PDA

View Full Version : Giving fluids at home...

Kitkat
August 24th 06, 01:01 AM
First attempt...and I already screwed up cuz I was too nervous. First, I
had DH turn the drip on too soon and it started spurting everywhere,
getting Dudley all wet. doh!!!! Then, I got the needle in but it didnt
seem like it was in right or something because he was very squirmy and I
got super nervous and yanked it back out.

We're gonna try agian after dinner.

All suggestions and tips appreciated!
:)

Gail
August 24th 06, 01:34 AM
Check out this site
http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_giving_set.htm
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
et...
> First attempt...and I already screwed up cuz I was too nervous. First, I
> had DH turn the drip on too soon and it started spurting everywhere,
> getting Dudley all wet. doh!!!! Then, I got the needle in but it didnt
> seem like it was in right or something because he was very squirmy and I
> got super nervous and yanked it back out.
>
> We're gonna try agian after dinner.
>
> All suggestions and tips appreciated!
> :)

Kitkat
August 24th 06, 02:19 AM
Gail wrote:
> Check out this site
> http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_giving_set.htm

thanks! we're gonna give it a try here again in a few!

Gail
August 24th 06, 02:25 AM
I did this last year with my chronic renal failure cat. It takes a bit of
time to get the hang of it. You will, though.
Gail
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
m...
> Gail wrote:
>> Check out this site
>> http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_giving_set.htm
>
> thanks! we're gonna give it a try here again in a few!

Gail
August 24th 06, 02:27 AM
PS. I asked the vet if he would prescribe Valium. For me, not for the
cat......
Gail
"Gail" > wrote in message
link.net...
>I did this last year with my chronic renal failure cat. It takes a bit of
>time to get the hang of it. You will, though.
> Gail
> "Kitkat" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Gail wrote:
>>> Check out this site
>>> http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_giving_set.htm
>>
>> thanks! we're gonna give it a try here again in a few!

Kitkat
August 24th 06, 02:30 AM
Gail wrote:
> I did this last year with my chronic renal failure cat. It takes a bit of
> time to get the hang of it. You will, though.

Success!!!! I'm still totally nervous and we're even done! But he was a
good boy and I felt much better this time! Yay!

Thanks, friends!
Dudley and I (and DH!) appreciate it!

Kitkat
August 24th 06, 02:55 AM
Gail wrote:
> PS. I asked the vet if he would prescribe Valium. For me, not for the
> cat......
> Gail

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)
Dudley is resting nicely after his fluids. He leaked for a second
because I forgot to pinch the spot, but no biggie.

cybercat
August 24th 06, 03:21 AM
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
m...
> Gail wrote:
> > PS. I asked the vet if he would prescribe Valium. For me, not for the
> > cat......
> > Gail
>
> SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> :)
> Dudley is resting nicely after his fluids. He leaked for a second
> because I forgot to pinch the spot, but no biggie.

I know he feels better. Now, as for you ... have a glass of wine! I am about
to pour myself one. Good job, Pam.

Kitkat
August 24th 06, 03:40 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "Kitkat" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>Gail wrote:
>>
>>>PS. I asked the vet if he would prescribe Valium. For me, not for the
>>>cat......
>>>Gail
>>
>>SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>:)
>>Dudley is resting nicely after his fluids. He leaked for a second
>>because I forgot to pinch the spot, but no biggie.
>

> I know he feels better. Now, as for you ... have a glass of wine! I am about
> to pour myself one. Good job, Pam.

Hah. Sounds good but I'm still slaving over him. I'm heading out to try
and find the Fancy Feast stuff that he ate VORACIOUSLY last nite and
this morning. Gotta keep the ole boy eating any way possible! He just
turned his nose up at about 5 different things. He has eaten enough to
make me happy today but i'd be reallllly happy if he'd have one more
little snack for the night.

Maybe then I'll have a glass of wine.
Or slam my head with a frying pan. Either one.
;)

August 24th 06, 06:26 AM
Kitkat wrote:

> Hah. Sounds good but I'm still slaving over him. I'm heading out to try
> and find the Fancy Feast stuff that he ate VORACIOUSLY last nite and
> this morning. Gotta keep the ole boy eating any way possible! He just
> turned his nose up at about 5 different things. He has eaten enough to
> make me happy today but i'd be reallllly happy if he'd have one more
> little snack for the night.

Kira really likes the Fancy Feast too.

Since she has been sick, she has lost over 2 lbs. She has eaten some
foods okay, but no weight gain. Finally stopped losing, which is good
since she was down to skeleton. But finally, she is gaining. I've tried
5 flavors so far, and she loves them all. She has been eating 3 of the
3oz cans per day. It takes her a couple sittings, but she licks the
plates dry and sits there waiting for more. She is still skinny, but
her hips aren't sticking out so bad, her face has filled in a bit, and
her ribs aren't so pokey. And she doesn't feel like a feather when I
pick her up.

If you haven't already, grab a bunch of different flavors and see what
he likes the most. Kira likes the flakier kinds that fall apart the
most, but she eats all of them so far.

22brix
August 24th 06, 06:29 AM
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
> Gail wrote:
>> I did this last year with my chronic renal failure cat. It takes a bit of
>> time to get the hang of it. You will, though.
>
> Success!!!! I'm still totally nervous and we're even done! But he was a
> good boy and I felt much better this time! Yay!
>
> Thanks, friends!
> Dudley and I (and DH!) appreciate it!

I just started giving fluids to my crf cat--she sits in my lap and purrs!
Each time I've been more comfortable and Molly doesn't seem to mind a bit!
Hopefull Dudley will be that way, too.

Bonnie

C.J.
August 24th 06, 07:18 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Kitkat wrote:
>

> > Hah. Sounds good but I'm still slaving over him. I'm heading out to try
> > and find the Fancy Feast stuff that he ate VORACIOUSLY last nite and
> > this morning. Gotta keep the ole boy eating any way possible! He just
> > turned his nose up at about 5 different things. He has eaten enough to
> > make me happy today but i'd be reallllly happy if he'd have one more
> > little snack for the night.
> >
> Kira really likes the Fancy Feast too.
>
> Since she has been sick, she has lost over 2 lbs. She has eaten some
> foods okay, but no weight gain. Finally stopped losing, which is good
> since she was down to skeleton. But finally, she is gaining. I've tried
> 5 flavors so far, and she loves them all. She has been eating 3 of the
> 3oz cans per day. It takes her a couple sittings, but she licks the
> plates dry and sits there waiting for more. She is still skinny, but
> her hips aren't sticking out so bad, her face has filled in a bit, and
> her ribs aren't so pokey. And she doesn't feel like a feather when I
> pick her up.
>
> If you haven't already, grab a bunch of different flavors and see what
> he likes the most. Kira likes the flakier kinds that fall apart the
> most, but she eats all of them so far.

That's just great, Meghan. My girls still love the Chopped Grill Feast
the best.

Kitkat
August 24th 06, 01:11 PM
wrote:
> Kitkat wrote:
>

>>Hah. Sounds good but I'm still slaving over him. I'm heading out to try
>>and find the Fancy Feast stuff that he ate VORACIOUSLY last nite and
>>this morning. Gotta keep the ole boy eating any way possible! He just
>>turned his nose up at about 5 different things. He has eaten enough to
>>make me happy today but i'd be reallllly happy if he'd have one more
>>little snack for the night.
>>

> Kira really likes the Fancy Feast too.
>
> Since she has been sick, she has lost over 2 lbs. She has eaten some
> foods okay, but no weight gain. Finally stopped losing, which is good
> since she was down to skeleton. But finally, she is gaining. I've tried
> 5 flavors so far, and she loves them all. She has been eating 3 of the
> 3oz cans per day. It takes her a couple sittings, but she licks the
> plates dry and sits there waiting for more. She is still skinny, but
> her hips aren't sticking out so bad, her face has filled in a bit, and
> her ribs aren't so pokey. And she doesn't feel like a feather when I
> pick her up.
>
> If you haven't already, grab a bunch of different flavors and see what
> he likes the most. Kira likes the flakier kinds that fall apart the
> most, but she eats all of them so far.

He seems to REALLY like the "tender beef and chicken feast".
I think right now the mushiest stuff is best for him!

Good luck with Kira. It is brutal when they are sick!

August 26th 06, 02:31 AM
Kitkat wrote:
> First attempt...and I already screwed up cuz I was too nervous. First, I
> had DH turn the drip on too soon and it started spurting everywhere,
> getting Dudley all wet. doh!!!! Then, I got the needle in but it didnt
> seem like it was in right or something because he was very squirmy and I
> got super nervous and yanked it back out.
>
> We're gonna try agian after dinner.
>
> All suggestions and tips appreciated!
> :)

It can take a bit of practice to get good at it, IME. I did several
practices at the vet's first - either with the vet watching & guiding,
or with one of the vet techs, before I went solo.

I did it as a one-person operation, & my biggest problem at first was
feeling like I was dealing with spaghetti - the tubing, the clip, the
needle, the cap, the cat... all with only 2 hands. Eventually figured
a routine/sequence that worked. Then was doing fine, only to discover
that I could no longer get the needle in for some odd reason - felt
like I was hitting a wall instead of cat's skin. So... made a vet
appt. & asked my vet to watch me again & give me tips. She said that
lots of clients come back after a while, saying the same thing about
doing home sub-Qs - that they were doing fine, but then the needle was
refusing to slide in, for no apparent reason. Anyway, that refresher
session got me on a roll again.

Then, a few months latrer I was giving Debbie (the cat) her fluids out
on the screened porch one day, where she was sleeping on the floor,
right next to the screen. The needle went in easily & the fluids were
flowing really well. Too well. After maybe 75 - 100 mL had flowed
through, I realized that the needle had gone in one side of the tented
skin & right out the other side, & that all of the fluids were flowing
out the screen & down to the ground! ;-)

One thing's for sure - if you can learn to give fluids, then giving an
injection with a finer needle later on is an absolute piece of cake!
Near the end of her illness/CRF Debbie developed anemia & we tried
Procrit injections - which worked well for her. They were given with a
tiny needle - an absolute cinch to administer.

So... good luck - it's bound to get easier! Probably just need some
practice to feel confident.

Cathy

August 27th 06, 11:06 PM
Some more info about classes and pharmacotherapeutical treatment of
anaemia (anemia) and related medical conditions:
http://drugs-about.com/icd/d50-d53.html - Nutritional Anaemias -
Drugs-about.com - ICD-10

Rene S.
August 28th 06, 07:12 PM
Kitkat wrote:
> First attempt...and I already screwed up cuz I was too nervous. First, I
> had DH turn the drip on too soon and it started spurting everywhere,
> getting Dudley all wet. doh!!!! Then, I got the needle in but it didnt
> seem like it was in right or something because he was very squirmy and I
> got super nervous and yanked it back out.
>
> We're gonna try agian after dinner.
>
> All suggestions and tips appreciated!
> :)

Been there, done that! I found it helpful to place a towel on the spot
where kitty would sit, so they have something to grip onto. I also
warmed the fluids slightly by placing them in a warm container of
water.

Rene