PDA

View Full Version : necropsy on cat?

Rudy's mom
August 18th 06, 01:10 AM
I just lost my little cat Rudy after a brief illness (2 days).
The vet can't give a definite answer on the cause of the illness.
(maybe heart disease, maybe cancer, maybe a few other things).
The vet also refuses to send the cat to a lab for necropsy. The lab
insists that I have to have a sponsoring vet to get a necropsy done. I
can't find a vet who will sponsor the necropsy.
Does anyone know of a lab that will do this vithout a vet's order?

I live in southern California.
Thanks,
Sherri

Rhonda
August 18th 06, 01:13 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat.

What reason did the vet have for not doing a necropsy? That's very odd.
I don't know anything about not having a sponsoring vet, but I'm
assuming you've called everywhere, even the Humane Society for references?

Rhonda

Rudy's mom wrote:
> I just lost my little cat Rudy after a brief illness (2 days).
> The vet can't give a definite answer on the cause of the illness.
> (maybe heart disease, maybe cancer, maybe a few other things).
> The vet also refuses to send the cat to a lab for necropsy. The lab
> insists that I have to have a sponsoring vet to get a necropsy done. I
> can't find a vet who will sponsor the necropsy.
> Does anyone know of a lab that will do this vithout a vet's order?
>
> I live in southern California.
> Thanks,
> Sherri

Rudy's mom
August 18th 06, 01:53 AM
Hi Rhonda,
Thanks for your concern. Yes I have called everywhere. The vet was a
specialty clinic, and they just keep telling me that they don't do
necropsies and won't "sponsor" an necropsy for my cat. It makes me very
suspicious.

Thanks,
Sherri
Rhonda wrote:
> Sorry to hear about your cat.
>
> What reason did the vet have for not doing a necropsy? That's very odd.
> I don't know anything about not having a sponsoring vet, but I'm
> assuming you've called everywhere, even the Humane Society for references?
>
> Rhonda
>
> Rudy's mom wrote:
> > I just lost my little cat Rudy after a brief illness (2 days).
> > The vet can't give a definite answer on the cause of the illness.
> > (maybe heart disease, maybe cancer, maybe a few other things).
> > The vet also refuses to send the cat to a lab for necropsy. The lab
> > insists that I have to have a sponsoring vet to get a necropsy done. I
> > can't find a vet who will sponsor the necropsy.
> > Does anyone know of a lab that will do this vithout a vet's order?
> >
> > I live in southern California.
> > Thanks,
> > Sherri

Toni
August 18th 06, 02:26 AM
"Rudy's mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Rhonda,
> Thanks for your concern. Yes I have called everywhere. The vet was a
> specialty clinic, and they just keep telling me that they don't do
> necropsies and won't "sponsor" an necropsy for my cat. It makes me very
> suspicious.

Contact the California Veterinary Medical Board and see what they have to
say.
http://www.vmb.ca.gov/

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

Cheryl
August 18th 06, 03:27 AM
On Thu 17 Aug 2006 08:53:09p, Rudy's mom wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com):

> Hi Rhonda,
> Thanks for your concern. Yes I have called everywhere. The vet
> was a specialty clinic, and they just keep telling me that they
> don't do necropsies and won't "sponsor" an necropsy for my cat.
> It makes me very suspicious.
>
> Thanks,
> Sherri

Sherri, I'd be suspicious too. I can't imagine why they wouldn't
do a necropsy. Do you have other cats? If so, just the concern that
it might be something infectious should be enough for them to
either do it themselves, or refer you. Every vet I've ever used
will do a necropsy.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

--
Cheryl

Rhonda
August 18th 06, 03:58 AM
That is so strange. So all of the vets in the area say they don't do
necropsies?

Someone gave you the link to the vet board, I think that'd be a good avenue.

Rhonda

Rudy's mom wrote:
> Hi Rhonda,
> Thanks for your concern. Yes I have called everywhere. The vet was a
> specialty clinic, and they just keep telling me that they don't do
> necropsies and won't "sponsor" an necropsy for my cat. It makes me very
> suspicious.
>
> Thanks,
> Sherri
> Rhonda wrote:
>
>>Sorry to hear about your cat.
>>
>>What reason did the vet have for not doing a necropsy? That's very odd.
>>I don't know anything about not having a sponsoring vet, but I'm
>>assuming you've called everywhere, even the Humane Society for references?
>>
>>Rhonda
>>
>>Rudy's mom wrote:
>>
>>>I just lost my little cat Rudy after a brief illness (2 days).
>>>The vet can't give a definite answer on the cause of the illness.
>>>(maybe heart disease, maybe cancer, maybe a few other things).
>>>The vet also refuses to send the cat to a lab for necropsy. The lab
>>>insists that I have to have a sponsoring vet to get a necropsy done. I
>>>can't find a vet who will sponsor the necropsy.
>>>Does anyone know of a lab that will do this vithout a vet's order?
>>>
>>>I live in southern California.
>>>Thanks,
>>>Sherri

Phil P.
August 18th 06, 08:41 AM
"Rudy's mom" > wrote in message

> Thanks for your concern. Yes I have called everywhere. The vet was a
> specialty clinic, and they just keep telling me that they don't do
> necropsies and won't "sponsor" an necropsy for my cat. It makes me very
> suspicious.

If you live near a vet university- call them. I'm sure they'll do a necropsy
without a "sponsoring vet?".

MaryL
August 18th 06, 09:55 AM
"Rudy's mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Rhonda,
> Thanks for your concern. Yes I have called everywhere. The vet was a
> specialty clinic, and they just keep telling me that they don't do
> necropsies and won't "sponsor" an necropsy for my cat. It makes me very
> suspicious.
>
> Thanks,
> Sherri

I would be suspicious, too. A necropsy should be a routine procedure, and
there is no work for a vet to "sponsor" one. How else are we supposed to
learn?

I definitely would change vets for any other cats in my care.

MaryL