PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly pooping on the carpet?

The Suit
August 12th 06, 03:14 PM
There are four healthy cats in our household. Recently, Ambrose (age 11)had
a bout of obstipation. We were able to get enough lubricating material into
his rectum (poor guy!) to enable him to pass his feces, which he did on the
carpet in our bedroom and in the living room. We didn't care at the time,
since we were just glad that he was able to pass everything. Since then, he
has been pooping in various places in our bedroom. We caught him at again
it this morning, and watched him to make sure everything was okay, and it
was: he had a normal bowel movement, no excessive straining or anything like
that. He's never done anything like this before, and he still pees in the
litterbox.

Is this just an odor issue? We've tried using odor-eliminating products on
the spots where he poops, but it hasn't helped. If the poor cat's having
some sort of post-traumatic stress about pooping (maybe now he's only
feeling safe pooping in our bedroom?), how do we help him past it?

Gail
August 12th 06, 04:45 PM
I would make sure you have enough litter boxes in your house for the 4 cats.
You should have 5. I would place one in the bedroom for him to use. He may
associate the litter box with the pain of constipation. Make sure it is
large, no hood, with unscented scooping litter. If this does not work, have
his see a vet to rule out medical problems.
Gail