PDA

View Full Version : Took kitten to vet--kind of listless and no appetite now

Tabby
August 22nd 06, 04:40 AM
Took a stray that showed up several weeks ago to the vet.

She thinks he is about 5 months, gave the FVCRP and FeLv vacccines.
This was about 10 am. Now he is kind of listless and has no appetite.

I assume this is some sort of reaction to the vaccine. Should I be
concerned? How long should I wait to see if he gets better before going
back?

22brix
August 22nd 06, 05:21 AM
"Tabby" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Took a stray that showed up several weeks ago to the vet.
>
> She thinks he is about 5 months, gave the FVCRP and FeLv vacccines. This
> was about 10 am. Now he is kind of listless and has no appetite.
>
> I assume this is some sort of reaction to the vaccine. Should I be
> concerned? How long should I wait to see if he gets better before going
> back?

I've had several cats react like that to the vaccines--he should be feeling
better in a day or so.

Bonnie

Gail Futoran
August 22nd 06, 09:08 PM
"Tabby" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Took a stray that showed up several weeks ago to the vet.
>
> She thinks he is about 5 months, gave the FVCRP and FeLv vacccines. This
> was about 10 am. Now he is kind of listless and has no appetite.
>
> I assume this is some sort of reaction to the vaccine. Should I be
> concerned? How long should I wait to see if he gets better before going
> back?

One of my 4 cats responds that way, particularly, I believe, to the FeLV
shot. Your cat should be better in a day or two, but if he gets worse, take
him back to the vet.

Suggestions for next year:

Divide up the shots. Instead of giving all shots on one day, give them a
week apart.

Someone once suggested I have the vet give my sensitive cat prednisone (a 5
mg tablet) before the FeLV vaccination. I had that done for the past 2
years and she didn't respond negatively to the shot(s) as she did before.
You might check with you vet about that, though.

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Rhonda
August 23rd 06, 01:24 AM
Gail Futoran wrote:

> Someone once suggested I have the vet give my sensitive cat prednisone (a 5
> mg tablet) before the FeLV vaccination. I had that done for the past 2
> years and she didn't respond negatively to the shot(s) as she did before.
> You might check with you vet about that, though.

Gail,

Prednisone is a steroid, has the vet suggested any problems with giving
a steroid to your kitty?

The reason I ask is one of our cats had one steroid shot (for allergies)
and three weeks later he had diabetes. As I understand it, some cats are
prone to type II diabetes and steroids can trigger it. Our cat was 11
years old and overweight, which did not help.

I'm paranoid about steroids for cats now, so thought I would toss that in.

Rhonda

Gail Futoran
August 23rd 06, 07:08 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message

> Gail Futoran wrote:
>
>> Someone once suggested I have the vet give my sensitive cat prednisone (a
>> 5 mg tablet) before the FeLV vaccination. I had that done for the past 2
>> years and she didn't respond negatively to the shot(s) as she did before.
>> You might check with you vet about that, though.
>
> Gail,
>
> Prednisone is a steroid, has the vet suggested any problems with giving a
> steroid to your kitty?
>
> The reason I ask is one of our cats had one steroid shot (for allergies)
> and three weeks later he had diabetes. As I understand it, some cats are
> prone to type II diabetes and steroids can trigger it. Our cat was 11
> years old and overweight, which did not help.
>
> I'm paranoid about steroids for cats now, so thought I would toss that in.
>
> Rhonda

Rhonda -
My vet hadn't mentioned that potential problem with steroids. Thanks for
mentioning it, and I will bring it up before the next round of vaccinations.
So far, though, my cat that gets the pill hasn't had any health problems.
She's 6 years old and slender; perhaps it's something I need to worry about
more as she gets older.