PDA

View Full Version : New kitten vs Newer kitten


Falldownnight
August 18th 06, 08:38 PM
We adopted one cat, Nala, last year thinking that when we got our own place we would get a kitten. Well, shes almost a year old now so we thought it was time. Last week we adopted a 4 or 5 week old male kitten, Auron. He's a biter towards us but we thought that Nala would take to him, wrong. She hates him. We now have to keep one cat in the livingroom, usually auron, and nala in the bathroom untill we put auron in his crate to go to sleep, then we can let her out.

We decided to try and find a better home for nala, because she was getting aggressive towards my husband and I. We thought then that, because there was two more kittens left out of his litter, that we would adopt a playmate for him. The other day he had to go to the vet for an infection and wasnt here when we got the new kitten, from the same litter but she was the runt. Her name is Yuna.

When we brought Auron home today, Yuna started hissing and grumbling at him, even batting at him. My husband, who's at work most of the time, told me just to let them get over it but im starting to think that we might have to get rid of auron too, or even yuna because they cant get along. You would think that being out of the same litter, they wouldnt fight.

Please help.

The Cat Whisperer
August 19th 06, 01:31 AM
Is this for real?
You get rid of the one you've had the longest?!
You need to learn how to have cats meet and greet... there are ways and
products that can help, someone will fill you in.

They will ALL get along, keep them ALL, or is the oldest one already gone
from the bathroom for good?


"Falldownnight" > wrote in message
...
>
> We adopted one cat, Nala, last year thinking that when we got our own
> place we would get a kitten. Well, shes almost a year old now so we
> thought it was time. Last week we adopted a 4 or 5 week old male
> kitten, Auron. He's a biter towards us but we thought that Nala would
> take to him, wrong. She hates him. We now have to keep one cat in the
> livingroom, usually auron, and nala in the bathroom untill we put auron
> in his crate to go to sleep, then we can let her out.
>
> We decided to try and find a better home for nala, because she was
> getting aggressive towards my husband and I. We thought then that,
> because there was two more kittens left out of his litter, that we
> would adopt a playmate for him. The other day he had to go to the vet
> for an infection and wasnt here when we got the new kitten, from the
> same litter but she was the runt. Her name is Yuna.
>
> When we brought Auron home today, Yuna started hissing and grumbling at
> him, even batting at him. My husband, who's at work most of the time,
> told me just to let them get over it but im starting to think that we
> might have to get rid of auron too, or even yuna because they cant get
> along. You would think that being out of the same litter, they wouldnt
> fight.
>
> Please help.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Falldownnight



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

MaryL
August 19th 06, 02:01 AM
"Falldownnight" > wrote in message
...
>
> We adopted one cat, Nala, last year thinking that when we got our own
> place we would get a kitten. Well, shes almost a year old now so we
> thought it was time. Last week we adopted a 4 or 5 week old male
> kitten, Auron. He's a biter towards us but we thought that Nala would
> take to him, wrong. She hates him. We now have to keep one cat in the
> livingroom, usually auron, and nala in the bathroom untill we put auron
> in his crate to go to sleep, then we can let her out.
>
> We decided to try and find a better home for nala, because she was
> getting aggressive towards my husband and I. We thought then that,
> because there was two more kittens left out of his litter, that we
> would adopt a playmate for him. The other day he had to go to the vet
> for an infection and wasnt here when we got the new kitten, from the
> same litter but she was the runt. Her name is Yuna.
>
> When we brought Auron home today, Yuna started hissing and grumbling at
> him, even batting at him. My husband, who's at work most of the time,
> told me just to let them get over it but im starting to think that we
> might have to get rid of auron too, or even yuna because they cant get
> along. You would think that being out of the same litter, they wouldnt
> fight.
>
> Please help.
>


You are approaching this in entirely the wrong way. In the first place,
these are *babies.* Are you really serious when you say they are 4 or 5
weeks old? If so, these kittens are far too young to be separated from
their mother. Kittens should remain with the mother until *at least* 8
weeks, and 10 or 12 weeks is preferable.

Next, you need to give *all* of your cats time to adjust before expecting
them to get along with each other. You should proceed very slowly and
carefully before placing cats together, and this is especially true when you
have already been given warning (via "hissing and grumbling") that there may
be problems. The new kitten should be in a separate room for some time
before you try to introduce him or her to your resident cat, and you should
lavish attention on your resident cat during the process so he will not feel
displaced. I am going to attach links under my signature to a "pictorial
history" of how I went through the process when I adopted Duffy and brought
him into my home. Holly had a history of violently attacking any other cat,
so I knew that I would need to take extra care and time, but it was well
worth the effort. They are very well adjusted now, but that would not have
been true if I had just "let them get over it," as you described. Please
*slow down* and take some time with this. There are numerous sites on the
Internet that describe the steps you should take when introducing cats and
kittens. And let me reiterate what I said earlier -- if they are really 4
or 5 weeks old, then you are expecting *far* too much of them. They are
helpless babies, and it is up to you to provide a safe and happy environment
for them.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")