PDA

View Full Version : When did Radiohead turn into a Pink Floyd rip off?

Cus Tyson
August 12th 06, 04:51 AM
I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at the
office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I picked up
some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd. What is the big
deal?

TimK
August 12th 06, 04:56 AM
"Cus Tyson" > wrote in message
>I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at the
> office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I picked up
> some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd. What is the big
> deal?

If you think it sounds "exactly" like PF you should be a critic with your
tin ear.

The Citizen
August 12th 06, 08:47 AM
On 12 Aug 2006 05:51:34 +0200, Cus Tyson > wrote:

>I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at the
>office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I picked up
>some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd. What is the big
>deal?

Even if I did agree with your theory that Radiohead has become Pink
Floyd-esque (which I don't), I have to wonder how "on the ball" you
are considering the fact that the band, as a whole, hasn't released
almost anything new in around three years...

--
The Citizen
"What You Don't Understand, You Can Make Mean Anything."

Eddy
August 12th 06, 11:16 AM
Cus Tyson wrote:
> I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at the
> office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I picked up
> some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd. What is the big
> deal?

I don't think they sound like PF bur I do think they went tits up after
OK computer.

Eddy

Egbert Souse
August 12th 06, 02:47 PM
Which CD?

"Cus Tyson" > wrote in message
>I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at the
> office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I picked up
> some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd. What is the big
> deal?

Milhouse G
August 12th 06, 03:31 PM
Cus Tyson wrote:
> It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd.

I'm really not a fan of Radiohead at all, but this statement is absurdly
and shamefully wrong.

--
Milhouse Guidry of the mWo

"If it takes you more than two, *MAYBE* three posts
to say what you think needs to be said,
you don't know what you're talking about and should shut up."
--The Bede

mWo. It's not just the coolest, it's fa lyfe, so survey says
whether you like it or don't like it, never E-e-e-ver tell
me he did *not* just SMELL what mWo 3:16 reeks of.

Milhouse G
August 12th 06, 03:51 PM
The Citizen wrote:
> On 12 Aug 2006 05:51:34 +0200, Cus Tyson > wrote:
>

>>I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at the
>>office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I picked up
>>some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd. What is the big
>>deal?
>

> Even if I did agree with your theory that Radiohead has become Pink
> Floyd-esque (which I don't), I have to wonder how "on the ball" you
> are considering the fact that the band, as a whole, hasn't released
> almost anything new in around three years...

And considering that "Creep" came out.. what.. 13? 14 years ago?

--
Milhouse Guidry of the mWo

"If it takes you more than two, *MAYBE* three posts
to say what you think needs to be said,
you don't know what you're talking about and should shut up."
--The Bede

mWo. It's not just the coolest, it's fa lyfe, so survey says
whether you like it or don't like it, never E-e-e-ver tell
me he did *not* just SMELL what mWo 3:16 reeks of.

BudGan61
August 12th 06, 04:47 PM
When did this turn into a rock music newsgroup?

Please don't crosspost!

JT
August 12th 06, 06:31 PM
"Mark Outrage" > wrote in message
> in >,
> Milhouse G > said:
>> Cus Tyson wrote:
>> > It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd.
>>
>> I'm really not a fan of Radiohead at all, but this statement is absurdly
>> and shamefully wrong.

I agree. They are not at all as good as Floyd. Although, atmospheric and
plodding, in a Floydian way, they lack the sonic mastery of space and
tension they are trying desperately to emulate. Their attempts at profound
introspection come off as merely whiney, undergraduate philosophy.
Insufferable.

JT

Peck
August 12th 06, 06:36 PM
why did the rec.pets.cats.health+behav newsgroup get dragged into this?

Cus Tyson wrote:
> I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at the
> office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I picked up
> some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd. What is the big
> deal?

TimK
August 12th 06, 06:41 PM
"Peck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> why did the rec.pets.cats.health+behav newsgroup get dragged into this?

no longer empty and frantic like a cat tied to a stick, that's driven into
frozen winter ****

JT
August 12th 06, 06:53 PM
"Peck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> why did the rec.pets.cats.health+behav newsgroup get dragged into this?

Cuz Radiohead are a bunch of pussies.

Rockboy
August 12th 06, 07:29 PM
The only thing they're ripping off is sucking.

--
Rockboy

I don't care what you say
I'm tired of ****ing you anyway

O-Qua Tangin Wann
August 12th 06, 07:30 PM
"JT" > wrote in message

> "Peck" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> why did the rec.pets.cats.health+behav newsgroup get dragged into this?
>>

> Cuz Radiohead are a bunch of pussies.

As soon as the went electronic I was out the door... have bought anything
since Kid A (which sucked)

O-Qua Tangin Wann
August 12th 06, 07:31 PM
"O-Qua Tangin Wann" > wrote in message
. ..

> "JT" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Peck" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> why did the rec.pets.cats.health+behav newsgroup get dragged into this?
>>>

>> Cuz Radiohead are a bunch of pussies.
>>

> As soon as the went electronic I was out the door... haven't bought
> anything since Kid A (which sucked)

Oops

RushMystic
August 14th 06, 06:01 PM
Cus Tyson wrote:
> I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at the
> office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I picked up
> some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd. What is the big
> deal?

Well, I always thought from the start Radiohead sounded like an
alternative rock version of Pink Floyd.

Analogy:

Radiohead is to Pink Floyd
What Primus is to Rush.

Agreed?

RushMystic

BUZZKILL
August 15th 06, 03:43 AM
RushMystic wrote:
> Cus Tyson wrote:
>> I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at
>> the office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I
>> picked up some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd.
>> What is the big deal?
>
> Well, I always thought from the start Radiohead sounded like an
> alternative rock version of Pink Floyd.
>
> Analogy:
>
> Radiohead is to Pink Floyd
> What Primus is to Rush.
>
> Agreed?

No.

Radiohead blows all three bands you mentioned out of the water.

O-Qua Tangin Wann
August 15th 06, 04:12 AM
"BUZZKILL" > wrote in message
et...
> RushMystic wrote:
>> Cus Tyson wrote:
>>> I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at
>>> the office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I
>>> picked up some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd.
>>> What is the big deal?
>>
>> Well, I always thought from the start Radiohead sounded like an
>> alternative rock version of Pink Floyd.
>>
>> Analogy:
>>
>> Radiohead is to Pink Floyd
>> What Primus is to Rush.
>>
>> Agreed?
>
> No.
>
> Radiohead blows all three bands you mentioned out of the water.

and PLONK

Anonymous
August 15th 06, 07:01 AM
"BUZZKILL" <watuziNOSPAM> wrote in message
et...
> RushMystic wrote:
> Cus Tyson wrote:
> I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some
folks at
> the office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I
> picked up some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd.
> What is the big deal?
>
> Well, I always thought from the start Radiohead sounded like an
> alternative rock version of Pink Floyd.
>
> Analogy:
>
> Radiohead is to Pink Floyd
> What Primus is to Rush.
>
> Agreed?
>
> No.
>
> Radiohead blows all three bands you mentioned out of the water.

and PLONK

Doppelbock
August 15th 06, 11:15 AM
"BUZZKILL" > wrote in
et:

> RushMystic wrote:
>> Cus Tyson wrote:
>>> I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at
>>> the office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I
>>> picked up some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd.
>>> What is the big deal?
>>
>> Well, I always thought from the start Radiohead sounded like an
>> alternative rock version of Pink Floyd.
>>
>> Analogy:
>>
>> Radiohead is to Pink Floyd
>> What Primus is to Rush.
>>
>> Agreed?
>
> No.
>
> Radiohead blows.

Fixed your post for you.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is."
-- Yogi Berra

Mike Smith
August 16th 06, 06:44 AM
> RushMystic wrote:
>> Well, I always thought from the start Radiohead sounded like an
>> alternative rock version of Pink Floyd.
>>
>> Analogy:
>>
>> Radiohead is to Pink Floyd
>> What Primus is to Rush.
>>
>> Agreed?

No. Primus is an alt-rock version of King Crimson, not Rush.

--
Mike Smith

August 16th 06, 07:31 PM
Mike Smith wrote:
> > RushMystic wrote:
> >> Well, I always thought from the start Radiohead sounded like an
> >> alternative rock version of Pink Floyd.
> >>
> >> Analogy:
> >>
> >> Radiohead is to Pink Floyd
> >> What Primus is to Rush.
> >>
> >> Agreed?
>
> No. Primus is an alt-rock version of King Crimson, not Rush.

alt rock of King Crimson was King Crimson in the 80s.... which kinda
sucked MAJOR ASS. I cant imagine anything being as bad the 80s and 90s
King Crimson.

> --
> Mike Smith

RushMystic
August 17th 06, 07:37 PM
a▀ wrote:

> >> No. Primus is an alt-rock version of King Crimson, not Rush.
> >
> >alt rock of King Crimson was King Crimson in the 80s.... which kinda
> >sucked MAJOR ASS. I cant imagine anything being as bad the 80s and 90s
> >King Crimson.
> >

> >> --
> >> Mike Smith
>

> I can. Most of all the other music that came out in the 80s & 90s
> Sure luvved all those killer BigHair Bandz

90s?

RushMystic

RushMystic
August 19th 06, 07:11 PM
BUZZKILL ha escrito:

> RushMystic wrote:
> > Well, I always thought from the start Radiohead sounded like an> > alternative rock version of Pink Floyd.
> >
> > Analogy:
> >
> > Radiohead is to Pink Floyd
> > What Primus is to Rush.
> >
> > Agreed?
>
> No.
>
> Radiohead blows all three bands you mentioned out of the water.

Well, even though I wasn't thinking in terms of what bands are better
than what other bands, I'll play anyway.

IMO, NO alternative rock bands are as good as the best classic rock
bands.

;-)

RushMystic

August 19th 06, 09:19 PM
>IMO, NO alternative rock bands are as good as the best classic rock
bands.

Unfortunately, I think this is true, almost by definition.

Je▀us
August 27th 06, 02:11 AM
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 05:51:34 +0200, Cus Tyson proclaimed:

> I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at the
> office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I picked up
> some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd. What is the big
> deal?

There are elements of Floyd in there, that's not a bad thing.

--
/J/
Cut the crap to email me...

Ray
September 4th 06, 11:20 PM
"Eddy" > wrote in message
> Cus Tyson wrote:
>> I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at the
>> office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I picked up
>> some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd. What is the big
>> deal?
>
> I don't think they sound like PF bur I do think they went tits up after OK
> computer.
>
> Eddy
depends on what you classify as tits up, they have kept me engrossed in
their music since ok computer and thats pretty impressive, musical geniuses.

IBen Getiner
September 5th 06, 03:25 AM
Cus Tyson wrote:
> I hadn't paid attention to the band since "Creep" but some folks at the
> office insisted they were some transcendent force in music so I picked up
> some of the later CDs. It sounds exactly like Pink Floyd. What is the big
> deal?

That band is another reason why we should quit buying things from
Britain. Any mother****ers appearing on the cover of a magazine like
MOJO as many times as they have.... That should tell you something.

IBen Getiner

towelie
December 22nd 06, 09:49 AM
Jagshemash, RushMystic?
>> Radiohead blows all three bands you mentioned out of the water.
>
> Well, even though I wasn't thinking in terms of what bands are better
> than what other bands, I'll play anyway.
>
> IMO, NO alternative rock bands are as good as the best classic rock
> bands.

I totally disagree. The period from around 1991 to 1996 was as good as any
period in the history of music. And the best bands that released their
debuts in the early 90s are as good as any bands that have ever existed.