear (do not poke into the canal). That rids the upper
> ear of any ear mites lodged higher up than the canal, and makes it difficult
> for the ear mites to reestablish themselves.
> Scratching and a discharge from the ears means a bacterial or fungal
> infection and the vet should be immediately consulted. Other possible causes
> of scratching include fleas, lice, eczema, allergies, or stud tail (in male
> cats

This goes back nearly 17 years but the medication I was given for
Randy's ear mites was actually designed for the fact that a cat will try
to shake out liquid in the ear.

BudGan61
August 12th 06, 11:37 PM
Homer J. Fong wrote:

> I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
> woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
> Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
> little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run
> to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
> mite meds.
>

> -HJF

One dose of Revolution will take of it!

yngver
August 14th 06, 05:25 PM
BudGan61 wrote:
> Homer J. Fong wrote:
>
> > I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
> > woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
> > Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
> > little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run
> > to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
> > mite meds.
> >

> > -HJF
> >

> One dose of Revolution will take of it!

Our vet said two doses of Revolution, one dose two weeks apart, but it
sure did get rid of the ear mites for a stray we took in, and she had a
terrible infestation. The fact that our other cats were already on
Revolution protected them from the ear mites as well.
-yngver

The Polish-Kraut
August 14th 06, 08:45 PM

>> > I got a new kitten today (a friend found this tiny guy out in the
>> > woods), and he has a bad case of ear mites. I have a vet appt. for
>> > Wednesday, but is there something I can use before then to give this
>> > little guy some relief over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to run
>> > to the pet supply stores to see if there are any over the counter ear
>> > mite meds.
>> >

>> One dose of Revolution will take of it!
>
>Our vet said two doses of Revolution, one dose two weeks apart, but it
>sure did get rid of the ear mites for a stray we took in, and she had a
>terrible infestation. The fact that our other cats were already on
>Revolution protected them from the ear mites as well.
>-yngver
Around here you can only get Revolution from a vet so how is that
going to help until hes GOES to the vet HUH ?!?!?

cybercat
August 14th 06, 10:39 PM
"The Polish-Kraut" > wrote in message

> >> One dose of Revolution will take of it!
> >
> >Our vet said two doses of Revolution, one dose two weeks apart, but it
> >sure did get rid of the ear mites for a stray we took in, and she had a
> >terrible infestation. The fact that our other cats were already on
> >Revolution protected them from the ear mites as well.
> >-yngver
> Around here you can only get Revolution from a vet so how is that
> going to help until hes GOES to the vet HUH ?!?!?

You're more than a little bit of an ASSHOLE, aren't you?

MUSWRITR
August 16th 06, 02:48 PM
The Polish-Kraut wrote:

>>>One dose of Revolution will take of it!
>>
>>Our vet said two doses of Revolution, one dose two weeks apart, but it
>>sure did get rid of the ear mites for a stray we took in, and she had a
>>terrible infestation. The fact that our other cats were already on
>>Revolution protected them from the ear mites as well.
>>-yngver
>
> Around here you can only get Revolution from a vet so how is that
> going to help until hes GOES to the vet HUH ?!?!?

Not true. You can order Revolution online.

The Polish-Kraut
August 16th 06, 04:34 PM

>>>Our vet said two doses of Revolution, one dose two weeks apart, but it
>>>sure did get rid of the ear mites for a stray we took in, and she had a
>>>terrible infestation. The fact that our other cats were already on
>>>Revolution protected them from the ear mites as well.
>>>-yngver
>>
>> Around here you can only get Revolution from a vet so how is that
>> going to help until she GOES to the vet ?
>>

>Not true. You can order Revolution online.

Thanks for inf. Will have to check it out. I did find it one place
online but they wanted a prescription which my vet will not give
without an office vist.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

MUSWRITR
August 16th 06, 06:43 PM
The Polish-Kraut wrote:

>>>Around here you can only get Revolution from a vet so how is that
>>>going to help until she GOES to the vet ?
>>>

>>Not true. You can order Revolution online.
>

> Thanks for inf. Will have to check it out. I did find it one place
> online but they wanted a prescription which my vet will not give
> without an office vist.
>

> My furbabies
>
> http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

http://www.1800petmeds.com

The Polish-Kraut
August 16th 06, 08:20 PM
>>>Not true. You can order Revolution online.
>>

>> Thanks for inf. Will have to check it out. I did find it one place
>> online but they wanted a prescription which my vet will not give
>> without an office vist.
>>

>> My furbabies
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/larrystark/
>>

>http://www.1800petmeds.com

I just checked it this AM and you need a prescription to get it. It
asks for the vet's name and the pet that it is for !!

In fact I checked out several to make sure I was not wrong and if you
go through the order process you will see towards the end they ask for
the names as well as on the description page for it they show an RX
symbol. If you ordered it there without a prescription I would like
to know how you did it !!

MUSWRITR
August 16th 06, 10:32 PM
The Polish-Kraut wrote:

>>>Thanks for inf. Will have to check it out. I did find it one place
>>>online but they wanted a prescription which my vet will not give
>>>without an office vist.
>>>

>>> My furbabies
>>>
>>> http://members.aol.com/larrystark/
>>>

>>http://www.1800petmeds.com
>

> I just checked it this AM and you need a prescription to get it. It
> asks for the vet's name and the pet that it is for !!
>
> In fact I checked out several to make sure I was not wrong and if you
> go through the order process you will see towards the end they ask for
> the names as well as on the description page for it they show an RX
> symbol. If you ordered it there without a prescription I would like
> to know how you did it !!

I did it years ago so maybe their policy has changed. Sorry :-(

SD
August 27th 06, 02:54 AM
Is revolution a medication that you put on the back of a cat's neck to treat
for fleas? If so, how does it get rid of the ear mites? I thought they
live only within the ear?

Thanks
Sue

"MUSWRITR" > wrote in message

>>>http://www.1800petmeds.com
>>

>> I just checked it this AM and you need a prescription to get it. It
>> asks for the vet's name and the pet that it is for !!
>>
>> In fact I checked out several to make sure I was not wrong and if you
>> go through the order process you will see towards the end they ask for
>> the names as well as on the description page for it they show an RX
>> symbol. If you ordered it there without a prescription I would like
>> to know how you did it !!
>
> I did it years ago so maybe their policy has changed. Sorry :-(

jmc
August 27th 06, 12:41 PM
Suddenly, without warning, SD exclaimed (27-Aug-06 11:24 AM):
> Is revolution a medication that you put on the back of a cat's neck to treat
> for fleas? If so, how does it get rid of the ear mites? I thought they
> live only within the ear?
>
> Thanks
> Sue

Yes, Revolution is a flea medicine, but it also treats mites (and has
successfully, I think, on Meep), as well as ticks I think and some
internal worms.

I'm not really sure how it works, but I think they spread along the
entire skin surface, and kill fleas, ticks and mites that bite a treated
cat.

It is expensive, but it kills so many things, I think it's worth it.

jmc

Petzl
August 27th 06, 11:28 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message

|| Suddenly, without warning, SD exclaimed (27-Aug-06 11:24 AM):
||| Is revolution a medication that you put on the back of a cat's neck
||| to treat for fleas? If so, how does it get rid of the ear mites?
||| I thought they live only within the ear?
||| Thanks
||| Sue
|| Yes, Revolution is a flea medicine, but it also treats mites (and has
|| successfully, I think, on Meep), as well as ticks I think and some
|| internal worms.
|| I'm not really sure how it works, but I think they spread along the
|| entire skin surface, and kill fleas, ticks and mites that bite a
|| treated cat.
|| It is expensive, but it kills so many things, I think it's worth it.
|| jmc

Just make sure it is put where a cat can't lick (back of a cat's neck) and
you should have no troubles (I only use it once a year "flea season")

--
Petzl