PDA

View Full Version : Cat Dander in a FELV cat

Mary Karr
August 21st 06, 08:57 PM
I have not been on this list in years but I thought I would ask this
question about a rescue cat I came home with from New Orleans. His name is
Bubba and he is about 5-8 years old. He is a hefty cat and VERY friendly.
Unfortunately he is also FELV positive. He has to remain separated from our
other cats and that means his contact with people is not as much as I know
he needs. I cannot locate a home for him - most likely because he is FELV+.
Other than the dander and a recurring eye irritation, he seems to be
perfectly fine.

My question is this - what is causing his dander? Could it be that he is
emotionally depressed since he seems to need more human contact than he is
able to be given right now? I feel bad for him and I almost had a home for
him, but the person was new to cats and felt she wouldn't be able to provide
good medical support for him. He needs a special person that knows what is
coming, and who can love him no matter what and give him all the support he
needs, medically and emotionally. There are times I wish I only had him just
so I could love him to pieces like he deserves. Or could the dander be a
symptom of a food allergy or lack of a vitamin? Thank you, Mary

MaryL
August 22nd 06, 01:36 PM
"Mary Karr" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
>I have not been on this list in years but I thought I would ask this
>question about a rescue cat I came home with from New Orleans. His name is
>Bubba and he is about 5-8 years old. He is a hefty cat and VERY friendly.
>Unfortunately he is also FELV positive. He has to remain separated from our
>other cats and that means his contact with people is not as much as I know
>he needs. I cannot locate a home for him - most likely because he is FELV+.
>Other than the dander and a recurring eye irritation, he seems to be
>perfectly fine.
>
> My question is this - what is causing his dander? Could it be that he is
> emotionally depressed since he seems to need more human contact than he is
> able to be given right now? I feel bad for him and I almost had a home for
> him, but the person was new to cats and felt she wouldn't be able to
> provide good medical support for him. He needs a special person that knows
> what is coming, and who can love him no matter what and give him all the
> support he needs, medically and emotionally. There are times I wish I only
> had him just so I could love him to pieces like he deserves. Or could the
> dander be a symptom of a food allergy or lack of a vitamin? Thank you,
> Mary

First, have you asked a vet about his dander? If so, what does he eat?
Holly had some dandruff when she was eating dry food (and it really shows on
her black fur). I later changed to a diet of premium canned food. The
change was made to provide a healthier diet. I didn't even think about
dander because she did not have a significant amount and her vet had already
given her a clean bill of health. So, I assumed that it was simply more
noticeable because of her color. After using canned food (primarily a
variety of Wellness plus Innova Evo), I suddenly realized that her dandruff
had completely disappeared.

MaryL