PDA

View Full Version : Interesting wildlife in and outside my house

223rem
August 13th 06, 10:28 PM
http://i8.tinypic.com/24l4l61.jpg
http://i8.tinypic.com/24l4t5d.jpg
http://i7.tinypic.com/24l4npl.jpg

Magic Mood JeepŠ
August 13th 06, 11:44 PM
In oups.com,
223rem purred:
> http://i8.tinypic.com/24l4l61.jpg
> http://i8.tinypic.com/24l4t5d.jpg
> http://i7.tinypic.com/24l4npl.jpg

We've seen deer *tracks* in our yard, alas, never any deer. We have
*several* wild buns, one of which seems to have tangled with some predatory
creature, and survived, as she (we know she's a *she* as there was a rather
obvious boy bunny hanging around her for a bit:D) has a broken hind leg (but
gets around fine, even whups up on some of the uppity youngsters when
needed), notches in her ears and what looked like (through binoculars) a
couple of abscesses on her neck. We've not been able to capture her for
treatment, have been leery of doing so lest the shock alone kill her. The
abscesses have now drained on their own, and she's doing a lot better - we
leave rabbit kibble out for her (and the others), and she usually gets the
lion's share of it by chasing them uppity youngsters off! The youngsters
have to share what's left with the squirrels, raccoons, grackles, morning
doves, starlings, blue jays and mocking birds (mocking birds always seem to
be attracted to the yard by the lawn mowers - they have learned that insects
fly up in front of the mower at each pass, only to be gobbled by the mocking
birds, blue jays and robins).

Hope your bun makes it through it's injury OK.

223rem
August 14th 06, 12:09 AM
Magic Mood JeepŠ wrote:

> Hope your bun makes it through it's injury OK.

The orange tabby brought it in. I freed it,
but another of my cats took off after it into the night,
so I'm afraid that its injuries are no longer an issue.

Ted Davis
August 14th 06, 02:42 AM
On 13 Aug 2006 14:28:44 -0700, "223rem" > wrote:

>http://i8.tinypic.com/24l4l61.jpg
>http://i8.tinypic.com/24l4t5d.jpg
>http://i7.tinypic.com/24l4npl.jpg

A tick infested doe about twenty feet from my back door - there are
usually an entire herd of about half a dozen, but this one is the only
one to come in that close:
http://72.173.5.23:9000/tdavis/misc.pictures/wildlife/doe_ticks.jpg

A mother raccoon:
http://72.173.5.23:9000/tdavis/misc.pictures/wildlife/mother_coon.2.jpg

A possum:
http://72.173.5.23:9000/tdavis/misc.pictures/wildlife/possum.melon.1.jpg

The IP addresses in the links are subject to change without notice.

The coon and possum are between ten and twenty feet out.

The deer never came into the house, but the coons and possums did
until I moved the cat flap to a point in the wall that can be reached
(or rather the platform below it can be reached) only by a
thirty-eight inch diagonal leap. I haven't worked up the nerve to use
a flash to photograph the other major nocturnal wild visitors: skunks
- I don't want to disturb them *at all*.

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead

Christine Burel
August 14th 06, 03:19 AM
Wish I'd been able to photograph what I had in my yard last night -- It was
too dark and way across my yard on my back fence but I had 5 (!) youngster
raccoons hanging (literally) around the back fence - I watched them for
awhile with my binoculars -- they were sooo cute. After I walked around the
block today I realized what had attracted them the neighbors behind me have
apple and peach trees with lots of fruit.
Christine
"Ted Davis" > wrote in message
> On 13 Aug 2006 14:28:44 -0700, "223rem" > wrote:
>
> >http://i8.tinypic.com/24l4l61.jpg
> >http://i8.tinypic.com/24l4t5d.jpg
> >http://i7.tinypic.com/24l4npl.jpg
>
> A tick infested doe about twenty feet from my back door - there are
> usually an entire herd of about half a dozen, but this one is the only
> one to come in that close:
> http://72.173.5.23:9000/tdavis/misc.pictures/wildlife/doe_ticks.jpg
>
> A mother raccoon:
> http://72.173.5.23:9000/tdavis/misc.pictures/wildlife/mother_coon.2.jpg
>
> A possum:
> http://72.173.5.23:9000/tdavis/misc.pictures/wildlife/possum.melon.1.jpg
>
> The IP addresses in the links are subject to change without notice.
>
> The coon and possum are between ten and twenty feet out.
>
> The deer never came into the house, but the coons and possums did
> until I moved the cat flap to a point in the wall that can be reached
> (or rather the platform below it can be reached) only by a
> thirty-eight inch diagonal leap. I haven't worked up the nerve to use
> a flash to photograph the other major nocturnal wild visitors: skunks
> - I don't want to disturb them *at all*.
>
> --
> T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real
address - that one is dead

Christine Burel
August 14th 06, 03:20 AM
"223rem" > wrote in message
ups.com...
Magic Mood JeepŠ wrote:

> Hope your bun makes it through it's injury OK.

The orange tabby brought it in. I freed it,
but another of my cats took off after it into the night,
so I'm afraid that its injuries are no longer an issue.

So sorry for the little bunny guy. Amazing you had a deer in your yard,
too!
Christine

223rem
August 14th 06, 03:26 AM
Ted Davis wrote:

> A tick infested doe about twenty feet from my back door -

Arent you worried that your cats could pick up ticks carried
by deer? Is there any way to prevent tick infestation in cats?

Thanks

mlbriggs
August 14th 06, 06:03 AM
On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:42:27 -0500, Ted Davis wrote:

> On 13 Aug 2006 14:28:44 -0700, "223rem" > wrote:
>
>>http://i8.tinypic.com/24l4l61.jpg
>>http://i8.tinypic.com/24l4t5d.jpg
>>http://i7.tinypic.com/24l4npl.jpg
>
> A tick infested doe about twenty feet from my back door - there are
> usually an entire herd of about half a dozen, but this one is the only
> one to come in that close:
> http://72.173.5.23:9000/tdavis/misc.pictures/wildlife/doe_ticks.jpg
>
> A mother raccoon:
> http://72.173.5.23:9000/tdavis/misc.pictures/wildlife/mother_coon.2.jpg
>
> A possum:
> http://72.173.5.23:9000/tdavis/misc.pictures/wildlife/possum.melon.1.jpg
>
> The IP addresses in the links are subject to change without notice.
>
> The coon and possum are between ten and twenty feet out.
>
> The deer never came into the house, but the coons and possums did
> until I moved the cat flap to a point in the wall that can be reached
> (or rather the platform below it can be reached) only by a
> thirty-eight inch diagonal leap. I haven't worked up the nerve to use
> a flash to photograph the other major nocturnal wild visitors: skunks
> - I don't want to disturb them *at all*.

Those are interesting pictures. The deer's ribs are showing but the tummy
looks full. The only outside wildlife here are a few quail and some
snails.
good luck with your flash camera. MLB

Ted Davis
August 14th 06, 01:54 PM
On 13 Aug 2006 19:26:13 -0700, "223rem" > wrote:

>Ted Davis wrote:
>
>> A tick infested doe about twenty feet from my back door -
>
>Arent you worried that your cats could pick up ticks carried
>by deer? Is there any way to prevent tick infestation in cats?

Several of them do get them. Frontline takes care of the problem.

I showed that picture to an expert, and he said they look more like
longhorn ticks than deer ticks - they are, I think, carriers of cattle
diseases only

--
T.E.D. )
Remove "gearbox.maem." from address - that one is dead

Stormin Mormon
August 14th 06, 02:33 PM
Use the 55 grain soft points.

--