PDA

View Full Version : washing paws in water bowl

hamilton
August 23rd 06, 03:34 PM
Our 4-5 month old kitten has a new habit-- washing his paws in his
water bowl. He does this frequently, especially after visiting his
litterbox. I change his water frequently, since I think the litterbox
sand could poison his water, but I'm not always around. I also got him
a different water bowl but he still does it.

Is this behavior ok? Is this a passing stage of kittenhood?

He is also jumping in his litterbox frequently. I can;t tell if he's
playing or peeing a lot. If he's peeing, it's taking him longer than
usual and he's not producing much. I think he's playing, trying to pee
when there isn;t much to produce. Another stage of kittenhood or is it
time for a visit to the vet?

Thanks

Buddy
August 23rd 06, 07:08 PM
You may want to have a vet check him for his in and out of the litter
pan problem. As for putting his foot in the water dish - I think that
is the way he is drinking. I had a cat who did that with my coffee cup
- after it cooled down. She liked coffee. She never got over the
habit.

hamilton wrote:
> Our 4-5 month old kitten has a new habit-- washing his paws in his
> water bowl. He does this frequently, especially after visiting his
> litterbox. I change his water frequently, since I think the litterbox
> sand could poison his water, but I'm not always around. I also got him
> a different water bowl but he still does it.
>
> Is this behavior ok? Is this a passing stage of kittenhood?
>
> He is also jumping in his litterbox frequently. I can;t tell if he's
> playing or peeing a lot. If he's peeing, it's taking him longer than
> usual and he's not producing much. I think he's playing, trying to pee
> when there isn;t much to produce. Another stage of kittenhood or is it
> time for a visit to the vet?
>
> Thanks

The Polish-Kraut
August 23rd 06, 08:00 PM
>> Our 4-5 month old kitten has a new habit-- washing his paws in his
>> water bowl. He does this frequently, especially after visiting his
>> litterbox. I change his water frequently, since I think the litterbox
>> sand could poison his water, but I'm not always around. I also got him
>> a different water bowl but he still does it.
>>
>> Is this behavior ok? Is this a passing stage of kittenhood?
>>
>> He is also jumping in his litterbox frequently. I can;t tell if he's
>> playing or peeing a lot. If he's peeing, it's taking him longer than
>> usual and he's not producing much. I think he's playing, trying to pee
>> when there isn;t much to produce. Another stage of kittenhood or is it
>> time for a visit to the vet?
>>
>> Thanks

>You may want to have a vet check him for his in and out of the litter
>pan problem. As for putting his foot in the water dish - I think that
>is the way he is drinking. I had a cat who did that with my coffee cup
>- after it cooled down. She liked coffee. She never got over the
>habit.

My Sam has played in litter box since the day I took him in. When
smaller he user to lay in the litter box. Sometimes he would chase
his tail while in litter box and the litter would go everywhere. As
he has gotten older (Now about 4) he has let up on that.

As for his paw in the water he likes to drink from the toilet and has
a struggle to reach it so what he does is dip his paw in the water
then lick his paw. At times when he uses the water bowl because the
john is busy he occassionaly forget and does the same. Dips his paw
then licks it. I just have to make sure I keep the toilet flushed at
all times and not use any kind of cleaner in / on it !!

I have never seen a cat drink by dipping his paws and licking it off.
Something new to me!!

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Wendy
August 23rd 06, 08:23 PM
"The Polish-Kraut" > wrote in message

>>> Our 4-5 month old kitten has a new habit-- washing his paws in his
>>> water bowl. He does this frequently, especially after visiting his
>>> litterbox. I change his water frequently, since I think the litterbox
>>> sand could poison his water, but I'm not always around. I also got him
>>> a different water bowl but he still does it.
>>>
>>> Is this behavior ok? Is this a passing stage of kittenhood?
>>>
>>> He is also jumping in his litterbox frequently. I can;t tell if he's
>>> playing or peeing a lot. If he's peeing, it's taking him longer than
>>> usual and he's not producing much. I think he's playing, trying to pee
>>> when there isn;t much to produce. Another stage of kittenhood or is it
>>> time for a visit to the vet?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>

>>You may want to have a vet check him for his in and out of the litter
>>pan problem. As for putting his foot in the water dish - I think that
>>is the way he is drinking. I had a cat who did that with my coffee cup
>>- after it cooled down. She liked coffee. She never got over the
>>habit.
>

> My Sam has played in litter box since the day I took him in. When
> smaller he user to lay in the litter box. Sometimes he would chase
> his tail while in litter box and the litter would go everywhere. As
> he has gotten older (Now about 4) he has let up on that.
>
> As for his paw in the water he likes to drink from the toilet and has
> a struggle to reach it so what he does is dip his paw in the water
> then lick his paw. At times when he uses the water bowl because the
> john is busy he occassionaly forget and does the same. Dips his paw
> then licks it. I just have to make sure I keep the toilet flushed at
> all times and not use any kind of cleaner in / on it !!
>
> I have never seen a cat drink by dipping his paws and licking it off.
> Something new to me!!
>

> My furbabies
>
> http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

I recently had a foster kitty who would dip his paw in the water bowl and
then lick his paw.

I used to have a cat who would pick up a piece of kibble and eat it from his
paw rather than eating directly from the bowl. He made a bit of a mess with
it because he'd drop the food sometimes and then would go back for a fresh
piece. He had no 5 second rule. If it hit the floor he didn't eat it.

Ryan Robbins
August 23rd 06, 08:56 PM
"Buddy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> You may want to have a vet check him for his in and out of the litter
> pan problem. As for putting his foot in the water dish - I think that
> is the way he is drinking. I had a cat who did that with my coffee cup
> - after it cooled down. She liked coffee. She never got over the
> habit.

I concur. My family had a cat who never drank normally, she always splashed
the water in her dish and then scooped it into her paws and drank it that
way. It was funny, and I never got tired of watching.

The Cat Whisperer
August 23rd 06, 10:10 PM
many cats drink this way... it is a sign that the water may not be fresh
enough maybe?
I bought my cats an electric fountain type of water dish, it aerates the
water constantly and he never dipped his paw again.
I believe it is a sign that they are not thrilled with the water, or just
bored!

But since my fountain, they drink more and never dip a paw!

"hamilton" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Our 4-5 month old kitten has a new habit-- washing his paws in his
> water bowl. He does this frequently, especially after visiting his
> litterbox. I change his water frequently, since I think the litterbox
> sand could poison his water, but I'm not always around. I also got him
> a different water bowl but he still does it.
>
> Is this behavior ok? Is this a passing stage of kittenhood?
>
> He is also jumping in his litterbox frequently. I can;t tell if he's
> playing or peeing a lot. If he's peeing, it's taking him longer than
> usual and he's not producing much. I think he's playing, trying to pee
> when there isn;t much to produce. Another stage of kittenhood or is it
> time for a visit to the vet?
>
> Thanks

August 23rd 06, 11:12 PM
In article >,
says...

> >> Our 4-5 month old kitten has a new habit-- washing his paws in his
> >> water bowl. He does this frequently, especially after visiting his
> >> litterbox. I change his water frequently, since I think the litterbox
> >> sand could poison his water, but I'm not always around. I also got him
> >> a different water bowl but he still does it.
> >>
> >> Is this behavior ok? Is this a passing stage of kittenhood?
> >>
> >> He is also jumping in his litterbox frequently. I can;t tell if he's
> >> playing or peeing a lot. If he's peeing, it's taking him longer than
> >> usual and he's not producing much. I think he's playing, trying to pee
> >> when there isn;t much to produce. Another stage of kittenhood or is it
> >> time for a visit to the vet?
> >>
> >> Thanks
>

> >You may want to have a vet check him for his in and out of the litter
> >pan problem. As for putting his foot in the water dish - I think that
> >is the way he is drinking. I had a cat who did that with my coffee cup
> >- after it cooled down. She liked coffee. She never got over the
> >habit.
>

> My Sam has played in litter box since the day I took him in. When
> smaller he user to lay in the litter box. Sometimes he would chase
> his tail while in litter box and the litter would go everywhere. As
> he has gotten older (Now about 4) he has let up on that.
>
> As for his paw in the water he likes to drink from the toilet and has
> a struggle to reach it so what he does is dip his paw in the water
> then lick his paw. At times when he uses the water bowl because the
> john is busy he occassionaly forget and does the same. Dips his paw
> then licks it. I just have to make sure I keep the toilet flushed at
> all times and not use any kind of cleaner in / on it !!
>
> I have never seen a cat drink by dipping his paws and licking it off.
> Something new to me!!
>

> My furbabies
>
> http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Ever watch a cat try to get the residue out of an ice cream container?
Pretty amusing stuff. First it starts with the dipping of the paw but
that just won't do. Next my bright boy, Randy, sticks his head in the
pint container and it gets stuck until he figures out that he can bat it
off his head. I have yet to be able to capture a picture!

There isn't enough in there to cause him a problem but he goes for it
with gusto.

Outsider
August 30th 06, 02:16 AM
"Wendy" > wrote in
:

> I recently had a foster kitty who would dip his paw in the water bowl
> and then lick his paw.
>
> I used to have a cat who would pick up a piece of kibble and eat it
> from his paw rather than eating directly from the bowl. He made a bit
> of a mess with it because he'd drop the food sometimes and then would
> floor he didn't eat it.

Zak would pick up a kibble with one claw and then dip the nugget in the
water and then eat it. He, also, has no 5 second rule; on the floor is
"out of play". Wet or dry food does not matter.

Andy

Anonymous
August 30th 06, 07:03 AM
"Wendy" <wendypart> wrote in
:

> I recently had a foster kitty who would dip his paw in the water
bowl
> and then lick his paw.
>
> I used to have a cat who would pick up a piece of kibble and eat it
> from his paw rather than eating directly from the bowl. He made a
bit
> of a mess with it because he'd drop the food sometimes and then
would
> floor he didn't eat it.

Zak would pick up a kibble with one claw and then dip the nugget in
the
water and then eat it. He, also, has no 5 second rule; on the floor
is
"out of play". Wet or dry food does not matter.

Andy
Sent via http://Pets-99.com , http://AnimalForum.ws & http://AnimalBlog.org

Anonymous
August 30th 06, 07:03 AM