PDA

View Full Version : How long for vax to be effective?

mskitty834
August 12th 06, 07:29 PM
I just found out that my brother's cat had kittens (4 months ago) - so
now she needs to be spayed. She's never had any shots, either ... how
long after getting her shots will she actually have enough immunity to
risk going into the semi-pesthole that most vet offices are, to have
surgery with its concomitant depression of immune function? I mean, I
don't want her to get fixed and bring home a raging herpes. But ... she
could be getting pregnant any day - he WON'T keep her in.

Also - this vet won't do shots without a Feleuk test first. How
contagious is Feleuk, if she has it? And what's the false-positive
rate, roughly, on the first-line, quick-and-dirty test?

I appreciate any advice and info. Thanks!

John Ross Mc Master
August 12th 06, 08:05 PM
On 12 Aug 2006 11:29:16 -0700, "mskitty834" >
wrote:

>I just found out that my brother's cat had kittens (4 months ago) - so
>now she needs to be spayed. She's never had any shots, either ... how
>long after getting her shots will she actually have enough immunity to
>risk going into the semi-pesthole that most vet offices are, to have
>surgery with its concomitant depression of immune function? I mean, I
>don't want her to get fixed and bring home a raging herpes. But ... she
>could be getting pregnant any day - he WON'T keep her in.
>
>Also - this vet won't do shots without a Feleuk test first.

This is very, very good! You picked a responsible vet.