PDA

View Full Version : Post-Pregnancy Behavior.

Perpetually Confused via CatKB.com
August 20th 06, 11:13 PM
Hello all. A few weeks ago, while walking outside my apartment, I came across
a stray cat sleeping on the stairs. I was still a little bummed about my
prior cat, which had gotten out one morning, and was hit by a car, and I
still had some of the cat's food, so I decided it wouldn't hurt to feed this
stray.

Of course, as has ben the case with most strays I've come across, after that
she wouldn't leave my apartment, and for a week I told myself as always, I
couldn't take in another stray, and of course by the end of the week she was
sleeping on my couch.

A short time later I realized she was pregnant. To confirm it I did a little
bit of research online. I decided there was no way I'd be able to take care
of a full litter of cats, so I called a local shelter. I was informed they
would immidiately put any pregnant cat they got to sleep, and I just couldn't
handle being a part of that, so I instead decided I'd let her have the
kittens here, and then put an ad in the paper after eight or nine weeks.

My theory is, that someone must have abandoned her when they found out she
was pregnant, because she's an extremely mellow, good-natured cat. She's yet
to show any sign of agression at all, absolutely loves being pet, and doesn't
fear me harming her kittens at all. When she gave birth, she tried to have
them on my bed. I took her to have them on an area I'd set aside at the
bottom of the pantry with pillows, a sheet, and a towel, btu she rejected
that, and opted to have them on a suit case I had under a table in the
kitchen. She stayed there with them for three days, and then one by one, she
moved them all (four kittens) to my drawer, in my bedroom.

She's behaved extremely well, both to me and people who have come to the
house, and her kittens. I feared she might reject them, but she's been the
perfect mother cat.

However, since the pregnancy, her apetite has all but dissappeared. I had
been feeding her a combination of dry food, and wet food. Whiskas food
pouches (Mixed Grill is her favorite flavor.) usually one pouch in the
morning, and one at night, with a bowl of dry food in between, unless she
rejected it, or was hungry again, in which case on some days I would give her
more.

Now though, I'm lucky if I can get her to eat one pouch a day. I tried giving
her different flavors, giving her the dry food, decreasing the portion, I
even put the dry food in a blender with some water. If I'm lucky, she'll take
a few small bites, and then stop eating. Sometimes it's the flavor. I can get
her to eat a fish flavor, but not a beef flavor. Or vice versa with any of
the other flavored pouches. Sometimes she'll only eat the dry food, and I'm
becoming worried. A little earlier she started meowing very loudly like she
was in pain. She made more or less the same sound she made while she was
giving birth to the first two of the four kittens (they came out at the same
time.)

I tried feeding her, and she meowed and showed interest in it, but when I put
the food down, she would sniff it, but not eat it. She took maybe two bites
of the dry food, and went back to the kittens, and I'm also worried because
she looks extremely skinny now.

What am I doing wrong? Could it be a parasite?

22brix
August 21st 06, 12:06 AM
"Perpetually Confused via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
> the other flavored pouches. Sometimes she'll only eat the dry food, and
> I'm
> becoming worried. A little earlier she started meowing very loudly like
> she
> was in pain. She made more or less the same sound she made while she was
> giving birth to the first two of the four kittens (they came out at the
> same
> time.)
>
> I tried feeding her, and she meowed and showed interest in it, but when I
> put
> the food down, she would sniff it, but not eat it. She took maybe two
> bites
> of the dry food, and went back to the kittens, and I'm also worried
> because
> she looks extremely skinny now.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Could it be a parasite?

Good for you for taking her in! Have you been able to take her to the vet?
She (and the babies) needs calories. I'm not an expert on nursing mothers
but she could have an infection, she may have been injured giving birth to
two kittens at one time, or there may be something else going on with her.
Only the vet can help you there. As far as food, I'd find the smelliest
canned food you can find, warm it up a bit and try that. Sometimes hand
feeding can help too but one way or another she needs to eat. She won't be
able to keep feeding her babies if she's sick.

Please take her in to be seen by a vet!! Good luck with Momma and babies!

Bonnie

August 21st 06, 01:03 AM
In article >,
says...

> [...]
> > of the dry food, and went back to the kittens, and I'm also worried
> > because
> > she looks extremely skinny now.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? Could it be a parasite?
> >
> > --
> >

> Good for you for taking her in! Have you been able to take her to the vet?
> She (and the babies) needs calories. I'm not an expert on nursing mothers
> but she could have an infection, she may have been injured giving birth to
> two kittens at one time, or there may be something else going on with her.
> Only the vet can help you there. As far as food, I'd find the smelliest
> canned food you can find, warm it up a bit and try that. Sometimes hand
> feeding can help too but one way or another she needs to eat. She won't be
> able to keep feeding her babies if she's sick.
>
> Please take her in to be seen by a vet!! Good luck with Momma and babies!

In addition kitten food isn't just for the kittens, mom can use the
extra calories too. But the mother cat does need to see a vet and soon,
but you'll probably have to transport the whole brood.

Perpetually Confused via CatKB.com
August 27th 06, 04:34 PM
Hello again, and thanks for the advice.

Her apetite for the most part returned after I tried a few online remedies I
found; Water with a drop of honey in it, milk mixed with an egg yolk and a
bit of honey, giving her the kitten food, etc.

That's no longer really an issue. Her apetite has returned in full swing.

Now however, every time she goes to the kittens, she starts walking back and
forth around where she has them, and meowing. I'm not sure if she's trying to
communicate with the kittens, or me. If there might be something wrong with
them, or she's becoming detatched from them.

I've looked in, and peeked at the kittens, but there doesn't seem to be
anything wrong with them. The only change is that the day before yesterday,
they started opening their eyes. They're starting to try to walk now.

They have grown quite quickly though. About a year ago, I took in a kitten a
neighbor had dumped off near my complex, and she was much older than these
kittens (at least two months, maybe older) but she was much skinnier, and
smaller when I found her. These guys have become quite large, and fat. I'm
not sure if that means these guys are eating too much, or it's breed specific,
or if the other kitten was malnourished when I found it.

The only other change I can think of, is that the mother cat (whom I've named
Shadow) has started using the litterbox I put out for her. When I first
started letting her in, she wouldn't use it, and would meow at the door when
she needed to use the bathroom, but now she's using the litterbox, and no
longer has any interest in going outside.

So, is the circling, and meowing normal?

Oh, and I planned to take them all to a vet in a carrier once the kittens had
reached the two week mark, and could walk. I'm afraid to seperate them for
too long, and I'm afraid to move them that much before they're supposed to be
handled.

Perpetually Confused via CatKB.com
September 2nd 06, 11:17 AM
Hey again. I don't know if any of you have been keeping up on this thread, or
care to know, but I do have a final update on the condition of the mother,
and the kittens.

As I stated earlier, she moved all four of the kittens to one of my dresser
drawers, and has kept them there from day 3 to now (day 18.) I figured out
why she was pacing, and meowing. She's been trying to encourage the kittens
to get up, and jump out of the drawer. It's been quite enriching to watch her
teach her kittens.

In any event, after three days, they caught on. Though, the front of the
drawer was too high for them to climb out of, they did come to the corner,
stick their heads out over it, and try to climb it.

Tonight, I went out for about 30 minutes, and when I got home, one of the
kittens had decided since it couldn't climb over the front of the drawer, it
would try the back of the drawer. I had placed a towel in the emptied drawer,
and cracked it open so she'd be able to get in and out easily, and the
kittens wouldn't suffocate. So there was enough space behind the back of it
for that one kitten to fall over, and end up stuck on the bottom drawer.

So when I got back, the mother didn't know what to do, and the fourth kitten
was crying. So, I pulled the kittens out one by one, and then the drawer, and
carefully got him out. He was fine. I then decided that space wouldn't work
for them anymore, because that could happen again, so I carried the drawer
with mother, and kittens in tow, and put it down in the area I had originally
set aside in the pantry. Which I guess was a compromise.

She stayed with them happily for the rest of the night, though just now, she
popped back up in my bedroom searching through the drawers again. I'm worried
she may still think they're there, or be considering bringing them back. I
hope she doesn't associate this palce with the kittens, she was in the drawer
when I moved it.

In any event, the kittens are active, and mobile now, so I'm confident in
taking the mother, and kittens to the vet finally, and will tommorrow. Or,
later today I should say.

Thanks for the kind words, and advice...

22brix
September 2nd 06, 06:24 PM
What fun! Sounds like they're all doing well! Do you plan to keep any of
the kittens? I've never had the pleasure of raising little kittens and I'm
actually a bit envious! Good luck.

Bonnie

"Perpetually Confused via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hey again. I don't know if any of you have been keeping up on this thread,
> or
> care to know, but I do have a final update on the condition of the mother,
> and the kittens.
>
> As I stated earlier, she moved all four of the kittens to one of my
> dresser
> drawers, and has kept them there from day 3 to now (day 18.) I figured out
> why she was pacing, and meowing. She's been trying to encourage the
> kittens
> to get up, and jump out of the drawer. It's been quite enriching to watch
> her
> teach her kittens.
>
> In any event, after three days, they caught on. Though, the front of the
> drawer was too high for them to climb out of, they did come to the
> corner,
> stick their heads out over it, and try to climb it.
>
> Tonight, I went out for about 30 minutes, and when I got home, one of the
> kittens had decided since it couldn't climb over the front of the drawer,
> it
> would try the back of the drawer. I had placed a towel in the emptied
> drawer,
> and cracked it open so she'd be able to get in and out easily, and the
> kittens wouldn't suffocate. So there was enough space behind the back of
> it
> for that one kitten to fall over, and end up stuck on the bottom drawer.
>
> So when I got back, the mother didn't know what to do, and the fourth
> kitten
> was crying. So, I pulled the kittens out one by one, and then the drawer,
> and
> carefully got him out. He was fine. I then decided that space wouldn't
> work
> for them anymore, because that could happen again, so I carried the drawer
> with mother, and kittens in tow, and put it down in the area I had
> originally
> set aside in the pantry. Which I guess was a compromise.
>
> She stayed with them happily for the rest of the night, though just now,
> she
> popped back up in my bedroom searching through the drawers again. I'm
> worried
> she may still think they're there, or be considering bringing them back. I
> hope she doesn't associate this palce with the kittens, she was in the
> drawer
> when I moved it.
>
> In any event, the kittens are active, and mobile now, so I'm confident in
> taking the mother, and kittens to the vet finally, and will tommorrow. Or,
> later today I should say.
>
> Thanks for the kind words, and advice...

Perpetually Confused via CatKB.com
September 7th 06, 07:08 AM
22brix wrote:
>What fun! Sounds like they're all doing well! Do you plan to keep any of
>the kittens? I've never had the pleasure of raising little kittens and I'm
>actually a bit envious! Good luck.
>
>Bonnie

Got the mother to the vet. For some reason, the vet advised me to hold off on
bringing the kittens, and start with just the mother.

One of the reasons I wanted to take her was because she had these red, sore
spots that started showing up on her neck, and chest area, like she had been
scratching her hair off. The vet informed me she has ear mites, and I'm
giving her medication three times a day for them now, as well as the patches
on her chest and neck which he says are due to mites as well. He wants to
test her for worms, but otherwise she's in good health.

They commented on how well behaved she was. I plan to set up an appointment
to take the kittens next week. Not sure why he wanted me to hold off on
bringing them.

As to keeping the kittens, it depends. When they reach two months old, I plan
to put an ad in the paper, and see if anyone wants one. I'm also gently
nudging my grandmother to keep one. She used to have a dog which she spoiled
rotten, and loved to death, but he died a couple years ago, and she's been
depressed ever since. She said she'd love to have a dog running around the
house, but doesn't have the energy for all the barking, and walking. So, I
think a cat would be perfect for her, and these kittens take after their
mother so far. No aggression at all. And I know she's a good pet owner.

If I can't find any good homes for the kittens though, I will keep all of
them. Hopefully I'll find homes for them.

So I'm not too worried about their health now for the most part. Only two odd
behaviors in the mother worry me at all. She's sort of becoming a three hour
alarm clock. If I'm asleep, or laying in bed, every three hours or so, she'll
very quietly jump onto the drawer next to my bed, and meow at me. This can
mean any number of things, from her being hungry, to wanting out. Sometimes I
can't figure out what it is at all though. Though when I get up, she tends to
lead me in the direction of what ever she wants.

Another habit -for better or worse- she's developed, is walking up to the
toilet, putting her paws on it, and meowing whenever she wants water. I keep
the top closed so she doesn't drink from the toilet, but whenever she wants
her water bowl refilled, she just leans against the toilet and meows.

And also if I close any door in the house behind me, while she hasn't
complained or meowed, when I open it again, unless she's asleep with her
kittens, she is always sitting in front of the door waiting for me. If I go
to the bathroom, or to check the mail, or forget to leave my bedroom door
cracked, sure enough when I open it, she'll be seated quietly in front of it.

Also, I strongly believe whoever abandoned her must have abused her. If I
step off my bed too quickly, she thinks I'm going to kick her, and will run
away. If anyone reaches out to pet her, she lowers her head and meows. She's
most comfortable with me though, as when others have pet her she'll pull back
or run away.