PDA

View Full Version : Vet's Can't Tell When A Cat Is Backed Up With BM?

Paige
August 19th 06, 04:36 AM
Hello fellow cat lovers!

I'll condense my very long story ~ About two months ago my cat started
defecating outside of the box. Initially I thought it was from stress
caused from one of my other cat's. But then I could see he was forcing
and trying desperately to relieve himself of his waste, but only very
small hard pieces would come out. I brought him to the vet and
explained the behavior they gave him a thorough exam (according to
them) and found nothing physically wrong with him. Since then he's been
to the vet 3 more times and each time, I would ask "are you sure he
isn't constipated?" Over and over again the vet would tell me she
couldn't feel anything in his stomach, so it couldn't be that. Two
nights ago I took Q Tips and Aquaphor (it's like vaseline) and I
inserted it in his rectum, and I could see there was a huge piece of bm
he couldn't get out. And, oh my poor cat's rectum was so sore I wanted
to cry for him. I called them immediately they took him right in he
stayed over night, they gave him 3 enemas and she said a lot of bm came
out, I asked her to take an x-ray and it showed he still had a lot of
poop in him. He's home now and he's still pooping, it's very soft and
he has very little control over it. The poor thing attempts to go in
the litter box too.

The doctor told me she just couldn't feel any waste in him when she
examined his stomach. Two different doctors examined him at this vet
office. How is it possible they couldn't find out if he was
constipated? I figured it out immediately.

The total bill for all this came to $977.00! And my poor fur baby
suffered needlessly.

Rhonda
August 19th 06, 04:44 AM
I think you need to find another vet. They should have taken x-rays to
begin with! $977, for enemas? That is terrible! Please find another vet.

Our cat just went through something similar, she had megacolon.
Sometimes their colon gets so full of stuff that it stretches out and
loses it's elasticity. Once that happens, the cat can continually get
constipated because the colon is not able to push the stuff through, and
the colon gets bigger than the rectum and the stuff cannot fit through
to come out.

Do some google searches on cat and megacolon -- you might want to read
up on that. We ended up with a surgery to remove her colon and are still
working with her recuperation.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Paige wrote:
> Hello fellow cat lovers!
>
> I'll condense my very long story ~ About two months ago my cat started
> defecating outside of the box. Initially I thought it was from stress
> caused from one of my other cat's. But then I could see he was forcing
> and trying desperately to relieve himself of his waste, but only very
> small hard pieces would come out. I brought him to the vet and
> explained the behavior they gave him a thorough exam (according to
> them) and found nothing physically wrong with him. Since then he's been
> to the vet 3 more times and each time, I would ask "are you sure he
> isn't constipated?" Over and over again the vet would tell me she
> couldn't feel anything in his stomach, so it couldn't be that. Two
> nights ago I took Q Tips and Aquaphor (it's like vaseline) and I
> inserted it in his rectum, and I could see there was a huge piece of bm
> he couldn't get out. And, oh my poor cat's rectum was so sore I wanted
> to cry for him. I called them immediately they took him right in he
> stayed over night, they gave him 3 enemas and she said a lot of bm came
> out, I asked her to take an x-ray and it showed he still had a lot of
> poop in him. He's home now and he's still pooping, it's very soft and
> he has very little control over it. The poor thing attempts to go in
> the litter box too.
>
> The doctor told me she just couldn't feel any waste in him when she
> examined his stomach. Two different doctors examined him at this vet
> office. How is it possible they couldn't find out if he was
> constipated? I figured it out immediately.
>
> The total bill for all this came to $977.00! And my poor fur baby
> suffered needlessly.

Paige
August 19th 06, 04:59 AM
That is exactly what the vet told me he had today when I picked him up
"megacolon." I will read up on it.

The $977.00 included blood work, a urine specimen, a bath, an over
night's stay, being examined by a vet who wrote for a national woman's
magazine and a few different prescriptions. And, this vets office was
just voted one of the "best" vets in the Washingtonian Magazine.

How is your cat doing now?

Paige

Rhonda wrote:
> I think you need to find another vet. They should have taken x-rays to
> begin with! $977, for enemas? That is terrible! Please find another vet.
>
> Our cat just went through something similar, she had megacolon.
> Sometimes their colon gets so full of stuff that it stretches out and
> loses it's elasticity. Once that happens, the cat can continually get
> constipated because the colon is not able to push the stuff through, and
> the colon gets bigger than the rectum and the stuff cannot fit through
> to come out.
>
> Do some google searches on cat and megacolon -- you might want to read
> up on that. We ended up with a surgery to remove her colon and are still
> working with her recuperation.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Rhonda
>
> Paige wrote:
> > Hello fellow cat lovers!
> >
> > I'll condense my very long story ~ About two months ago my cat started
> > defecating outside of the box. Initially I thought it was from stress
> > caused from one of my other cat's. But then I could see he was forcing
> > and trying desperately to relieve himself of his waste, but only very
> > small hard pieces would come out. I brought him to the vet and
> > explained the behavior they gave him a thorough exam (according to
> > them) and found nothing physically wrong with him. Since then he's been
> > to the vet 3 more times and each time, I would ask "are you sure he
> > isn't constipated?" Over and over again the vet would tell me she
> > couldn't feel anything in his stomach, so it couldn't be that. Two
> > nights ago I took Q Tips and Aquaphor (it's like vaseline) and I
> > inserted it in his rectum, and I could see there was a huge piece of bm
> > he couldn't get out. And, oh my poor cat's rectum was so sore I wanted
> > to cry for him. I called them immediately they took him right in he
> > stayed over night, they gave him 3 enemas and she said a lot of bm came
> > out, I asked her to take an x-ray and it showed he still had a lot of
> > poop in him. He's home now and he's still pooping, it's very soft and
> > he has very little control over it. The poor thing attempts to go in
> > the litter box too.
> >
> > The doctor told me she just couldn't feel any waste in him when she
> > examined his stomach. Two different doctors examined him at this vet
> > office. How is it possible they couldn't find out if he was
> > constipated? I figured it out immediately.
> >
> > The total bill for all this came to $977.00! And my poor fur baby
> > suffered needlessly.

Rhonda
August 19th 06, 05:25 AM
Hi Paige,

Sweeter is still recovering. She had a second surgery because of a leak
in the stitched area of the colon. She came down with a nasty abdominal
infection. That was scary -- it was the first time it had happened for
this surgeon and he's done a lot of these surgeries.

She now has some swollen glands around her face and we're trying to
track down the cause. We had more tests done today. It is probably
something completely different, but may be occurring because her system
was compromised with 2 surgeries. It is never boring...

Your bill still sounds like a lot for what was done. You're in the best
position though to judge whether you trust their treatment.

My fingers are crossed for your cat, and for Sweeter.

Rhonda

Paige wrote:
> [...]
>>>inserted it in his rectum, and I could see there was a huge piece of bm
>>>he couldn't get out. And, oh my poor cat's rectum was so sore I wanted
>>>to cry for him. I called them immediately they took him right in he
>>>stayed over night, they gave him 3 enemas and she said a lot of bm came
>>>out, I asked her to take an x-ray and it showed he still had a lot of
>>>poop in him. He's home now and he's still pooping, it's very soft and
>>>he has very little control over it. The poor thing attempts to go in
>>>the litter box too.
>>>
>>>The doctor told me she just couldn't feel any waste in him when she
>>>examined his stomach. Two different doctors examined him at this vet
>>>office. How is it possible they couldn't find out if he was
>>>constipated? I figured it out immediately.
>>>
>>>The total bill for all this came to $977.00! And my poor fur baby

Cheryl
August 19th 06, 05:28 AM
On Fri 18 Aug 2006 11:44:17p, Rhonda wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

> Our cat just went through something similar, she had megacolon.
> Sometimes their colon gets so full of stuff that it stretches
> out and loses it's elasticity. Once that happens, the cat can
> continually get constipated because the colon is not able to
> push the stuff through, and the colon gets bigger than the
> rectum and the stuff cannot fit through to come out.

And google "stricture" because this can cause scar tissue.

--
Cheryl

Elizabeth Blake
August 19th 06, 05:23 PM
"Paige" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello fellow cat lovers!
>
> I'll condense my very long story ~ About two months ago my cat started
> defecating outside of the box. Initially I thought it was from stress
> caused from one of my other cat's. But then I could see he was forcing
> and trying desperately to relieve himself of his waste, but only very
> small hard pieces would come out. I brought him to the vet and
> explained the behavior they gave him a thorough exam (according to
> them) and found nothing physically wrong with him. Since then he's been
> to the vet 3 more times and each time, I would ask "are you sure he
> isn't constipated?" Over and over again the vet would tell me she
> couldn't feel anything in his stomach, so it couldn't be that. Two
> nights ago I took Q Tips and Aquaphor (it's like vaseline) and I
> inserted it in his rectum, and I could see there was a huge piece of bm
> he couldn't get out. And, oh my poor cat's rectum was so sore I wanted
> to cry for him. I called them immediately they took him right in he
> stayed over night, they gave him 3 enemas and she said a lot of bm came
> out, I asked her to take an x-ray and it showed he still had a lot of
> poop in him. He's home now and he's still pooping, it's very soft and
> he has very little control over it. The poor thing attempts to go in
> the litter box too.
>
> The doctor told me she just couldn't feel any waste in him when she
> examined his stomach. Two different doctors examined him at this vet
> office. How is it possible they couldn't find out if he was
> constipated? I figured it out immediately.
>
> The total bill for all this came to $977.00! And my poor fur baby
> suffered needlessly.

Last summer our cat at work, Harriet, got very blocked up. Every vet she
saw (3 vets at two different groups) had no problems feeling the blockage.
The first practice just gave her enemas, not sure what kind, and she would
get blocked again immediately. They reluctantly prescribed medication and I
finally took her to another practice who gave her a better enema and upped
her medication. She has been good since then, almost a year now. She still
goes outside the box often and her poop is sometimes a little large/hard but
she is going. If I notice she's having trouble I just up her Lactulose
dose a bit for one or two doses and it loosens everything up.

We spent a lot more than $977 between the two vets on her, especially with
the first useless practice.

--
Liz

Paige
August 19th 06, 06:43 PM
Hi Rhonda,

I agree with you, "they should have taken x-rays to begin with. Why did
I have to tell her to take an x-ray before I brought him home
yesterday?

This paragraph from my former post is said with utter sarcasm........:)

>The $977.00 included blood work, a urine specimen, a bath, an over
> night's stay, being examined by a vet who wrote for a national woman's
> magazine and a few different prescriptions. And, this vets office was
> just voted one of the "best" vets in the Washingtonian Magazine.

I can hear the love you have for Sweeter. Please keep us posted on her
test results.
I'm saying a prayer for her and you.

Paige

Rhonda wrote:
> Hi Paige,
>
> Sweeter is still recovering. She had a second surgery because of a leak
> in the stitched area of the colon. She came down with a nasty abdominal
> infection. That was scary -- it was the first time it had happened for
> this surgeon and he's done a lot of these surgeries.
>
> She now has some swollen glands around her face and we're trying to
> track down the cause. We had more tests done today. It is probably
> something completely different, but may be occurring because her system
> was compromised with 2 surgeries. It is never boring...
>
> Your bill still sounds like a lot for what was done. You're in the best
> position though to judge whether you trust their treatment.
>
> My fingers are crossed for your cat, and for Sweeter.
>
> Rhonda
>
> Paige wrote:
> > That is exactly what the vet told me he had today when I picked him up
> > "megacolon." I will read up on it.
> >
> > The $977.00 included blood work, a urine specimen, a bath, an over
> > night's stay, being examined by a vet who wrote for a national woman's
> > magazine and a few different prescriptions. And, this vets office was
> > just voted one of the "best" vets in the Washingtonian Magazine.
> >
> > How is your cat doing now?
> >
> > Paige
> >

> > Rhonda wrote:
> >
> >>I think you need to find another vet. They should have taken x-rays to
> >>begin with! $977, for enemas? That is terrible! Please find another vet.
> >>
> >>Our cat just went through something similar, she had megacolon.
> >>Sometimes their colon gets so full of stuff that it stretches out and
> >>loses it's elasticity. Once that happens, the cat can continually get
> >>constipated because the colon is not able to push the stuff through, and
> >>the colon gets bigger than the rectum and the stuff cannot fit through
> >>to come out.
> >>
> >>Do some google searches on cat and megacolon -- you might want to read
> >>up on that. We ended up with a surgery to remove her colon and are still
> >>working with her recuperation.
> >>
> >>Good luck,
> >>
> >>Rhonda

Paige
August 19th 06, 06:46 PM
Original message <snipped>

Hi Liz,

The vet claims my cat was so large she couldn't feel the blockage. He
is long, but he only weighs 12lbs. If she couldn't feel anything, she
should have taken an x-ray to rule out a blockage. She prescribed
Lactulose too. My mother had a cat with the same problem, and her vet
told her to put a 1/2 tsp. of Metamucil on his wet food. It worked for
him, but how many cats will eat wet food with Metamucil on it?

Glad to hear Harriet is doing good.

Paige

> Last summer our cat at work, Harriet, got very blocked up. Every vet she
> saw (3 vets at two different groups) had no problems feeling the blockage.
> The first practice just gave her enemas, not sure what kind, and she would
> get blocked again immediately. They reluctantly prescribed medication and I
> finally took her to another practice who gave her a better enema and upped
> her medication. She has been good since then, almost a year now. She still
> goes outside the box often and her poop is sometimes a little large/hard but
> she is going. If I notice she's having trouble I just up her Lactulose
> dose a bit for one or two doses and it loosens everything up.
>
> We spent a lot more than $977 between the two vets on her, especially with
> the first useless practice.
>
> --
> Liz

August 19th 06, 09:37 PM
Paige wrote:

> The vet claims my cat was so large she couldn't feel the blockage. He
> is long, but he only weighs 12lbs. If she couldn't feel anything, she
> should have taken an x-ray to rule out a blockage. She prescribed
> Lactulose too. My mother had a cat with the same problem, and her vet
> told her to put a 1/2 tsp. of Metamucil on his wet food. It worked for
> him, but how many cats will eat wet food with Metamucil on it?

Sorry to hear the problems you have had with your vet. Perhaps if you
give your location, somebody here can recommend a better vet for you.

Several years ago, Kira had a problem, probably constipation. I had to
take her to an emergency vet since it was Sunday, and my vet is closed.
She was sitting there growling, so I knew she was in pain.

The vet couldn't find anything, but he did a thorough "massage" during
his exam, and that seemed to do the trick. He figured there was
probably a minor blockage in her system somewhere. She was also
dehydrated, so he gave her a shot for that and some meds. Within an
hour of being home, she did go to the bathroom, so whatever it was
worked its way through.

So, last year, when she was acting in a similar way late at night. I
took her to me bed and gently massaged her tummy. Half an hour later,
she had a good BM and went back to eating.

A couple weeks later, it happened again, and this time I felt
something. I thought she might have some cancerous mass, but it was
gone by the next morning. I took Kira to the vet anyway since it was
now a recurring event. He gave me a tube of laxative to do a couple
times a week. And he told me what I felt was probably just a larger BM.

So, even I could feel a BM waiting to happen.

Also, years ago, when my dog had an x-ray for other reasons, it was
quite clear that she needed to go to the bathroom. I know it is harder
to do an x-ray with a cat, but if there is a recurring problem, and
this is questionable, an x-ray would seem like an obvious choice to see
what is going on, or at least rule it out.

Elizabeth Blake
August 21st 06, 06:16 AM
"Paige" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Original message <snipped>
>
> Hi Liz,
>
> The vet claims my cat was so large she couldn't feel the blockage. He
> is long, but he only weighs 12lbs. If she couldn't feel anything, she
> should have taken an x-ray to rule out a blockage. She prescribed
> Lactulose too. My mother had a cat with the same problem, and her vet
> told her to put a 1/2 tsp. of Metamucil on his wet food. It worked for
> him, but how many cats will eat wet food with Metamucil on it?
>
> Glad to hear Harriet is doing good.
>
> Paige

Paige,

Both verts did not recommend giving Harriet any type of fiber supplement
because they said it would just make her stools larger. Since she has
trouble passing them and they're large enough as it is, she gets a low
residue prescription dry food (supposed to produce less stool) and high
quality canned food like Wellness, made without grains. The vets said that
regular food has too much filler, which then produces more waste. The
combination of the food, the Lactulose stool softener and Propulsid to help
move everything along has been working. Her stools are still bigger than
normal but she's able to pass them, even if she does pass a lot of them onto
the floor!

I can't believe that your vet couldn't feel a blockage in a 12 pound cat.
Harriet isn't large and she had lost weight before her problem got so bad,
and has lost more since. That's not all due to her health - someone at work
who used to feed her junk food non-stop left last September, right after
this all started up again. But, both vets that she went to took x-rays just
to rule out other causes of her constipation.

--
Liz

Paige
August 22nd 06, 06:17 PM
"Paige" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>
> Paige,
>
> Both verts did not recommend giving Harriet any type of fiber supplement
> because they said it would just make her stools larger. Since she has
> trouble passing them and they're large enough as it is, she gets a low
> residue prescription dry food (supposed to produce less stool) and high
> quality canned food like Wellness, made without grains. The vets said that
> regular food has too much filler, which then produces more waste. The
> combination of the food, the Lactulose stool softener and Propulsid to help
> move everything along has been working. Her stools are still bigger than
> normal but she's able to pass them, even if she does pass a lot of them onto
> the floor!
>
> I can't believe that your vet couldn't feel a blockage in a 12 pound cat.
> Harriet isn't large and she had lost weight before her problem got so bad,
> and has lost more since. That's not all due to her health - someone at work
> who used to feed her junk food non-stop left last September, right after
> this all started up again. But, both vets that she went to took x-rays just
> to rule out other causes of her constipation.
>
> --
> Liz

Liz,

The Vet recommended Hill's Prescription w/d, dry and wet food, and 3
cc's of Lactulose twice a day. He was eating Eukanuba Weight Control
dry, and Nutro wet. He had a bowel movement on Sunday, August 20, it
was soft. He hasn't had once since. I'm trying to keep track to avoid
another blockage. What's your opinion about the food the vet
recommended?

I appreciate your input.

Page