PDA

View Full Version : First Heat

August 25th 06, 12:23 AM
I was just wondering if anyone can tell me about what age a female cat
usually goes in to heat. Would really like to have mine fixed before
she does that. Thanks for any help.

cybercat
August 25th 06, 12:28 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I was just wondering if anyone can tell me about what age a female cat
> usually goes in to heat. Would really like to have mine fixed before
> she does that. Thanks for any help.

Why not do it now?

Wendy
August 25th 06, 01:43 AM
Could be as early as 4-5 months.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I was just wondering if anyone can tell me about what age a female cat
> usually goes in to heat. Would really like to have mine fixed before
> she does that. Thanks for any help.

August 25th 06, 01:56 AM
wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone can tell me about what age a female cat
> usually goes in to heat. Would really like to have mine fixed before
> she does that. Thanks for any help.

The best time to spay is around 6 months

August 25th 06, 06:03 AM
I just moved to the area I am in and don't have a new vet, wasn't sure
at what age to have her fixed. Usually when I adopt a cat they are
already fixed.

cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I was just wondering if anyone can tell me about what age a female cat
> > usually goes in to heat. Would really like to have mine fixed before
> > she does that. Thanks for any help.
> >

> Why not do it now?

August 25th 06, 06:04 AM
Thank you for the info.

Wendy wrote:
> Could be as early as 4-5 months.
>

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I was just wondering if anyone can tell me about what age a female cat
> > usually goes in to heat. Would really like to have mine fixed before
> > she does that. Thanks for any help.

August 25th 06, 06:06 AM

> > I was just wondering if anyone can tell me about what age a female cat
> > usually goes in to heat. Would really like to have mine fixed before
> > she does that. Thanks for any help.
>
> The best time to spay is around 6 months

Wendy
August 25th 06, 11:56 AM
> wrote in message

>> I was just wondering if anyone can tell me about what age a female cat
>> usually goes in to heat. Would really like to have mine fixed before
>> she does that. Thanks for any help.
>
> The best time to spay is around 6 months

That's the age I normally get the girls spayed. However, my Tigger went into
heat at 5 months old and we had a really interesting weekend with her before
I could call the vet and set up the spay appointment. IMO 6 months for a
female is the oldest you'd want to wait. There is an SPCA locally that is
spaying and neutering when the kittens are 2 lbs.

yngver
August 25th 06, 07:54 PM
Wendy wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > wrote:
> >> I was just wondering if anyone can tell me about what age a female cat
> >> usually goes in to heat. Would really like to have mine fixed before
> >> she does that. Thanks for any help.
> >
> > The best time to spay is around 6 months
> >

> That's the age I normally get the girls spayed. However, my Tigger went into
> heat at 5 months old and we had a really interesting weekend with her before
> I could call the vet and set up the spay appointment. IMO 6 months for a
> female is the oldest you'd want to wait. There is an SPCA locally that is
> spaying and neutering when the kittens are 2 lbs.

There is considerable evidence that early spay/neuter is advantageous
and the kitten recovers more quickly than she/he would at an older age.
We had the same experience--planned to have our kitten spayed at six
months but she went into heat at five months. If we ever get another
kitten I think I would ask about early spay, perhaps at 3-4 months. I
agree, I would want to make sure a female is spayed by the time she is
six months old, and as I said, earlier is often better.
-yngver

Cheryl
August 26th 06, 02:28 AM
On Thu 24 Aug 2006 07:23:54p, wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com):

> I was just wondering if anyone can tell me about what age a
> female cat usually goes in to heat. Would really like to have
> mine fixed before she does that. Thanks for any help.

I'd always heard about 6 months, but some can be later, some can
be earlier. Even if the female goes into heat early (like my
Scarlett at less than 5 months) she can still drive a neutered
male crazy with her actions. Scarlett was spayed late because she
had a URI that kept coming back, and coming back. Even when she
was spayed, she developed an infection. She's fine now, but it was
hard for her for a while there.

You have to click to see how nuts she made my neutered boy when
she went into heat at 4-5 months but was still too sick to have an
operation yet. This shot is a crop from what I saw. He literally
jumped straight into the air when she wouldn't leave him alone.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shambondow/detail?.dir=1f98&.dnm=9190.jpg&.src=ph

--
Cheryl