PDA

View Full Version : Swollen glands -- neck area

Rhonda
August 19th 06, 05:46 AM
Just wondered if anyone else has had a cat with swollen glands (or lymph
nodes) in the neck area. Sweeter's glands on either side, right under
the end of the jaw bone, are huge. We've had her on antibiotics but
they've gotten bigger. We're waiting for test results to see if this is
an infection or something worse.

Has anyone else had a cat with that problem?

Vet said her teeth don't look bad enough to cause it, and it's rare for
glands to swell underneath the jaw because of teeth.

She also had one moderately swollen node in her upper back leg, but that
got smaller in the last week.

If this is cancer, after all she's been through, my scream will probably
bust windows.

Rhonda

22brix
August 19th 06, 06:13 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Just wondered if anyone else has had a cat with swollen glands (or lymph
> nodes) in the neck area. Sweeter's glands on either side, right under the
> end of the jaw bone, are huge. We've had her on antibiotics but they've
> gotten bigger. We're waiting for test results to see if this is an
> infection or something worse.
>
> Has anyone else had a cat with that problem?
>
> Vet said her teeth don't look bad enough to cause it, and it's rare for
> glands to swell underneath the jaw because of teeth.
>
> She also had one moderately swollen node in her upper back leg, but that
> got smaller in the last week.
>
> If this is cancer, after all she's been through, my scream will probably
> bust windows.
>
> Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

I had this happen to one of my cats. It turned out to be an infection but
we were never able to pinpoint the source. Has the vet tried another
antibiotic? With Gollum the vet did a needle biopsy to tell what sort of
cells there were.

Poor Sweeter--she (and you) have been through so much. I hope she does
better soon.

Bonnie

Rhonda
August 19th 06, 06:45 AM
22brix wrote:

> Hi Rhonda,
>
> I had this happen to one of my cats. It turned out to be an infection but
> we were never able to pinpoint the source. Has the vet tried another
> antibiotic? With Gollum the vet did a needle biopsy to tell what sort of
> cells there were.
>
> Poor Sweeter--she (and you) have been through so much. I hope she does
> better soon.

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for the response. That's good to know it was something your cat
survived, I have visions of FelV and everything else going through my head.

We just did the needle aspiration and blood tests today, so we have to
wait until Monday for the results. The vet said too maybe we aren't
using the right (or strong enough) antibiotic, but we will find out more
on Monday.

I noticed her tonight now scratching at her face. I'm wondering if she's
having an allergic reaction to something. She threw up several times
this morning and that's why we didn't finish the 10 days of antibiotics
(we were on day 7) and I took her back to the vet early.

I'll let you know what happens.

Rhonda

Anonymous
August 19th 06, 07:06 AM

22brix wrote:

> Hi Rhonda,
>
> I had this happen to one of my cats. It turned out to be an
infection but
> we were never able to pinpoint the source. Has the vet tried
another
> antibiotic? With Gollum the vet did a needle biopsy to tell what
sort of
> cells there were.
>
> Poor Sweeter--she (and you) have been through so much. I hope she
does
> better soon.

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for the response. That's good to know it was something your cat

survived, I have visions of FelV and everything else going through my
head.

We just did the needle aspiration and blood tests today, so we have to

wait until Monday for the results. The vet said too maybe we aren't
using the right (or strong enough) antibiotic, but we will find out
more
on Monday.

I noticed her tonight now scratching at her face. I'm wondering if
she's
having an allergic reaction to something. She threw up several times
this morning and that's why we didn't finish the 10 days of
antibiotics
(we were on day 7) and I took her back to the vet early.

I'll let you know what happens.

Rhonda

Elizabeth Blake
August 19th 06, 05:19 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Just wondered if anyone else has had a cat with swollen glands (or lymph
> nodes) in the neck area. Sweeter's glands on either side, right under
> the end of the jaw bone, are huge. We've had her on antibiotics but
> they've gotten bigger. We're waiting for test results to see if this is
> an infection or something worse.
>
> Has anyone else had a cat with that problem?
>
> Vet said her teeth don't look bad enough to cause it, and it's rare for
> glands to swell underneath the jaw because of teeth.

A couple of months ago Otto's lymph nodes were swollen. His teeth were in
very bad shape and the vet said that was the most likely cause. He was put
on an antibiotic for a few days, then had his teeth done and continued the
antibiotic for another week. He went back maybe 10 days after his teeth
procedure (had 3 pulled) and everything was back to normal (lymph
nodes/blood tests).

--
Liz

Rhonda
August 19th 06, 09:44 PM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:

> A couple of months ago Otto's lymph nodes were swollen. His teeth
> were in very bad shape and the vet said that was the most likely
> cause. He was put on an antibiotic for a few days, then had his
> teeth done and continued the antibiotic for another week. He went
> back maybe 10 days after his teeth procedure (had 3 pulled) and
> everything was back to normal (lymph nodes/blood tests).

That's interesting. I wonder still if it's her teeth -- but the vet
things the gingivitus she has is not enough to cause such huge glands.

I hate waiting for test results over a weekend...

How did you find out it was his teeth? Could she just tell that
visually, or did the test results show something that pointed in that
direction?

Thanks for your response,

Rhonda

Lulu
August 20th 06, 03:48 PM
Rhonda,

My heart goes out to you. Best thing to do is just get the X-rays
done now. That way you can you will know for sure if it is cancer or
not right off the bat. It will eliminate the wondering and
unnecessary testing for all the other things it could be.
I know it is hard to take. Beleive me! I went throught this with my
12 year old Pumpkin in March. All the testing, medication, and
discomfort to her could have been forgone had I just bit the bullet and
ordered the X-rays first. If I had thought about how much pain she
was enduring instead of how much I wanted her to get better and not
leave me, I would have done the X-rays sooner. Now I know better and
will do the same for my other pets if they get sick. I sincerely
hope that your sweet one will recover.

Lulu

Elizabeth Blake
August 21st 06, 06:08 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> >
> > A couple of months ago Otto's lymph nodes were swollen. His teeth
> > were in very bad shape and the vet said that was the most likely
> > cause. He was put on an antibiotic for a few days, then had his
> > teeth done and continued the antibiotic for another week. He went
> > back maybe 10 days after his teeth procedure (had 3 pulled) and
> > everything was back to normal (lymph nodes/blood tests).
>

> That's interesting. I wonder still if it's her teeth -- but the vet
> things the gingivitus she has is not enough to cause such huge glands.
>
> I hate waiting for test results over a weekend...
>
> How did you find out it was his teeth? Could she just tell that visually,
> or did the test results show something that pointed in that direction?
>
> Thanks for your response,
>
> Rhonda

I had first brought him in to the vet a couple of months ago because he
wasn't eaten and had diarrhea with mucusy stool. The vet said that he had
colitis and prescribed some medication and said he would be fine in a few
days, which he was. But he also said that Otto's teeth were in really bad
condition and once he got over his colitis I should bring him back in. So a
couple of weeks later I brought him in to have blood drawn in preparation
for his dental work. The other vet examined him that time and she's the one
who said his nodes were swollen and that it was most likely due to his
teeth. They drew blood and now I can't even remember what they checked for,
but it showed he had an infection. He was started on an antibiotic several
days before his dental work and continued it for the rest of the week after.
I brought him back in a week later to have follow-up bloodwork done and
everything was perfect, so the assumption was that it was his bad teeth
causing an infection and swollen lymph nodes.

Otto never liked me to look in his mouth and when I had to medicate him it
was like I needed the jaws of life to get his mouth open. I knew he had bad
breath but never knew how bad his teeth were until the vet pried his mouth
open and showed me.

--
Liz

Rhonda
August 22nd 06, 03:43 AM
Well, good news -- no signs of cancer cells in Sweeter's lymph node
samples!!! They are "reactionary," which most likely means an infection
or some sort of swelling somewhere in her body.

The vet suspects it's still the megacolon surgery.

Her lymph nodes are better now though. We're waiting a day or so and if
they don't continue to get better on their own, we'll have a blood
culture and sensitivity test.

My sensitive little cat.

Thanks for the info and the good wishes,

Rhonda

22brix
August 22nd 06, 05:19 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Well, good news -- no signs of cancer cells in Sweeter's lymph node
> samples!!! They are "reactionary," which most likely means an infection or
> some sort of swelling somewhere in her body.
>
> The vet suspects it's still the megacolon surgery.
>
> Her lymph nodes are better now though. We're waiting a day or so and if
> they don't continue to get better on their own, we'll have a blood culture
> and sensitivity test.
>
> My sensitive little cat.
>
> Thanks for the info and the good wishes,
>
> Rhonda

Fabulous! That's what the vet said regarding my kitty. Did the vet change
her antibiotics? She's been through so much it has to have affected her
immune system some.

Here's hoping the rest of her recovery goes a little smoother!

Bonnie

cybercat
August 22nd 06, 07:12 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Well, good news -- no signs of cancer cells in Sweeter's lymph node
> samples!!! They are "reactionary," which most likely means an infection
> or some sort of swelling somewhere in her body.

Yippee for Sweeter!

> The vet suspects it's still the megacolon surgery.
>
> Her lymph nodes are better now though. We're waiting a day or so and if
> they don't continue to get better on their own, we'll have a blood
> culture and sensitivity test.
>
> My sensitive little cat.

Poor little baby. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Rhonda
August 23rd 06, 01:28 AM
22brix wrote:

> Fabulous! That's what the vet said regarding my kitty. Did the vet change
> her antibiotics? She's been through so much it has to have affected her
> immune system some.
>
> Here's hoping the rest of her recovery goes a little smoother!

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for the note!

We took Sweeter off of antibiotics because she's been vomiting, with
plans to put her on something else if needed. We were going to do a
culture and sensitivity and pinpoint the antibiotic needed, but her
lymph nodes are down even more today!

I'm giving her Pepcid AC and watching how often she vomits. She is
keeping her food down but something is irritating her system.

Hopefully, we'll get through all of these after-issues and she'll be a
happy kitty!

Rhonda

Rhonda
August 23rd 06, 01:30 AM
cybercat wrote:

> Poor little baby. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Thanks! She is a sweet thing.

We're starting her on potassium supplements since that was the only
value too low on her bloodwork. Maybe that will help the vomiting, who
knows.

My vet said Sweeter's continually giving her mental exercise.

Rhonda

Paige
August 23rd 06, 03:33 AM
> We took Sweeter off of antibiotics because she's been vomiting, with
> plans to put her on something else if needed. We were going to do a
> culture and sensitivity and pinpoint the antibiotic needed, but her
> lymph nodes are down even more today!
>
> I'm giving her Pepcid AC and watching how often she vomits. She is
> keeping her food down but something is irritating her system.
>
> Hopefully, we'll get through all of these after-issues and she'll be a
> happy kitty!
>
> Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

So happy to hear Sweeter's test came back negative. She has "you"
taking care of her and loving her, and she will get better.

Page

Paige
August 23rd 06, 04:33 AM
> We took Sweeter off of antibiotics because she's been vomiting, with
> plans to put her on something else if needed. We were going to do a
> culture and sensitivity and pinpoint the antibiotic needed, but her
> lymph nodes are down even more today!
>
> I'm giving her Pepcid AC and watching how often she vomits. She is
> keeping her food down but something is irritating her system.
>
> Hopefully, we'll get through all of these after-issues and she'll be a
> happy kitty!
>
> Rhonda

Rhonda,

Happy to hear Sweeter is on her way to feeling better. Hope you're
feeling better too, and your worrying will lessen.

Page

Rhonda
August 23rd 06, 06:05 AM
Paige wrote:

>> Rhonda wrote:
>>We took Sweeter off of antibiotics because she's been vomiting, with
>>plans to put her on something else if needed. We were going to do a
>>culture and sensitivity and pinpoint the antibiotic needed, but her
>>lymph nodes are down even more today!
>>
>>I'm giving her Pepcid AC and watching how often she vomits. She is
>>keeping her food down but something is irritating her system.
>>
>>Hopefully, we'll get through all of these after-issues and she'll be a
>>happy kitty!
>>
>>Rhonda
>

> Hi Rhonda,
>
> So happy to hear Sweeter's test came back negative. She has "you"
> taking care of her and loving her, and she will get better.

Thanks, Page!

Rhonda