PDA

View Full Version : JasperDuds is not doing so hot :(

Kitkat
August 20th 06, 11:49 PM
The details are making my head spin right now, but suffice it to say he
is having a pretty bad flare up of his pancreatitis. Of course, as luck
would have it, he picked the day my husband and I left town for a really
really needed vacation to get sick. It has been an up and down week
(this all started last Tuesday but we didnt know until Wednesday because
the cat sitter didnt realize that it was a problem) and we came home
today, a day earlier than was planned. (fortunately, Southwest airlines
tends to be really good about changing a flight and it didn't cost much
at all) He went to the vet (my neighbor took him) on Friday and had
fluids and meds via injection and seemed to perk up a bit and even eat a
little but by saturday (yesterday) he was back to no eating. He ate some
baby food for me when we got home and drank some water too. Right now,
he is just resting in a sunny spot, all stretched out.

When the vet saw him last week, 2 things were noted in his bloodwork...a
lowered red blood cell count (not abnormal, but just lower) and some
elevated liver values. None of it looks too good and it seems to be all
a case of what the hell is the actual cause of all this internal trauma
for him.

I'm hoping to hold out til morning for the vet, but if things get really
bad, we'll be going to the 911 vet. I like his vet and she really knows
him (as well as understands about him being a terrible patient) and she
knows how we feel about things like quality of life, etc. I really hope
he stays steady until 8am tomorrow (just over 12 hrs to go!).

So, to make a long story short, Duds could use some purrs or whatever.
Come to think of it...I could use a purr or two myself!

Pam

cybercat
August 20th 06, 11:58 PM
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
et...
> The details are making my head spin right now, but suffice it to say he
> is having a pretty bad flare up of his pancreatitis. [...]
> So, to make a long story short, Duds could use some purrs or whatever.
> Come to think of it...I could use a purr or two myself!

Around here, the cats purr and I pray. ;) Sending both to you, Pam. I am
sorry
you had to cut your vacation short, and I hope Dudley rallies. He is a
special
boy and is in good hands.

22brix
August 21st 06, 12:11 AM
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
et...
> The details are making my head spin right now, but suffice it to say he is
> having a pretty bad flare up of his pancreatitis. Of course, as luck would
> have it, he picked the day my husband and I left town for a really really
> needed vacation to get sick. It has been an up and down week (this all
> started last Tuesday but we didnt know until Wednesday because the cat
> sitter didnt realize that it was a problem) and we came home today, a day
> earlier than was planned. (fortunately, Southwest airlines tends to be
> really good about changing a flight and it didn't cost much at all) He
> went to the vet (my neighbor took him) on Friday and had fluids and meds
> via injection and seemed to perk up a bit and even eat a little but by
> saturday (yesterday) he was back to no eating. He ate some baby food for
> me when we got home and drank some water too. Right now, he is just
> resting in a sunny spot, all stretched out.
>
> When the vet saw him last week, 2 things were noted in his bloodwork...a
> lowered red blood cell count (not abnormal, but just lower) and some
> elevated liver values. None of it looks too good and it seems to be all a
> case of what the hell is the actual cause of all this internal trauma for
> him.
>
> I'm hoping to hold out til morning for the vet, but if things get really
> bad, we'll be going to the 911 vet. I like his vet and she really knows
> him (as well as understands about him being a terrible patient) and she
> knows how we feel about things like quality of life, etc. I really hope he
> stays steady until 8am tomorrow (just over 12 hrs to go!).
>
> So, to make a long story short, Duds could use some purrs or whatever.
> Come to think of it...I could use a purr or two myself!
>
> Pam

Hugs and purrs to both of you! I hope Dudley responds to treatment and
recover soon. Why do these things have to happen on vacation--maybe having
you home will help him feel better.

Bonnie

Kitkat
August 21st 06, 02:18 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "Kitkat" > wrote in message
> et...
>
>>The details are making my head spin right now, but suffice it to say he
>>is having a pretty bad flare up of his pancreatitis. [...]
>>So, to make a long story short, Duds could use some purrs or whatever.
>>Come to think of it...I could use a purr or two myself!
>>

> Around here, the cats purr and I pray. ;) Sending both to you, Pam. I am
> sorry
> you had to cut your vacation short, and I hope Dudley rallies. He is a
> special
> boy and is in good hands.

Nancy...you wouldnt even believe where I was on vacation. Now I feel
like an idiot because I didn't let you know!!!! Yep, I was in your neck
of the woods!!!

cybercat
August 21st 06, 10:12 AM
"Kitkat" > wrote>

> Yep, I was in your neck of the woods!!!

Well, we were recovering from a house full of stay-over company, so
another time might be better, anyway. :) But I sure hope we can have
coffee next time.

I will be thinking about you and Jasper today, and hoping to hear
good news.

Lesley
August 22nd 06, 04:00 PM
Kitkat wrote:

> So, to make a long story short, Duds could use some purrs or whatever.
> Come to think of it...I could use a purr or two myself!

Purrs for you and for JasperDuds. Keep us posted- he's one special
kitty

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Kitkat
August 22nd 06, 06:00 PM
Lesley wrote:
> Kitkat wrote:
>

>>So, to make a long story short, Duds could use some purrs or whatever.
>>Come to think of it...I could use a purr or two myself!
>>

> Purrs for you and for JasperDuds. Keep us posted- he's one special
> kitty
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Thanks, Lesley! He truly is a special boy. All of our kitties are
special, but there is something extra special about the Dudley!
We just got back from another vet visit and I learned how to give him
fluids. He does seem to be doing better. He has been eating and keeping
it down and even gained a tiny itty bit of weight back! Yay! He does
seem to like the Hills i/d, so i bought a few more cans of it and
hopefully he will continue to like it! :)

If things go well and he does continue to improve, then we will just
keep up our routine of oral steroids and the fluid injections as needed
per vet's instructions. Then in a few weeks, we would do a repeat blood
test to see how his liver is doing. She also said the yellow,
jaundice-like coloring will go away within a few weeks as his body
returns to a more normal state. In the meanwhile, we will still call him
"Mellow Yellow" or "Old Yeller"...these are the things that help DH and
myself keep a smile on our face rather than break down into a pool of tears.

By the way, have any of you guys used the cyproheptadine and found that
your cat was like a zombie? Doesn't it seem a little weird that it is
used as an appetite stimulant, but it makes the kitties want to sleep
instead of eat!!! doh!