PDA

View Full Version : Question about peeing :)

Kitkat
August 23rd 06, 12:51 AM
So, I noticed today after we got home from the vet, that Dudley went in
the box to pee. He didnt sit very long before he jumped back out,
without peeing. He did that 3 times and on the 3rd time he peed. (3rd
times a charm!) That was about 5-6 hrs ago. Just now, he basically did
the same thing. Got in the box twice and then went to find the other box
and peed there. Almost like he was irritated that he couldnt get the pee
out the first two times? This is a totally new development and now it is
after hours, so I cant call my vet til the morning. Considering what he
has been through and the meds he is on, including fluids, might this
just be normal? I am pretty freaked out now (again...for a change) that
he could have some kind of urinary tract issue on top of the rest. I
suppose it wouldnt be strange for all systems to start failing at a
certain point (esp. if he does have cancer?)...this is just tough to
watch! Obviously, I'll be calling the vet in the AM to ask, but I
thought maybe some of you might have some experience, too. He's got
fluids and meds (famotidine, dexamethasone, pain killer and an
antibiotic) in his system...and he had them on Friday, Monday and today.
Maybe he feels like he has to pee more because of all the fluids?

Dunno. Scared!

Gail
August 23rd 06, 01:01 AM
Sounds like he has a urinary tract infection. He should be seen by your vet.
Gail
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
m...
> So, I noticed today after we got home from the vet, that Dudley went in
> the box to pee. He didnt sit very long before he jumped back out, without
> peeing. He did that 3 times and on the 3rd time he peed. (3rd times a
> charm!) That was about 5-6 hrs ago. Just now, he basically did the same
> thing. Got in the box twice and then went to find the other box and peed
> there. Almost like he was irritated that he couldnt get the pee out the
> first two times? This is a totally new development and now it is after
> hours, so I cant call my vet til the morning. Considering what he has been
> through and the meds he is on, including fluids, might this just be
> normal? I am pretty freaked out now (again...for a change) that he could
> have some kind of urinary tract issue on top of the rest. I suppose it
> wouldnt be strange for all systems to start failing at a certain point
> (esp. if he does have cancer?)...this is just tough to watch! Obviously,
> I'll be calling the vet in the AM to ask, but I thought maybe some of you
> might have some experience, too. He's got fluids and meds (famotidine,
> dexamethasone, pain killer and an antibiotic) in his system...and he had
> them on Friday, Monday and today. Maybe he feels like he has to pee more
> because of all the fluids?
>
> Dunno. Scared!

Kitkat
August 23rd 06, 01:20 AM
Gail wrote:
> Sounds like he has a urinary tract infection. He should be seen by your vet.
> Gail

Right, so like I mentioned in my post I'll be calling the vet first
thing in the morning. I just wondered if anyone else who had a sick cat
that was jacked up on meds and fluids might have experienced something
like this and it didnt turn out to be a UTI.

:::crossing fingers:::

Cheryl
August 23rd 06, 01:28 AM
On Tue 22 Aug 2006 07:51:12p, Kitkat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
om):

> So, I noticed today after we got home from the vet, that Dudley
> went in the box to pee. He didnt sit very long before he jumped
> back out, without peeing. He did that 3 times and on the 3rd
> time he peed. (3rd times a charm!) That was about 5-6 hrs ago.
> Just now, he basically did the same thing. Got in the box twice
> and then went to find the other box and peed there. Almost like
> he was irritated that he couldnt get the pee out the first two
> times? This is a totally new development and now it is after
> hours, so I cant call my vet til the morning. Considering what
> he has been through and the meds he is on, including fluids,
> might this just be normal? I am pretty freaked out now
> (again...for a change) that he could have some kind of urinary
> tract issue on top of the rest. I suppose it wouldnt be strange
> for all systems to start failing at a certain point (esp. if he
> does have cancer?)...this is just tough to watch! Obviously,
> I'll be calling the vet in the AM to ask, but I thought maybe
> some of you might have some experience, too. He's got fluids and
> meds (famotidine, dexamethasone, pain killer and an antibiotic)
> in his system...and he had them on Friday, Monday and today.
> Maybe he feels like he has to pee more because of all the
> fluids?
>
> Dunno. Scared!

My personal opinion and observation:
I'd watch him to see if he *CAN'T* pee. If he is peeing, it isn't
an emergency and can wait until tomorrow to call the vet. It could
be that he's glad to be home after his ordeal and he's finding
comfort in familiar places, and he might even spray it. He's been
through a lot lately. Try not to see every behavior as another
problem, though I know how hard that is to do. If he's had pain
killers he might even still be out of it a little bit and finding
his familiar place is comforting to him.

JasperPurrs going out from my gang of 4.

--
Cheryl

Kitkat
August 23rd 06, 01:49 AM

> My personal opinion and observation:
> I'd watch him to see if he *CAN'T* pee. If he is peeing, it isn't
> an emergency and can wait until tomorrow to call the vet. It could
> be that he's glad to be home after his ordeal and he's finding
> comfort in familiar places, and he might even spray it. He's been
> through a lot lately. Try not to see every behavior as another
> problem, though I know how hard that is to do. If he's had pain
> killers he might even still be out of it a little bit and finding
> his familiar place is comforting to him.
>
> JasperPurrs going out from my gang of 4.

Thanks, Cheryl. Much appreciated. So far he at least has been able to
pee. ANd yes, he does seem to be a little out if it and he has had pain
killers. He is one determined little guy...DH and I followed him up and
down the halls as he tried to get his bearings and got to the other box,
where he peed and we cheered. LOL.
:)