PDA

View Full Version : Dudley's relapse...


Kitkat
August 26th 06, 07:41 PM
Well, it sure seemed like Dudley was doing pretty well. Yesterday he had
started to do some things that seemed "normal". He was hopping up on the
couch and onto my chair. He was walking with a purpose again...hard to
explain...but there is something about his little strut that screams "I
have important things to do!"

This morning, he ate very little and seemed pretty uncomfy. Plus, he
hasn't been pooping still and he was definitely looking more jaundiced.
So, I called the vet because my gut instinct was to take him in.

In the car on the way there, he vomited. :(

We have him back on all meds, including the pain med (hadnt had meds
other than fluids and his steroid since weds).

He's home now and we have enough injectable meds to get us through until
Monday.

I think we may really be at the end here, though. I can't stand the
thought of much more torture. We are going to see how the next few days
go...

Please purr for Dudley and for Tim and me to have the strength to make
all the right decisions.

We love our boy SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much and the thought of him suffering
is breaking my heart. But saying good bye breaks it too. Looks like
either way my heart is going to be suffering...so my priority is to have
him suffer the least amount possible.

Figures that I start back at teaching Monday. :)

so sad...

Gail
August 26th 06, 07:50 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Dudley. I have also been through
this with a CRF cat......
Gail
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
. ..
> Well, it sure seemed like Dudley was doing pretty well. Yesterday he had
> started to do some things that seemed "normal". He was hopping up on the
> couch and onto my chair. He was walking with a purpose again...hard to
> explain...but there is something about his little strut that screams "I
> have important things to do!"
>
> This morning, he ate very little and seemed pretty uncomfy. Plus, he
> hasn't been pooping still and he was definitely looking more jaundiced.
> So, I called the vet because my gut instinct was to take him in.
>
> In the car on the way there, he vomited. :(
>
> We have him back on all meds, including the pain med (hadnt had meds other
> than fluids and his steroid since weds).
>
> He's home now and we have enough injectable meds to get us through until
> Monday.
>
> I think we may really be at the end here, though. I can't stand the
> thought of much more torture. We are going to see how the next few days
> go...
>
> Please purr for Dudley and for Tim and me to have the strength to make all
> the right decisions.
>
> We love our boy SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much and the thought of him suffering
> is breaking my heart. But saying good bye breaks it too. Looks like either
> way my heart is going to be suffering...so my priority is to have him
> suffer the least amount possible.
>
> Figures that I start back at teaching Monday. :)
>
> so sad...

Kitkat
August 26th 06, 08:00 PM
Gail wrote:
> My thoughts and prayers are with you and Dudley. I have also been through
> this with a CRF cat......
> Gail


Thanks Gail.

This is my first time dealing with this kind of thing. My cat when I was
a little girl had to be PTS while I was away at camp and I was only 8
years old. It broke my heart then and I wasnt even around for it.

sigh...

:::still hoping for that magical turn around:::

cybercat
August 26th 06, 08:57 PM
"Kitkat" > wrote:>
> Please purr for Dudley and for Tim and me to have the strength to make
> all the right decisions.
>
> We love our boy SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much and the thought of him suffering
> is breaking my heart. But saying good bye breaks it too. Looks like
> either way my heart is going to be suffering...so my priority is to have
> him suffer the least amount possible.
>
> Figures that I start back at teaching Monday. :)
>
> so sad...

Oh, Pam. My heart goes out to you. I love Dudley too, even if from afar.
He has captured a lot of hearts. I really hope he can recover and enjoy
some more time with you. I cannot imagine any cat has ever been loved
more than you love and Tim love Duds. Don't worry, just follow your heart
about when to ease his suffering. You have a good heart and a good mind
and you know your boy. He is in good hands, either way.

Kitkat
August 26th 06, 09:38 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Kitkat" > wrote:>
>
>>Please purr for Dudley and for Tim and me to have the strength to make
>>all the right decisions.
>>
>>We love our boy SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much and the thought of him suffering
>>is breaking my heart. But saying good bye breaks it too. Looks like
>>either way my heart is going to be suffering...so my priority is to have
>>him suffer the least amount possible.
>>
>>Figures that I start back at teaching Monday. :)
>>
>>so sad...
>
>
> Oh, Pam. My heart goes out to you. I love Dudley too, even if from afar.
> He has captured a lot of hearts. I really hope he can recover and enjoy
> some more time with you. I cannot imagine any cat has ever been loved
> more than you love and Tim love Duds. Don't worry, just follow your heart
> about when to ease his suffering. You have a good heart and a good mind
> and you know your boy. He is in good hands, either way.
>
>
I've only seen Tim cry once...until today. This is really difficult and
I think we both wish he would just go to sleep peacefully and not leave
the decision to us. At least, right now, he is sleeping and *seems* to
be comfortable. In the back of my mind, I keep remembering how many
times I have read how stoic they can be. So, I fear that he is
miserable...but quiet about it. Tim and I did discuss the possibility of
having him euthanized at home when the time comes. We are going to ask
our vet if she does that sort of thing or if she knows of a vet that
does. He is happiest and most comfortable here. We know he trusts us and
to have him go feeling as comfortable as possible would be really great
in the grand scheme of things.

I hope this is not what happens, but my optimism is waning.

Thanks, Nancy, and all of you. I am really grateful to have this group
to come to for advice and just to vent.

Pam

cybercat
August 26th 06, 10:27 PM
"Kitkat" > wrote >

>I fear that he is
> miserable...but quiet about it. Tim and I did discuss the possibility of
> having him euthanized at home when the time comes. We are going to ask
> our vet if she does that sort of thing or if she knows of a vet that
> does. He is happiest and most comfortable here. We know he trusts us and
> to have him go feeling as comfortable as possible would be really great
> in the grand scheme of things.

Pam, I did this with my 20-year old. My vet came with a tech and ..
right on my bed, where she slept. She hardly saw it coming, and she
died in my arms. They did not charge anything extra so I sent the
office a card and $50 as a gift, for lunch for the office or something.
This is the best way, because you don't have the anguish of scaring
him on top of losing him. I am so sorry, my friend. I hope it is not
time, but with the jaundice is seems it might be. Give Tim a hug
for me. Very few people would have taken in an old, blind, deaf
cat. It just chokes me up.

Buddy
August 27th 06, 01:57 AM
My experience only - when it is time - you know. When it is time, you
can take your kitty to the vet and he/she doesn't really realize. They
go quietly when it is time. I have heard horror stories about it being
done whe it isn't time. My kitties have always gone as if they have
fallen asleep. So, be careful about the vet and about not doing it too
son=on, especially if you are going to stay with your kitty [which I
always do]
cybercat wrote:
> "Kitkat" > wrote >
>
> >I fear that he is
> > miserable...but quiet about it. Tim and I did discuss the possibility of
> > having him euthanized at home when the time comes. We are going to ask
> > our vet if she does that sort of thing or if she knows of a vet that
> > does. He is happiest and most comfortable here. We know he trusts us and
> > to have him go feeling as comfortable as possible would be really great
> > in the grand scheme of things.
>
> Pam, I did this with my 20-year old. My vet came with a tech and ..
> right on my bed, where she slept. She hardly saw it coming, and she
> died in my arms. They did not charge anything extra so I sent the
> office a card and $50 as a gift, for lunch for the office or something.
> This is the best way, because you don't have the anguish of scaring
> him on top of losing him. I am so sorry, my friend. I hope it is not
> time, but with the jaundice is seems it might be. Give Tim a hug
> for me. Very few people would have taken in an old, blind, deaf
> cat. It just chokes me up.

Rhonda
August 27th 06, 04:02 PM
I'm sorry about Dudley. I never fully appreciated seeing a cat poop
until this summer. I know what a nightmare it is when they stop.

I hope Dudley is better today -- that he rallies and is starting to do
cat things again.

Take care,

Rhonda

Kitkat wrote:
> Well, it sure seemed like Dudley was doing pretty well. Yesterday he had
> started to do some things that seemed "normal". He was hopping up on the
> couch and onto my chair. He was walking with a purpose again...hard to
> explain...but there is something about his little strut that screams "I
> have important things to do!"
>
> This morning, he ate very little and seemed pretty uncomfy. Plus, he
> hasn't been pooping still and he was definitely looking more jaundiced.
> So, I called the vet because my gut instinct was to take him in.
>
> In the car on the way there, he vomited. :(

cybercat
August 27th 06, 04:17 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote :
>
> I hope Dudley is better today -- that he rallies and is starting to do
cat things again.
>

Me too, I can't get the poor little guy out of my mind. He is a special boy.

Kitkat
August 27th 06, 07:58 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote :
>
>>I hope Dudley is better today -- that he rallies and is starting to do
>
> cat things again.
>
>
> Me too, I can't get the poor little guy out of my mind. He is a special boy.
>
>

Well, Duds is resting comfortably (so it seems) after he just got all of
his injections. My house is now a mini-vet clinic. We hate seeing him
doped up on pain killers, but I would rather him be spaced out and feel
comfortable!!! It's tough and I'm not sure what the outcome will be in
the end. But, we remain hopeful.

:)
Pam

cybercat
August 27th 06, 08:37 PM
"Kitkat" > wrote:
>
> Well, Duds is resting comfortably (so it seems) after he just got all of
> his injections. My house is now a mini-vet clinic. We hate seeing him
> doped up on pain killers, but I would rather him be spaced out and feel
> comfortable!!! It's tough and I'm not sure what the outcome will be in
> the end. But, we remain hopeful.
>

Thanks for the report, Pam. I hope tomorrow is a great first day of school
for you, and that Jasperduds has recovered his "strut" by the time you
get home!

Kitkat
August 27th 06, 09:00 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Kitkat" > wrote:
>
>>Well, Duds is resting comfortably (so it seems) after he just got all of
>>his injections. My house is now a mini-vet clinic. We hate seeing him
>>doped up on pain killers, but I would rather him be spaced out and feel
>>comfortable!!! It's tough and I'm not sure what the outcome will be in
>>the end. But, we remain hopeful.
>>
>
>
> Thanks for the report, Pam. I hope tomorrow is a great first day of school
> for you, and that Jasperduds has recovered his "strut" by the time you
> get home!
>
>

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope he is strutting around
too. That would be awesome. There is something hilarious and wonderful
about a deaf and blind cat who marches around with such a purpose. We
are hoping hoping hoping!!!!

:)