PDA

View Full Version : My Kitten's Eyes

Elizabeth
August 13th 06, 04:04 AM
I took my baby to the vet today because her eyes were "weeping", and I was
concerned. They took her temperature, gave her an antibiotic, and treatment
for worms(just a precaution). The vet said that she might be coming down with
a cold, she has an eye infection, and a potential upper respiratory(sp)
infection. So now I have a gel that I place on her eyes twice a day, and an
anitbiotic that I give to her by mouth for the respiratory infection. I have
several questions. After I put the gel on her eyes tonight, I fed her, and
she cleaned her plate (like always :-)), then she went to sleep. She woke up
a few minutes ago and although her eyes aren't weeping as bad, they seem to
be sensitive to light, and they are rather watery. I kind of expected them to
be watery, but I still feel concerned... Should this be expected, as this is
only her first night with the treatment?

And also, the vet told me that when giving her the antibiotic orally, I
should put it in the corner of her mouth so I don't damage her windpipe. I
did not have to do this tonight because they gave her a shot of antibiotic at
the vet. I am very very nervous about doing this though, because I don't want
to hurt her... any tips? Or is there a site that I could visit that could
kind of give me a walk-through in this procedure?

Sorry this is so long! Thanks for reading!!
-E

Elizabeth
August 13th 06, 04:09 AM
BTW she's 14 weeks old, if that helps at all!

Elizabeth
August 13th 06, 04:10 AM
*sigh* I can't remember everything!

The vet also said her stool might be affected. Should I worry about her not
using her box? She's always been so good about that...

Judy
August 13th 06, 05:09 AM
"Elizabeth" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I took my baby to the vet today because her eyes were "weeping", and I was
> concerned. They took her temperature, gave her an antibiotic, and
> treatment
> for worms(just a precaution). The vet said that she might be coming down
> with
> a cold, she has an eye infection, and a potential upper respiratory(sp)
> infection. So now I have a gel that I place on her eyes twice a day, and
> an
> anitbiotic that I give to her by mouth for the respiratory infection. I
> have
> several questions. After I put the gel on her eyes tonight, I fed her, and
> she cleaned her plate (like always :-)), then she went to sleep. She woke
> up
> a few minutes ago and although her eyes aren't weeping as bad, they seem
> be sensitive to light, and they are rather watery. I kind of expected them
> be watery, but I still feel concerned... Should this be expected, as this
> is
> only her first night with the treatment?
>
> And also, the vet told me that when giving her the antibiotic orally, I
> should put it in the corner of her mouth so I don't damage her windpipe. I
> did not have to do this tonight because they gave her a shot of antibiotic
> at
> the vet. I am very very nervous about doing this though, because I don't
> want
> to hurt her... any tips? Or is there a site that I could visit that could
> kind of give me a walk-through in this procedure?
>
> Sorry this is so long! Thanks for reading!!
> -E

Here's a link. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pilling_a_cat.html

Google is your friend! :c)

22brix
August 13th 06, 06:59 AM
Some antibiotics can cause a cat to have diarrhoeae.
Bonnie

"Elizabeth" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> *sigh* I can't remember everything!
>
> The vet also said her stool might be affected. Should I worry about her
> not
> using her box? She's always been so good about that...

Buddy
August 13th 06, 11:03 AM
When you put the gel in her eyes, be careful not to touch the
applicator to her eyeball. You could scratch her cornea and that would
cause her eye to become sensitive to light and weep.

Elizabeth wrote:
> *sigh* I can't remember everything!
>
> The vet also said her stool might be affected. Should I worry about her not
> using her box? She's always been so good about that...

blkcatgal
August 13th 06, 03:35 PM
After you give your kitten the pill, you may want to give her a little water
(with an eye dropper) to help the pill go down. It will keep the pill from
getting caught in her throat.

Sue
"Elizabeth" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I took my baby to the vet today because her eyes were "weeping", and I was
> concerned. They took her temperature, gave her an antibiotic, and
> treatment
> for worms(just a precaution). The vet said that she might be coming down
> with
> a cold, she has an eye infection, and a potential upper respiratory(sp)
> infection. So now I have a gel that I place on her eyes twice a day, and
> an
> anitbiotic that I give to her by mouth for the respiratory infection. I
> have
> several questions. After I put the gel on her eyes tonight, I fed her, and
> she cleaned her plate (like always :-)), then she went to sleep. She woke
> up
> a few minutes ago and although her eyes aren't weeping as bad, they seem
> be sensitive to light, and they are rather watery. I kind of expected them
> be watery, but I still feel concerned... Should this be expected, as this
> is
> only her first night with the treatment?
>
> And also, the vet told me that when giving her the antibiotic orally, I
> should put it in the corner of her mouth so I don't damage her windpipe. I
> did not have to do this tonight because they gave her a shot of antibiotic
> at
> the vet. I am very very nervous about doing this though, because I don't
> want
> to hurt her... any tips? Or is there a site that I could visit that could
> kind of give me a walk-through in this procedure?
>
> Sorry this is so long! Thanks for reading!!
> -E

August 13th 06, 11:32 PM
In article >,
says...
> Some antibiotics can cause a cat to have diarrhoeae.
> Bonnie
>
> "Elizabeth" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > *sigh* I can't remember everything!
> >
> > The vet also said her stool might be affected. Should I worry about her
> > not
> > using her box? She's always been so good about that...

Because antibiotics aren't selective - they kill beneficial flora in the
GI tract.

Elizabeth via CatKB.com
August 14th 06, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone, but unfortunately I failed to mention that
it's a LIQUID anitbiotic, and I give it to her with an eye dropper. I'm
*proud* to say that now, after a few failed attempts, I have become confident
in giving it to her! Oh man, at first it was bad. I would hold her like
reccommended, but her paw would always escape and she would swat it away. I
think she's mad at me. :-( lol. I appreciate the tips though! I'll keep the
forum posted on her progress.

--
http://i7.tinypic.com/24g0snn.jpg

my baby.

Wendy
August 14th 06, 01:37 PM
"Buddy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> When you put the gel in her eyes, be careful not to touch the
> applicator to her eyeball. You could scratch her cornea and that would
> cause her eye to become sensitive to light and weep.
>
> Elizabeth wrote:
>> *sigh* I can't remember everything!
>>
>> The vet also said her stool might be affected. Should I worry about her
>> not
>> using her box? She's always been so good about that...

That's right. When I have to put ointment in I first use a warm wet
washcloth to clean away any 'goop' that might have accumulated around the
eye, wash my hands well, put a small amount of ointment on my pinky and
apply from there not directly from the tube (and wash hands well
afterwards). Not only is there danger of scratching the eye with the tip of
the tube but the ointment could become contaminated by coming in contact
with the infected eye.