PDA

View Full Version : Cat seizure/uncoordination

Ohsojourner
August 16th 06, 04:34 AM
Twice within the past month, my 13-year old neutered female cat acted
like she's had a seizure, except that I'm not sure if it really was a
seizure. During those times I found her scrambling around acting
uncoordinated and frightened, but after some petting and reassurance,
she recovered fairly quickly.

Since then, I've been keeping her constantly fed with premium canned
food, which keeps her in a relaxed state. It seems that as long as
she's well fed, she's OK. One thing in common with these incidences
was that they've occurred around the same time of night that she
usually has that restless energy, where she'll run back and forth
between rooms. She's not doing that any more, I noticed. I wonder if
these "seizures" had something to do with her going into that manic
state, except that her muscles won't coordinate any more. Has anyone
else experienced a problem like this (which might make it easier to
suggest which tests to perform at the veterinarian?)

Matthew
August 16th 06, 04:44 AM
Ok my cat Rumble is epileptic you need to observe the seizure it is a
scary sight to see one happen if you can video tape it even better. When
you go to the vet he needs to do a full blood panel. And you need to
describe in detail the seizure what happens before and after in detail.

When Rumble had a seizure he would shake the body would go rigid and
would look dazed until I touched him and yelled his name than it was like
a light switch he came out of it immediately. But it would knock him
silly for days he would not move unless to go to the bathroom I had to
convince him to eat

He needs to get to the vet as soon as possible . The longer a seizure goes
untreated the worse the conditions can become. If it is epiplsy. He
probably will be put on Phenobarbital which is standard practice Rumble was
allergic to it and had to be put on diazepam which is a serious during in
cats alot of side effects and organ problems. But he is seizure free for 3
years and has been off his medication for 9 days

Read this
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/lowekamp/feline_epilepsy.html
http://www.allergicpet.com/articles/cat_seizures_2.html

Good luck Keep us posted and ask questions at the vets no matter how small
they seems

"Ohsojourner" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Twice within the past month, my 13-year old neutered female cat acted
> like she's had a seizure, except that I'm not sure if it really was a
> seizure. During those times I found her scrambling around acting
> uncoordinated and frightened, but after some petting and reassurance,
> she recovered fairly quickly.
>
> Since then, I've been keeping her constantly fed with premium canned
> food, which keeps her in a relaxed state. It seems that as long as
> she's well fed, she's OK. One thing in common with these incidences
> was that they've occurred around the same time of night that she
> usually has that restless energy, where she'll run back and forth
> between rooms. She's not doing that any more, I noticed. I wonder if
> these "seizures" had something to do with her going into that manic
> state, except that her muscles won't coordinate any more. Has anyone
> else experienced a problem like this (which might make it easier to
> suggest which tests to perform at the veterinarian?)

Matthew
August 16th 06, 04:48 AM
Ok my cat Rumble is epileptic you need to observe the seizure it is a
scary sight to see one happen if you can video tape it even better. When
you go to the vet he needs to do a full blood panel. And you need to
describe in detail the seizure what happens before and after in detail.

When Rumble had a seizure he would shake the body would go rigid and
would look dazed until I touched him and yelled his name than it was like
a light switch he came out of it immediately. But it would knock him
silly for days he would not move unless to go to the bathroom I had to
convince him to eat

He needs to get to the vet as soon as possible . The longer a seizure goes
untreated the worse the conditions can become. If it is epiplsy. He
probably will be put on Phenobarbital which is standard practice Rumble was
allergic to it and had to be put on diazepam which is a serious during in
cats alot of side effects and organ problems. But he is seizure free for 3
years and has been off his medication for 9 days

Read this
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/lowekamp/feline_epilepsy.html
http://www.allergicpet.com/articles/cat_seizures_2.html

Good luck Keep us posted and ask questions at the vets no matter how small
they seems

"Ohsojourner" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Twice within the past month, my 13-year old neutered female cat acted
> like she's had a seizure, except that I'm not sure if it really was a
> seizure. During those times I found her scrambling around acting
> uncoordinated and frightened, but after some petting and reassurance,
> she recovered fairly quickly.
>
> Since then, I've been keeping her constantly fed with premium canned
> food, which keeps her in a relaxed state. It seems that as long as
> she's well fed, she's OK. One thing in common with these incidences
> was that they've occurred around the same time of night that she
> usually has that restless energy, where she'll run back and forth
> between rooms. She's not doing that any more, I noticed. I wonder if
> these "seizures" had something to do with her going into that manic
> state, except that her muscles won't coordinate any more. Has anyone
> else experienced a problem like this (which might make it easier to
> suggest which tests to perform at the veterinarian?)

oldhickory
August 16th 06, 04:59 AM
Just using problem solving skills here but if the cat is fine when it eats
well....blood sugar issues?

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Ok my cat Rumble is epileptic you need to observe the seizure it is a
> scary sight to see one happen if you can video tape it even better. When
> you go to the vet he needs to do a full blood panel. And you need to
> describe in detail the seizure what happens before and after in detail.
>
> When Rumble had a seizure he would shake the body would go rigid and
> would look dazed until I touched him and yelled his name than it was
> like
> a light switch he came out of it immediately. But it would knock him
> silly for days he would not move unless to go to the bathroom I had to
> convince him to eat
>
> He needs to get to the vet as soon as possible . The longer a seizure
> goes
> untreated the worse the conditions can become. If it is epiplsy. He
> probably will be put on Phenobarbital which is standard practice Rumble
> was
> allergic to it and had to be put on diazepam which is a serious during in
> cats alot of side effects and organ problems. But he is seizure free for
> 3
> years and has been off his medication for 9 days
>
> Read this
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/lowekamp/feline_epilepsy.html
> http://www.allergicpet.com/articles/cat_seizures_2.html
>

> Good luck Keep us posted and ask questions at the vets no matter how
> small
> they seems
>
> "Ohsojourner" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Twice within the past month, my 13-year old neutered female cat acted
>> like she's had a seizure, except that I'm not sure if it really was a
>> seizure. During those times I found her scrambling around acting
>> uncoordinated and frightened, but after some petting and reassurance,
>> she recovered fairly quickly.
>>
>> Since then, I've been keeping her constantly fed with premium canned
>> food, which keeps her in a relaxed state. It seems that as long as
>> she's well fed, she's OK. One thing in common with these incidences
>> was that they've occurred around the same time of night that she
>> usually has that restless energy, where she'll run back and forth
>> between rooms. She's not doing that any more, I noticed. I wonder if
>> these "seizures" had something to do with her going into that manic
>> state, except that her muscles won't coordinate any more. Has anyone
>> else experienced a problem like this (which might make it easier to
>> suggest which tests to perform at the veterinarian?)

Barnabas Collins
August 16th 06, 08:54 PM
On 15 Aug 2006 20:34:35 -0700, "Ohsojourner" >
wrote:

>Twice within the past month, my 13-year old neutered female cat acted
>like she's had a seizure, except that I'm not sure if it really was a
>seizure. During those times I found her scrambling around acting
>uncoordinated and frightened, but after some petting and reassurance,
>she recovered fairly quickly.

I'd have a vet look at the cat. They will need to run an MRI scan to
really determine if it was a seizure.

Barnabas Collins
August 16th 06, 08:59 PM
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 03:59:17 GMT, "oldhickory" >
wrote:

>Just using problem solving skills here but if the cat is fine when it eats
>well....blood sugar issues?

Maybe not. I'd assume epileptic seizures or something similar.
The vet needs to run tests including an MRI. (We are in a large
east coast city in the U S of A and they do have MRIs for cats.)