PDA

View Full Version : Kitten is starting to pee outside the box

Sooo many cats
August 25th 06, 06:55 AM
I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and newest
addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside the
box, until now! none of my cats have ever had peeing problems, and all of a
sudden yester day i wake up to an almost perfectly clean cat box and my
littlelest one has peed on the floor near the wall next that is next to the
toilet, and she did it again today during the day while i was at work. I
clean out the cat box at least two times a day, usually once in the morning
and once in the evening, and have never had a problem! nothing has changed in
their lives they are all happy and healthy, they get table scrapps and there
is always food and water in there bowls. what is going on that could make her
suddenly start doing this?!?!?! HELP!!!

Matthew
August 25th 06, 07:50 AM
Could be a UTI that is usually the culprit when something like that
happens. Vet needs to check for one

"Sooo many cats" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and
>newest
> addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside
> the
> box, until now! none of my cats have ever had peeing problems, and all of
> sudden yester day i wake up to an almost perfectly clean cat box and my
> littlelest one has peed on the floor near the wall next that is next to
> the
> toilet, and she did it again today during the day while i was at work. I
> clean out the cat box at least two times a day, usually once in the
> morning
> and once in the evening, and have never had a problem! nothing has changed
> in
> their lives they are all happy and healthy, they get table scrapps and
> there
> is always food and water in there bowls. what is going on that could make
> her
> suddenly start doing this?!?!?! HELP!!!

August 25th 06, 10:23 AM
Sooo many cats wrote:
> I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and newest
> addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside the
> box, until now! none of my cats have ever had peeing problems, and all of a
> sudden yester day i wake up to an almost perfectly clean cat box and my
> littlelest one has peed on the floor near the wall next that is next to the
> toilet, and she did it again today during the day while i was at work.

Do you have one box for all four cats? Your older cats might not mind
the sharing, but your new addition may not be too fond of it, now that
she is getting mature. I would recommend adding at least one more box.
Also, is your kitten spayed yet? If no, I would say she is marking her
territory :-( Females can reproduce as early as five months, and she
would be born at the time of year where she would go into one heat
before autumn/winter hits. Get her spayed asap.

Good luck, Petra

Sandra Loosemore
August 25th 06, 03:31 PM
"Sooo many cats" <[email protected]> writes:

> I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and newest
> addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside the
> box, until now! [...] I
> clean out the cat box at least two times a day, usually once in the morning
> and once in the evening, and have never had a problem!

"The" cat box? You only have *one* box for *five* cats? Uh, sounds
like you *do* have a problem! It's usually recommended that you have at
least one box per cat. Some cats just don't like to share, or sometimes
one cat starts playing intimidation games and preventing the other(s) from
using the box. I also can't imagine how stinky a single box shared by 5
cats would get, even if you do scoop twice a day; your kitten may find it
offensive even if you don't.

-Sandra

Gail
August 25th 06, 03:43 PM
For 5 cats you need at least 5 litter boxes.
Gail
"Sandra Loosemore" > wrote in message
> "Sooo many cats" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and
>> newest
>> addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside
>> the
>> box, until now! [...] I
>> clean out the cat box at least two times a day, usually once in the
>> morning
>> and once in the evening, and have never had a problem!
>
> "The" cat box? You only have *one* box for *five* cats? Uh, sounds
> like you *do* have a problem! It's usually recommended that you have at
> least one box per cat. Some cats just don't like to share, or sometimes
> one cat starts playing intimidation games and preventing the other(s) from
> using the box. I also can't imagine how stinky a single box shared by 5
> cats would get, even if you do scoop twice a day; your kitten may find it
> offensive even if you don't.
>
> -Sandra

wazzumusicmajor via CatKB.com
August 25th 06, 04:14 PM
all the cats have been fixed and each was obtained when they were no older
than one month old. even the vet says that our cats are the picture of health
and happieness. we have a large cat box and have NEVER had odor problems...
when we have people over they don't even know that we have cats until one
hops on their lap....so i highly doubt that an untidy kitty box is the
problem. she has only done this twice in her life, and both times were this
week, even more shocking she has not gone OUTSIDE the box since the last time
and that was a few days ago.... could she be going through some kind of
kitten rebellion? or could it have been a fluke thing because she seems fine
now

Sandra Loosemore wrote:
>> I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and newest
>> addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside the
>> box, until now! [...] I
>> clean out the cat box at least two times a day, usually once in the morning
>> and once in the evening, and have never had a problem!
>
>"The" cat box? You only have *one* box for *five* cats? Uh, sounds
>like you *do* have a problem! It's usually recommended that you have at
>least one box per cat. Some cats just don't like to share, or sometimes
>one cat starts playing intimidation games and preventing the other(s) from
>using the box. I also can't imagine how stinky a single box shared by 5
>cats would get, even if you do scoop twice a day; your kitten may find it
>offensive even if you don't.
>
>-Sandra

Sandra Loosemore
August 25th 06, 04:32 PM
"wazzumusicmajor via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> writes:

> all the cats have been fixed and each was obtained when they were no older
> than one month old. even the vet says that our cats are the picture of health
> and happieness. we have a large cat box and have NEVER had odor problems...

You keep denying you have a problem, but the fact that your kitten is
peeing outside the box indicates that there *is* a problem now, even
if you've never had one before. Do you want to do something about it
or not? If so, the obvious first step is to put down a few more
litter boxes and see if the inappropriate elimination stops.

-Sandra the cynic

Gail
August 25th 06, 04:55 PM
YES, YOU NEED MORE LITTER BOXES. CATS SOMETIMES DEVELOP PROBLEMS EVEN IF
THEY DID NOT HAVE ONE IN THE PAST.
Gail
"Sandra Loosemore" > wrote in message
> "wazzumusicmajor via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> all the cats have been fixed and each was obtained when they were no
>> older
>> than one month old. even the vet says that our cats are the picture of
>> health
>> and happieness. we have a large cat box and have NEVER had odor
>> problems...
>
> You keep denying you have a problem, but the fact that your kitten is
> peeing outside the box indicates that there *is* a problem now, even
> if you've never had one before. Do you want to do something about it
> or not? If so, the obvious first step is to put down a few more
> litter boxes and see if the inappropriate elimination stops.
>
> -Sandra the cynic

Magic Mood JeepŠ
August 25th 06, 05:42 PM
In news:[email protected],
wazzumusicmajor via CatKB.com purred:
> all the cats have been fixed and each was obtained when they were no
> older than one month old. even the vet says that our cats are the
> picture of health and happieness. we have a large cat box and have
> NEVER had odor problems... when we have people over they don't even
> know that we have cats until one hops on their lap....so i highly
> doubt that an untidy kitty box is the problem. she has only done this
> twice in her life, and both times were this week, even more shocking
> she has not gone OUTSIDE the box since the last time and that was a
> few days ago.... could she be going through some kind of kitten
> rebellion? or could it have been a fluke thing because she seems fine
> now

Never had odor problems to *your* nose, maybe. To a cat's nose, which is
almost as sensitive as a dog's, it must reek.

Please stop trying to defend your lack of action to solve the problem, and
buy another litterbox, or four.

> Sandra Loosemore wrote:
>>> I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest
>>> and newest addition to our family is about 6 months old and has
>>> NEVER peed outside the box, until now! [...] I
>>> clean out the cat box at least two times a day, usually once in the
>>> morning and once in the evening, and have never had a problem!
>>
>> "The" cat box? You only have *one* box for *five* cats? Uh, sounds
>> like you *do* have a problem! It's usually recommended that you
>> have at least one box per cat. Some cats just don't like to share,
>> or sometimes
>> one cat starts playing intimidation games and preventing the
>> other(s) from using the box. I also can't imagine how stinky a
>> single box shared by 5
>> cats would get, even if you do scoop twice a day; your kitten may
>> find it offensive even if you don't.
>>
>> -Sandra

August 26th 06, 02:11 AM
Sooo many cats wrote:
> I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and newest
> addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside the
> box, until now! none of my cats have ever had peeing problems, and all of a
> sudden yester day i wake up to an almost perfectly clean cat box and my
> littlelest one has peed on the floor near the wall next that is next to the
> toilet, and she did it again today during the day while i was at work. I
> clean out the cat box at least two times a day, usually once in the morning
> and once in the evening, and have never had a problem! nothing has changed in
> their lives they are all happy and healthy, they get table scrapps and there
> is always food and water in there bowls. what is going on that could make her
> suddenly start doing this?!?!?! HELP!!!

If you have only one box for all five cats, it'd help to have at least
one or two more boxes. Either all in the same area, or in different
areas of the house.

But, this could also be a UTI problem - peeing outside the box is a
classic sign of an infection. That should be ruled out - or in - right
away. IOW, vet appt. time. You said that they're healthy, but peeing
outside the box may be the only symptom of a UTI that'd be evident. If
she does have a UTI, a round (or two) of an antibiotic will clear it
up.

Cathy

cybercat
August 26th 06, 04:12 AM
"Sooo many cats" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and
newest
> addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside
the
> box, until now! none of my cats have ever had peeing problems, and all of
> sudden yester day i wake up to an almost perfectly clean cat box

I am stunned at how good and long-suffering your cats are. With one box and
five cats, I would have expected at least one of them to poop on your bed,
in
your shoes, etc. by now. That has got to be really hard on them. I can just
see
the young one now. "WHAT? THIS is the only bathroom? Like hell. I'll just
MAKE
a new one."

Kelly Simmons via CatKB.com
August 27th 06, 04:43 AM
Sandra--

here is a suggestion....perhaps if you stop being soooooo rude and start
acting like perhaps you have an ounce of kindness, we might be able to
actually keep members on this site! i have 3 cats myself and have had
absolutly no problems, the VET has never told me to get each of them their
own box, and there are ways of going about keeping your house from ever
smelling! obviously you are too busy telling others what you think they are
doing wrong to realize that you are the picture of rude.

wazzumusicmajor--

i suggest, if it is still going on, call your vet, take the cat in, and go
from there make your decision on what your vet says, not from what "Sandra"
says!

Hope this helps,
Kelly

>Never had odor problems to *your* nose, maybe. To a cat's nose, which is
>almost as sensitive as a dog's, it must reek.
>
>Please stop trying to defend your lack of action to solve the problem, and
>buy another litterbox, or four.

>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>>>
>>> -Sandra

August 27th 06, 05:42 AM
"Kelly Simmons via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Sandra--
>
> here is a suggestion....perhaps if you stop being soooooo rude and start
> acting like perhaps you have an ounce of kindness, we might be able to
> actually keep members on this site! i have 3 cats myself and have had
> absolutly no problems, the VET has never told me to get each of them their
> own box, and there are ways of going about keeping your house from ever
> smelling! obviously you are too busy telling others what you think they
are
> doing wrong to realize that you are the picture of rude.

Hi Kelly. Rude is beside the point. Sandra's kindness is for the cats.
It is downright nasty to expect five cats to use one box. If etiquette is
your main concern, you have the wrong group. Try ASKING your vet
how many boxes you should have, for starters. A larger point is, once
a cat starts inappropriate elimination it is very hard to stop it. Much
better
to head it off by providing plenty of clean, appropriate places.

Sandra Loosemore
August 27th 06, 05:56 AM
"Kelly Simmons via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> writes:

> Sandra--
>
> here is a suggestion....perhaps if you stop being soooooo rude and start
> acting like perhaps you have an ounce of kindness, we might be able to
> actually keep members on this site!

Why are you addressing this remark to me? None of the text you quoted
with your message that you apparently found so rude was even written by
me. Do you go out of *your* way to insult other posters in this group?

-Sandra the cynic

Matthew
August 27th 06, 09:50 AM
I will lay odds and guarantee a winner that you have never ever asked
your vet how many boxes you should have for your cats you have 3 cats
that means 4 to 5 boxes are needed. You have had absolutely no problems
words spoke by so many before the [email protected] hits the fan.

If Sandra was rude damn I call that quaint do you want me ,cybercat,
Barry, Phil or L to show you the truth. I think I will leave it up to L or
Cybercat to show you the truth. It will be interesting.

"Kelly Simmons via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Sandra--
>
> here is a suggestion....perhaps if you stop being soooooo rude and start
> acting like perhaps you have an ounce of kindness, we might be able to
> actually keep members on this site! i have 3 cats myself and have had
> absolutly no problems, the VET has never told me to get each of them their
> own box, and there are ways of going about keeping your house from ever
> smelling! obviously you are too busy telling others what you think they
> are
> doing wrong to realize that you are the picture of rude.
>
> wazzumusicmajor--
>
> i suggest, if it is still going on, call your vet, take the cat in, and go
> from there make your decision on what your vet says, not from what
> "Sandra"
> says!
>
> Hope this helps,
> Kelly
>
>>Never had odor problems to *your* nose, maybe. To a cat's nose, which is
>>almost as sensitive as a dog's, it must reek.
>>
>>Please stop trying to defend your lack of action to solve the problem, and
>>buy another litterbox, or four.

>>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

---MIKE---
August 27th 06, 01:14 PM
Kelly, Sandra is correct. I have two cats and three litter boxes. The
days that I work, when I get home all three boxes have been used. One
box for five cats is outrageous.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

SD
August 27th 06, 03:40 PM
I would separate that kitten into another room/rooms and then give its own
liter box. If that works you solved your problem.

If not, yes definitely I would try going to the vet and insisting on a UTI
test. My cat never peed outside the liter box but then she started going to
the liter box very frequently. Then she peed on hubby's leg (tee hee) and
that was her way of telling us to bring her to the vet. She indeed had a
UTI.

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Sooo many cats" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>> I have five female cats ages 12, 11, 5, and 3 years, the youngest and
> newest
>> addition to our family is about 6 months old and has NEVER peed outside
> the
>> box, until now! none of my cats have ever had peeing problems, and all of
>> sudden yester day i wake up to an almost perfectly clean cat box
>
> I am stunned at how good and long-suffering your cats are. With one box
> and
> five cats, I would have expected at least one of them to poop on your bed,
> in
> your shoes, etc. by now. That has got to be really hard on them. I can
> just
> see
> the young one now. "WHAT? THIS is the only bathroom? Like hell. I'll just
> MAKE
> a new one."

August 27th 06, 03:52 PM
"Matthew" > wrote
> If Sandra was rude damn I call that quaint do you want me ,cybercat,
> Barry, Phil or L to show you the truth. I think I will leave it up to L
or
> Cybercat to show you the truth. It will be interesting.

hahaha, good point.

We are such thugs, Matthew. :)

Just kidding. I prefer to think of us as being "direct."

Cat proactive!

Rhonda
August 27th 06, 04:00 PM
I saw that too, Sandra. The words quoted were someone else's post with
your name attached.

It's not fair to be criticized for something you didn't even write.

Rhonda

Sandra Loosemore wrote:

> Why are you addressing this remark to me? None of the text you quoted
> with your message that you apparently found so rude was even written by
> me. Do you go out of *your* way to insult other posters in this group?
>
> -Sandra the cynic

Matthew
August 27th 06, 07:17 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote
>> If Sandra was rude damn I call that quaint do you want me ,cybercat,
>> Barry, Phil or L to show you the truth. I think I will leave it up to L
> or
>> Cybercat to show you the truth. It will be interesting.
>>

> hahaha, good point.
>
> We are such thugs, Matthew. :)
>
> Just kidding. I prefer to think of us as being "direct."
>
> Cat proactive!

Naw you direct you NO you got to be kidding. ;)

I always call it as I see it. IMO If the truth hurts time for to go play
in traffic blindfolded