PDA

View Full Version : My Kitty Ate A Little Bit of Styrofoam...What Do I Do?

PinkParisKitty
August 17th 06, 03:58 PM
So I was getting dressed this morning and saw my kitten, Cookie,
gnawing on something. We just had a new bedframe delivered and have yet
to take it out of the box. Well I discovered with horror that she had
consumed a little bit of styrofoam that had broken off the box.

She doesn't appear to be suffering any discomfort, and I am wondering
if this little bit of styrofoam will cause blockage or otherwise harm
her? It was the size of about the tip of a ball-point pen or a small
BB. I am assuming that as long as she hasn't been eating this stuff
(and I have now taken it away to a place she can't get to) in great
amounts that it will just pass when she defecates?

It worries me a little bit, but I was wondering if anyone has any
suggestions?

Sandra Loosemore
August 17th 06, 06:11 PM
"PinkParisKitty" > writes:

> She doesn't appear to be suffering any discomfort, and I am wondering
> if this little bit of styrofoam will cause blockage or otherwise harm
> her? It was the size of about the tip of a ball-point pen or a small
> BB. I am assuming that as long as she hasn't been eating this stuff
> (and I have now taken it away to a place she can't get to) in great
> amounts that it will just pass when she defecates?

I doubt if a piece that small is going to cause any serious problems.
My experience is that when cats eat something indigestible, they
either barf it up immediately, or it eventually passes out the other
end. Things that might cause problems are stuff like string or
Christmas tree tinsel that can get tangled up in the intestines.

BTW, when I was a kid, we had a cat who had a fetish for eating
styrofoam. It started when she first began begging to be fed popcorn
when we were munching on it ourselves -- I think she liked the grease
and salt. But apparently, she couldn't tell the difference between
real popcorn and styrofoam packing "popcorn". :-P Of course we didn't
feed her styrofoam on purpose, but she always wanted to investigate if
we got a package. Anyway, she lived to a ripe old age and never
seemed to suffer from her odd snacking habits.

-Sandra the cynic

Spot
August 17th 06, 06:18 PM
Call your vet and ask them? They can tell you if this will pass or if she
needs to be seen.

Celeste

"PinkParisKitty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> So I was getting dressed this morning and saw my kitten, Cookie,
> gnawing on something. We just had a new bedframe delivered and have yet
> to take it out of the box. Well I discovered with horror that she had
> consumed a little bit of styrofoam that had broken off the box.
>
> She doesn't appear to be suffering any discomfort, and I am wondering
> if this little bit of styrofoam will cause blockage or otherwise harm
> her? It was the size of about the tip of a ball-point pen or a small
> BB. I am assuming that as long as she hasn't been eating this stuff
> (and I have now taken it away to a place she can't get to) in great
> amounts that it will just pass when she defecates?
>
> It worries me a little bit, but I was wondering if anyone has any
> suggestions?

Matthew
August 17th 06, 07:33 PM
You need to call your vet the product can swell up and is not easily
passed.
It can take several days before an real symptoms show up after ingesting
Styrofoam

"PinkParisKitty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> So I was getting dressed this morning and saw my kitten, Cookie,
> gnawing on something. We just had a new bedframe delivered and have yet
> to take it out of the box. Well I discovered with horror that she had
> consumed a little bit of styrofoam that had broken off the box.
>
> She doesn't appear to be suffering any discomfort, and I am wondering
> if this little bit of styrofoam will cause blockage or otherwise harm
> her? It was the size of about the tip of a ball-point pen or a small
> BB. I am assuming that as long as she hasn't been eating this stuff
> (and I have now taken it away to a place she can't get to) in great
> amounts that it will just pass when she defecates?
>
> It worries me a little bit, but I was wondering if anyone has any
> suggestions?

Randy
August 17th 06, 09:16 PM
"Matthew" > wrote:
>You need to call your vet the product can swell up and is not easily
>passed.
>It can take several days before an real symptoms show up after ingesting
>Styrofoam

Styrofoam does not swell up when wet. Think styrofoam coolers, swiming rings,
etc.

Randy
http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

http://kittenwar.com/kittens/74045/

Matthew
August 17th 06, 09:42 PM
"Randy" > wrote in message
> "Matthew" > wrote:
>>You need to call your vet the product can swell up and is not easily
>>passed.
>>It can take several days before an real symptoms show up after ingesting
>>Styrofoam
>>

> Styrofoam does not swell up when wet. Think styrofoam coolers, swiming
> rings,
> etc.

My mistaike in words
No I didn't mean like that I meant when in the stomach it can attach it
self to other stuff. I have seen an autospy done on a cat that ate it
everything atached to it swelling the gastro area up