PDA

View Full Version : Help me avoid declawing my cat, please

Jeffrey Kaplan
August 19th 06, 07:52 AM
While my year-and-a-half neutered female tabby "Delany" no longer claws
me, she's clawing everything else. She's destroyed the paint on my
banisters, she's tearing up my couch, she's tearing up several spots of
my carpets, and she's torn holes in three of my screens (two windows,
one door) big enough to let the mosquitoes and other small flyers in.

I really don't want to get her declawed, I think it's mutilation. But
I'm rapidly running out of ideas. Water sprays get her to stop "now",
but 30 seconds later she's right back at it, plus requires that I'm
there to see her claw it. Every spray thing I've tried only worked for
a few days at most, and then only on fabric items meaning not my
banisters nor screens. Tape doesn't stick, and nothing works to keep
her off the screens: sprays go right through and if I put the tape
stuff on, I may as well just leave the window or door closed.

Help, please.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"So I don't know where he [Osama bin Laden] is. You know, I just don't
spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you...I truly am
not that concerned about him." - George W. Bush

The Polish-Kraut
August 19th 06, 03:02 PM
>While my year-and-a-half neutered female tabby "Delany" no longer claws
>me, she's clawing everything else. She's destroyed the paint on my
>banisters, she's tearing up my couch, she's tearing up several spots of
>my carpets, and she's torn holes in three of my screens (two windows,
>one door) big enough to let the mosquitoes and other small flyers in.
>
>I really don't want to get her declawed, I think it's mutilation.

Here we go again !!!! Another declawing debate is about to begin!!!

My furbabies (Who all have their claws)

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Veloise
August 19th 06, 04:25 PM
Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> While my year-and-a-half neutered female tabby "Delany" no longer claws
> me, she's clawing everything else. She's destroyed the paint on my
> banisters, she's tearing up my couch, she's tearing up several spots of
> my carpets, and she's torn holes in three of my screens (two windows,
> one door) big enough to let the mosquitoes and other small flyers in.
>
> I really don't want to get her declawed, I think it's mutilation. But
> I'm rapidly running out of ideas. Water sprays get her to stop "now",
> but 30 seconds later she's right back at it, plus requires that I'm
> there to see her claw it. Every spray thing I've tried only worked for
> a few days at most, and then only on fabric items meaning not my
> banisters nor screens. Tape doesn't stick, and nothing works to keep
> her off the screens: sprays go right through and if I put the tape
> stuff on, I may as well just leave the window or door closed.

Get her a scratching post. And a rug (some prefer a horizontal
surface).

Trim her nails (this is good fun quality time).

HTH

--Karen D.

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
August 19th 06, 04:58 PM
http://www.fabcats.org/scratching.html
http://www.fabcats.org/scratching_article.html

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
>While my year-and-a-half neutered female tabby "Delany" no longer claws
>me, she's clawing everything else. She's destroyed the paint on my
>banisters, she's tearing up my couch, she's tearing up several spots of
>my carpets, and she's torn holes in three of my screens (two windows,
>one door) big enough to let the mosquitoes and other small flyers in.
>
>I really don't want to get her declawed, I think it's mutilation. But
>I'm rapidly running out of ideas. Water sprays get her to stop "now",
>but 30 seconds later she's right back at it, plus requires that I'm
>there to see her claw it. Every spray thing I've tried only worked for
>a few days at most, and then only on fabric items meaning not my
>banisters nor screens. Tape doesn't stick, and nothing works to keep
>her off the screens: sprays go right through and if I put the tape
>stuff on, I may as well just leave the window or door closed.
>
>Help, please.

The Polish-Kraut
August 19th 06, 05:15 PM

>> While my year-and-a-half neutered female tabby "Delany" no longer claws
>> me, she's clawing everything else. She's destroyed the paint on my
>> banisters, she's tearing up my couch, she's tearing up several spots of
>> my carpets, and she's torn holes in three of my screens (two windows,
>> one door) big enough to let the mosquitoes and other small flyers in.
>>
>> I really don't want to get her declawed, I think it's mutilation. But
>> I'm rapidly running out of ideas. Water sprays get her to stop "now",
>> but 30 seconds later she's right back at it, plus requires that I'm
>> there to see her claw it. Every spray thing I've tried only worked for
>> a few days at most, and then only on fabric items meaning not my
>> banisters nor screens. Tape doesn't stick, and nothing works to keep
>> her off the screens: sprays go right through and if I put the tape
>> stuff on, I may as well just leave the window or door closed.
>>

>Get her a scratching post. And a rug (some prefer a horizontal
>surface).
>
>Trim her nails (this is good fun quality time).
>
>HTH
>
>--Karen D.

I remember those good fun quality FUN times when mine were getting
used to having their nails clipped and still have a few scratch scars
to show for it!!

Even though they are used to getting them clipped on a monthly basis
now they still howl but they will put up with getting it done. I
usually save Sam until last because he likes to attack the clippers
which I will throw on the floor as kind of my way to tell them "See I
am done. Here are the clippers".

It is funny but even the ones that do not get along great come running
when the others howl to make sure they are not getting hurt but they
make sure to stay where they can duck into hiding if I come after
them. It usually takes a couple days to do all because once they see
what I am doing they try to avoid me so I get them when they let their
guard down.

My furbabies (all with claws)

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Jeffrey Kaplan
August 19th 06, 05:19 PM
It is alleged that Veloise claimed:

> Get her a scratching post. And a rug (some prefer a horizontal
> surface).

She has three. A slanted, corrugated cardboard one, a small "cat tree"
with sisal rope and three levels of carpeted ledged, and a small sisal
post on the stair landing near the banister post she most likes to
destroy. (That scratching post was added last.)

> Trim her nails (this is good fun quality time).

She doesn't like to be held that long. I can barely keep her still
long enough to brush her coat.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #123.
If I decide to hold a contest of skill open to the general public,
contestants will be required to remove their hooded cloaks and shave
their beards before entering.

Jeffrey Kaplan
August 19th 06, 05:20 PM
It is alleged that The Polish-Kraut claimed:

> >While my year-and-a-half neutered female tabby "Delany" no longer claws
> >me, she's clawing everything else. She's destroyed the paint on my
> >banisters, she's tearing up my couch, she's tearing up several spots of
> >my carpets, and she's torn holes in three of my screens (two windows,
> >one door) big enough to let the mosquitoes and other small flyers in.
> >
> >I really don't want to get her declawed, I think it's mutilation.
>
> Here we go again !!!! Another declawing debate is about to begin!!!

If there is, remember that I'm trying to AVOID getting that done to my
cat. But OTOH it will cost thousands of dollars to replace the
carpeting in my home; wall-to-wall everywhere except the kitchen/dining
and bathrooms.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #123.
If I decide to hold a contest of skill open to the general public,
contestants will be required to remove their hooded cloaks and shave
their beards before entering.

The Polish-Kraut
August 19th 06, 05:29 PM

>> Trim her nails (this is good fun quality time).
>
>She doesn't like to be held that long. I can barely keep her still
>long enough to brush her coat.

Mine were a holy terror when I first started doing their nails but now
are pretty much resigned to it even through they do not like it and
yell to high heaven. Just make sure you have a good hold on them and
no matter what they do do not give in to them!! Once they learn they
will get their way doing something that is it. Just like a spoiled
kid they will keep doing it!!

I was going to trim my ex's cat's nail and as soon as they started
meowing and getting nuts she got all excited and did not want to do it
which was the wrong thing to do.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

AZ Nomad
August 20th 06, 01:51 AM
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:20:59 -0400, Jeffrey Kaplan > wrote:

>It is alleged that The Polish-Kraut claimed:

>> >While my year-and-a-half neutered female tabby "Delany" no longer claws
>> >me, she's clawing everything else. She's destroyed the paint on my
>> >banisters, she's tearing up my couch, she's tearing up several spots of
>> >my carpets, and she's torn holes in three of my screens (two windows,
>> >one door) big enough to let the mosquitoes and other small flyers in.
>> >
>> >I really don't want to get her declawed, I think it's mutilation.
>>
>> Here we go again !!!! Another declawing debate is about to begin!!!

>If there is, remember that I'm trying to AVOID getting that done to my
>cat. But OTOH it will cost thousands of dollars to replace the
>carpeting in my home; wall-to-wall everywhere except the kitchen/dining
>and bathrooms.

Buy a scratching post and take a valium.

Jeffrey Kaplan
August 20th 06, 05:32 PM
It is alleged that Veloise claimed:

> Trim her nails (this is good fun quality time).

I'll give this another go. Probably front paws only, at least to
start, as she really does not like it.

Thank you.
--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I could take over the universe with this army if I could ever get all their weapons pointed in the same direction." (Adm. Aral Vorkosigan [Lois McMaster Bujold, "Shards of Honor"])

Jeffrey Kaplan
August 25th 06, 11:44 PM
It is alleged that Jeffrey Kaplan claimed:

> It is alleged that Veloise claimed:
>
> > Trim her nails (this is good fun quality time).
>
> I'll give this another go. Probably front paws only, at least to
> start, as she really does not like it.

Trimming her claws does not seem to be helping.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"The Superior Person's Book Of Words", by Peter Bowler: BELLWETHER: A
male sheep which leads the flock, with a bell tied around its neck.
Hence, anyone who assumes a leading role or takes the initiative - more
appropriately, among a group of less than dynamic or purposeful
colleagues.

Veloise
August 26th 06, 01:35 PM
Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> Trimming her claws does not seem to be helping.

Put plastic or foil, and make it unfriendly-smelling, on the former
targets.

Load the desired target up with catnip and good-smelling (to her)
stuff.

Spend a few evenings and weekends with a squirt gun and can 'o pennies
guarding former targets. It might take several days to sink in.

Does she respond to praise? Mine live for a few strokes and "goooood
kitty!!!!!"

Somehow my two gravitated to the thrift store scratching post, and
that's all they use. One prefers horizontal so she sometimes works on
the (ratty old rental) carpet.

HTH

--Karen D.

Jeffrey Kaplan
August 26th 06, 06:11 PM
It is alleged that Veloise claimed:

> Put plastic or foil, and make it unfriendly-smelling, on the former
> targets.

Since several of the targets are the screens on my windows and front
door, that kinda defeats the purpose of opening the windows and door.

I've also in the past tried to put stuff like that on the furniture,
but it won't stick to the fabric.

> Spend a few evenings and weekends with a squirt gun and can 'o pennies
> guarding former targets. It might take several days to sink in.

It hasn't sunk in yet, a year and a half later.

> Does she respond to praise? Mine live for a few strokes and "goooood
> kitty!!!!!"

Not really. Though I think kitty treats after brushing or nail
clipping is helping there.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Tips for the Innocent Bystander: 3. Watching the Evil Overlord's
interview on TV will no doubt be interesting, but don't be in the
studio audience when he/she/it hosts "Saturday Night Live." Tape it,
and wait a week or so to see if any other viewers had any seizures or
mind-control problems before you watch the tape.

Amthyst826
September 1st 06, 09:52 PM
Every heard of Soft-Paws, or is it Soft-Claws?
They are small sheaths that go over the claws and glue in place. The
cat can't dig into anything. They fall off as the claws grow, so have
to be replaced.

We started praising our cats when they use the kitty tree for any
clawing, even if it is just preparation to climb up. And they get "Bad
kitty, Bad Kitty, no-no" when they claw anything else. For four of
the six cats, this seems to have worked. For the other two, they just
wait until I am not around.

Rub catnip on the scratching post and/or kitty tree. It encourages
them to scratch there.

When Princess starts clawing, it time for a paw-dicure. She doesn't
like it, but when I'm done I give her a special treat that she never
gets any other time. Each trim gets better and better. It's gone from
a hissing and spitting wrestling match to just growling to show she
doesn't like what's going on.

If your cat objects to something you are doing, and you let them go,
they win. They exerted their dominance over you and you'll pay he77
ever getting them to coorporate. I had to make my mom leave the room
when I trim her cats nails cause the cat learned that if she threw a
hissy fit, mom would make me let her go. When mom isn't there, she
sits back and lets me get the job done. I am the nurse/docotr for all
of the cats, and insist that I am top cat always. It saves me on
iodine and gauze!!!
All of the cats =
At home - My four cats, plus Mom's two cats
At my Aunts house - her two cats
At my mom's work - Their one office cat
At my friends house - Their one cat
At my brothers house - Their three cats
Plus about four neighborhood feral cats I keep an eye on

Good Luck!
'Chelle

Jeffrey Kaplan
September 2nd 06, 02:35 AM
It is alleged that Amthyst826 claimed:

> Every heard of Soft-Paws, or is it Soft-Claws?

Soft-Paws, I thing.

> They are small sheaths that go over the claws and glue in place. The
> cat can't dig into anything. They fall off as the claws grow, so have
> to be replaced.

I think I'd rather trim the claws. Less expensive in the long run. And
besides... as long as the claws are there, they can still dig into the
screens and the fabric of my recliner.

> We started praising our cats when they use the kitty tree for any
> clawing, even if it is just preparation to climb up. And they get "Bad
> kitty, Bad Kitty, no-no" when they claw anything else. For four of
> the six cats, this seems to have worked. For the other two, they just
> wait until I am not around.

Delany doesn't even always wait for me to not be around.

> Rub catnip on the scratching post and/or kitty tree. It encourages
> them to scratch there.

Doesn't work. Oh, she usually likes the catnip, but the effects are so
temporary that all it does is turn her into a crazy cat for about 20
minutes.

> When Princess starts clawing, it time for a paw-dicure. She doesn't
> like it, but when I'm done I give her a special treat that she never
> gets any other time. Each trim gets better and better. It's gone from
> a hissing and spitting wrestling match to just growling to show she
> doesn't like what's going on.

I've got her now to the point where I can trim her claws and brush her
coat without needing bandages after.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #168.
I will plan in advance what to do with each of my enemies if they are
captured. That way, I will never have to order someone to be tied up
while I decide his fate.