PDA

View Full Version : Al died today

mdsu
August 28th 06, 10:51 PM
Al, my orange tabby (4 white paws and chest), who I adopted from an Ohio
shelter 14 years ago on August 17, died today. He had lung cancer. I
held him as the vet euthanized him. It was peaceful and quick. The vet
left me alone with Al for a few minutes afterwards and I cried like a
baby. I miss him so much! He was the most gentle little guy I have ever
known. The vet's husband, who was Al's first vet, called to tell me how
sorry he was. He said that to this day he always thinks of Al whenever
he sees an orange cat.

This day is especially tough as I live alone (divorced). Putting Al down
was harder than my divorce because unlike my ex-wife, I never stopped
loving Al.

At least Al's suffering is over.

Sadly,
Rich

August 28th 06, 11:01 PM
In article >,
mdsu > wrote:

> Al, my orange tabby (4 white paws and chest), who I adopted from an Ohio
> shelter 14 years ago on August 17, died today. He had lung cancer. I
> held him as the vet euthanized him. It was peaceful and quick. The vet
> left me alone with Al for a few minutes afterwards and I cried like a
> baby. I miss him so much! He was the most gentle little guy I have ever
> known. The vet's husband, who was Al's first vet, called to tell me how
> sorry he was. He said that to this day he always thinks of Al whenever
> he sees an orange cat.
>
> This day is especially tough as I live alone (divorced). Putting Al down
> was harder than my divorce because unlike my ex-wife, I never stopped
> loving Al.
>
> At least Al's suffering is over.
>
> Sadly,
> Rich

I don't know you or Al, but I know your pain. I am so sorry for your
loss. Al lives on in your heart. As long as you live, Al lives.

cybercat
August 28th 06, 11:34 PM
"mdsu" > wrote in message
> Al, my orange tabby (4 white paws and chest), who I adopted from an Ohio
> shelter 14 years ago on August 17, died today.

I am so sorry about Al, Rich. You gave him a good life, and I know it is
hard to lose him. When you have healed a little in time, maybe you could
adopt one or two of the many kitties who need homes. They won't be Al but
they are all special in their own way, and you sound like you have a lot to
give to a kitty who needs a home.

Matthew
August 28th 06, 11:36 PM
{{{{{{{{RICH}}}}}}}}

<Tears>

"mdsu" > wrote in message
> Al, my orange tabby (4 white paws and chest), who I adopted from an Ohio
> shelter 14 years ago on August 17, died today. He had lung cancer. I held
> him as the vet euthanized him. It was peaceful and quick. The vet left me
> alone with Al for a few minutes afterwards and I cried like a baby. I miss
> him so much! He was the most gentle little guy I have ever known. The
> vet's husband, who was Al's first vet, called to tell me how sorry he was.
> He said that to this day he always thinks of Al whenever he sees an orange
> cat.
>
> This day is especially tough as I live alone (divorced). Putting Al down
> was harder than my divorce because unlike my ex-wife, I never stopped
> loving Al.
>
> At least Al's suffering is over.
>
> Sadly,
> Rich

Buddy
August 29th 06, 01:29 AM
I am really sorry for your loss. It is really hard losing a kitty. I
haven't heard about kitties getting lung cancer before. Can you
enlighten us?

mdsu wrote:
> Al, my orange tabby (4 white paws and chest), who I adopted from an Ohio
> shelter 14 years ago on August 17, died today. He had lung cancer. I
> held him as the vet euthanized him. It was peaceful and quick. The vet
> left me alone with Al for a few minutes afterwards and I cried like a
> baby. I miss him so much! He was the most gentle little guy I have ever
> known. The vet's husband, who was Al's first vet, called to tell me how
> sorry he was. He said that to this day he always thinks of Al whenever
> he sees an orange cat.
>
> This day is especially tough as I live alone (divorced). Putting Al down
> was harder than my divorce because unlike my ex-wife, I never stopped
> loving Al.
>
> At least Al's suffering is over.
>
> Sadly,
> Rich

-L.
August 29th 06, 02:09 AM
mdsu wrote:
> Al, my orange tabby (4 white paws and chest), who I adopted from an Ohio
> shelter 14 years ago on August 17, died today. He had lung cancer. I
> held him as the vet euthanized him. It was peaceful and quick. The vet
> left me alone with Al for a few minutes afterwards and I cried like a
> baby. I miss him so much! He was the most gentle little guy I have ever
> known. The vet's husband, who was Al's first vet, called to tell me how
> sorry he was. He said that to this day he always thinks of Al whenever
> he sees an orange cat.
>
> This day is especially tough as I live alone (divorced). Putting Al down
> was harder than my divorce because unlike my ex-wife, I never stopped
> loving Al.
>
> At least Al's suffering is over.
>
> Sadly,
> Rich

Oh Rich, I am so, so sorry. The love you felt for Al was so apparent
in your posts. May you find some peace in the days and weeks to come.

-Lyn

Candace
August 29th 06, 03:25 AM
mdsu wrote:

> At least Al's suffering is over.
>
> Sadly,
> Rich

Rich, I'm very sorry about Al. It sounds as though he had a wonderful
life and I'm sure you enriched his as he did yours.

My condolences. Al might send anohter little kitty your way, you know.

Candace

John Ross Mc Master
August 29th 06, 03:36 AM
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:51:57 -0400, mdsu > wrote:

>Al, my orange tabby (4 white paws and chest), who I adopted from an Ohio
> shelter 14 years ago on August 17, died today. He had lung cancer. I
>held him as the vet euthanized him. It was peaceful and quick. The vet
>left me alone with Al for a few minutes afterwards and I cried like a
>baby. I miss him so much! He was the most gentle little guy I have ever
>known. The vet's husband, who was Al's first vet, called to tell me how
>sorry he was. He said that to this day he always thinks of Al whenever
>he sees an orange cat.
>
>This day is especially tough as I live alone (divorced). Putting Al down
>was harder than my divorce because unlike my ex-wife, I never stopped
>loving Al.
>
>At least Al's suffering is over.
>
>Sadly,
>Rich

Love and purrs from Cinder in your time of need. Al is fine in Heaven,
waiting for you.
http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=140147

August 29th 06, 03:58 AM
In article >,
says...
> Al, my orange tabby (4 white paws and chest), who I adopted from an Ohio
> shelter 14 years ago on August 17, died today. He had lung cancer. I
> held him as the vet euthanized him. It was peaceful and quick. The vet
> left me alone with Al for a few minutes afterwards and I cried like a
> baby. I miss him so much! He was the most gentle little guy I have ever
> known. The vet's husband, who was Al's first vet, called to tell me how
> sorry he was. He said that to this day he always thinks of Al whenever
> he sees an orange cat.
>
> This day is especially tough as I live alone (divorced). Putting Al down
> was harder than my divorce because unlike my ex-wife, I never stopped
> loving Al.
>
> At least Al's suffering is over.
>
> Sadly,
> Rich

Rich,

I thought it would be easier on me to end Cosimo's suffering having him
euthanized. I held him just after they gave him the sedative and cried
like a baby. I loved that cat. I was going through a disc I'd burned of
my old pictures and found one of him which must have been taken a month
or two after we'd gotten him home. He was still a fairly skinny cat
then.

My thoughts are with you. It's always tought to lose a close friend.

blkcatgal
August 29th 06, 04:29 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Al. I hope the joy he brought you over the
years helps you through this difficult time.

Sue
"mdsu" > wrote in message
> Al, my orange tabby (4 white paws and chest), who I adopted from an Ohio
> shelter 14 years ago on August 17, died today. He had lung cancer. I held
> him as the vet euthanized him. It was peaceful and quick. The vet left me
> alone with Al for a few minutes afterwards and I cried like a baby. I miss
> him so much! He was the most gentle little guy I have ever known. The
> vet's husband, who was Al's first vet, called to tell me how sorry he was.
> He said that to this day he always thinks of Al whenever he sees an orange
> cat.
>
> This day is especially tough as I live alone (divorced). Putting Al down
> was harder than my divorce because unlike my ex-wife, I never stopped
> loving Al.
>
> At least Al's suffering is over.
>
> Sadly,
> Rich

mdsu
August 29th 06, 09:49 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind words. It helps a lot!

Buddy asked about Al's lung cancer. It actually was lung cancer as
opposed to feline leukemia. Apparently it's not too common for animals
to get lung cancer. That said, I chatted online with someone last night
whose dog recently died of the same thing. Your guess is as good as mine
as to how Al developed lung cancer. He did have asthma, but I doubt the
two illnesses were related. Maybe I have a a lot of radon in my
apartment. I just don't know.

When I returned home from a business trip last June, I noticed Al was
limping slightly. I attributed it to arthritis and gave it a few weeks
to see if it would clear up. It didn't. The limp got worse. So I took Al
to the vet for x-rays of his front legs. Nothing noticeable there, but
the x-rays caught part of Al's lungs. And the radiologist was convinced
he saw a tumor. A full chest x-ray confirmed the diagnosis of lung
cancer. My vet told me that with lung cancer it is not uncommon for it
to spread to the limbs, thereby presenting itself as lameness.

I allowed the vet to perform a necropsy on Al. Tissue samples were
taken. They will be sent to a research lab where work is being done on
improved treatments and medicines for animals. That thought gives me
some comfort. And the vet called with the post-mortem results. The
cancer had spread a lot. Among other things, there was a mass in Al's
right front leg, and that explains his limp. It definitely was time for
me to let Al go.

I have no regrets about my decision to put Al down. It just hurts a lot
not having him with me at home. I keep expect him to come into my
bedroom and awaken me at some odd hour, like now.

Al used to play fetch when he was in his prime. As a graduate student in
Ohio, I lived in a townhouse. Al and I use to play a game where I would
throw a ball up the stairs and Al would fly up the stairs after the
ball. He would bring it in his mouth back to the top of the stairs, drop
the ball, and kick it down to me. I then threw the ball up over his
head, and we kept on like that for a while. Other times, Al would leave
dead mice on the stairs. I always praised him by saying "GOOD BOY!" Al
was a very good hunter. Fortunately, however, there weren't many mice.

After a little time has passed and I am ready, I will definitely get
another cat. Maybe two. And I will get adult cats from a shelter. They
seem to be the ones most in need. Al was 1-2 yo when I got him from an
Ohio shelter in 1992. But whatever cat(s) I do eventually get, it (they)
won't be orange tabby(s). Al broke that mold. Goodbye little guy. I will
always love and remember you.

Rich

August 29th 06, 05:23 PM
mdsu wrote:
> Al, my orange tabby (4 white paws and chest), who I adopted from an Ohio
> shelter 14 years ago on August 17, died today. He had lung cancer. I
> held him as the vet euthanized him. It was peaceful and quick. The vet
> left me alone with Al for a few minutes afterwards and I cried like a
> baby. I miss him so much! He was the most gentle little guy I have ever
> known. The vet's husband, who was Al's first vet, called to tell me how
> sorry he was. He said that to this day he always thinks of Al whenever
> he sees an orange cat.
>
> This day is especially tough as I live alone (divorced). Putting Al down
> was harder than my divorce because unlike my ex-wife, I never stopped
> loving Al.
>
> At least Al's suffering is over.
>
> Sadly,
> Rich

I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our beloved, Tribbles" to lung
cancer six years ago. We would give anything to have her back. I know
you will never stop loving him.

-L.
August 29th 06, 05:48 PM
mdsu wrote:

> After a little time has passed and I am ready, I will definitely get
> another cat. Maybe two. And I will get adult cats from a shelter. They
> seem to be the ones most in need. Al was 1-2 yo when I got him from an
> Ohio shelter in 1992. But whatever cat(s) I do eventually get, it (they)
> won't be orange tabby(s). Al broke that mold. Goodbye little guy. I will
> always love and remember you.
>
> Rich

Awww, Rich - your post brought tears to my eyes. My advice is "Never
say never". I never thought I'd get anothert black cat after my
beloved Pookey died , but when I found a little black rascal poking his
paws out from the bars of the cage at the HS, looking so pitiful and
needing me so badly, I caved. That's my beloved Peewee who has done
the memory of Pookey proud.

-L.

Barb
September 1st 06, 04:33 AM
Sorry, Rich. Al was lucky to have you. Our cats have much shorter life
spans than we do so that we can care for them their whole lives. But it
sure leaves us very sad sometimes.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

IBen Getiner
September 1st 06, 01:46 PM
mdsu wrote:
> Al, my orange tabby (4 white paws and chest), who I adopted from an Ohio
> shelter 14 years ago on August 17, died today. He had lung cancer. I
> held him as the vet euthanized him. It was peaceful and quick. The vet
> left me alone with Al for a few minutes afterwards and I cried like a
> baby. I miss him so much! He was the most gentle little guy I have ever
> known. The vet's husband, who was Al's first vet, called to tell me how
> sorry he was. He said that to this day he always thinks of Al whenever
> he sees an orange cat.

Yes, Rick.... I know just how you feel. We've been taking care of the
neighborhood stray here for going on 11 years. She was a funny cute
little girl-kitty I named Marilyn (because she looked so ****ing
ditzy... just like Marilyn Monroe in the face). She was so gentle and
feminine. I fed her by nite and the wife did by day. I would often
stand guard out on the porch while she ate so the other neighborhood
strays would stay away, and she would always look to me as she was
eating... making sure I was still there, so she could nourish herself
without fear of having to flee. She would meet me at the door of my car
every nite when I arrived home, crying and eager to have her dinner.
She never really belonged to us, though. We kept her up to date on her
shots and so-forth, mainly because we knew nobody else would. Tried in
vain to bring her inside once, but she was a free spirit and didn't
like it. Well, she went missing for a few days last month. She'd done
this before so I wasn't that concerned, but the wife said she thought
this might be the end. She was right. While heading out to go to work,
I discovered her lifeless little corpse under my car. She had returned
to the one place where she felt most secure... near the driver's door
of my vehicle. Very flattering, actually.

> This day is especially tough as I live alone (divorced). Putting Al down
> was harder than my divorce because unlike my ex-wife, I never stopped
> loving Al.

Do you think you ever loved her to begin with...?

> At least Al's suffering is over.
>
> Sadly,
> Rich

That's one way to look at it. In fact, that's the only way to look at
something as profound as death.

IBen

September 1st 06, 02:18 PM
IBen Getiner wrote:
> I would often stand guard out on the porch while she ate so the other neighborhood
> strays would stay away

Tell the neighbors in your trailer park to spay their catz...

--
----------

Mr. J Y÷ung

mdsu
September 3rd 06, 03:29 AM
Judith Latham wrote:
> In article >,
> mdsu > wrote:
>> Thank you all so much for your kind words. It helps a lot!
>
>> Buddy asked about Al's lung cancer. It actually was lung cancer as
>> opposed to feline leukemia. Apparently it's not too common for animals
>> to get lung cancer. That said, I chatted online with someone last night
>> whose dog recently died of the same thing. Your guess is as good as mine
>> as to how Al developed lung cancer. He did have asthma, but I doubt the
>> two illnesses were related. Maybe I have a a lot of radon in my
>> apartment. I just don't know.
>
> Snipped....
>
>> After a little time has passed and I am ready, I will definitely get
>> another cat. Maybe two. And I will get adult cats from a shelter. They
>> seem to be the ones most in need. Al was 1-2 yo when I got him from an
>> Ohio shelter in 1992. But whatever cat(s) I do eventually get, it (they)
>> won't be orange tabby(s). Al broke that mold. Goodbye little guy. I will
>> always love and remember you.
>
>> Rich
>

> I usually just lurk on this newsgroup so you won't know of me but your
> post touched me to reply. I know exactly how you feel. It hurts so much
> even though you did the right thing.
>
> I lost my cat Sophie 15 months ago and she too was very, very gentle.
> She used to sleep beside my pillow and I still leave that space. It has
> taken me until now to even think of getting another puss but like you I
> will only get a rescue cat. (Don't tell anyone but I sleep with her photo
> under my pillow)

I won't tell. :-)

> I wish I could help your hurt but your happy memories of Al will
> eventually help.
>
> I can't send you purrs but I send my deepest good wishes and thoughts.
>
> Judith

Thank you very much for your very nice note. I do have a lot of nice
memories and a lot of great pictures of Al. And today I received a
letter from the director of the hospital where Al received his care.
They will donate $219 to an organization that assists people of limited
means with their veterinary bills. And Al's current and former vets
(wife and husband) sent me a condolence card. I've gotten a lot of
support, here and elsewhere. It helps a lot.

Rich

Anonymous
September 3rd 06, 07:04 AM
Judith Latham wrote:
> In article <yOadnZgtK8swYm7ZnZ2dnUVZ_tidnZ2d>,
> mdsu <mdsu> wrote:
> Thank you all so much for your kind words. It helps a lot!
>
> Buddy asked about Al's lung cancer. It actually was lung cancer as
> opposed to feline leukemia. Apparently it's not too common for
animals
> to get lung cancer. That said, I chatted online with someone last
night
> whose dog recently died of the same thing. Your guess is as good as
mine
> as to how Al developed lung cancer. He did have asthma, but I doubt
the
> two illnesses were related. Maybe I have a a lot of radon in my
> apartment. I just don't know.
>
> Snipped....
>
> After a little time has passed and I am ready, I will definitely get
> another cat. Maybe two. And I will get adult cats from a shelter.
They
> seem to be the ones most in need. Al was 1-2 yo when I got him from
an
> Ohio shelter in 1992. But whatever cat(s) I do eventually get, it
(they)
> won't be orange tabby(s). Al broke that mold. Goodbye little guy. I
will
> always love and remember you.
>
> Rich
>

> I usually just lurk on this newsgroup so you won't know of me but
your
> post touched me to reply. I know exactly how you feel. It hurts so
much
> even though you did the right thing.
>
> I lost my cat Sophie 15 months ago and she too was very, very
gentle.
> She used to sleep beside my pillow and I still leave that space. It
has
> taken me until now to even think of getting another puss but like
you I
> will only get a rescue cat. (Don't tell anyone but I sleep with her
photo
> under my pillow)

I won't tell. :-)

> I wish I could help your hurt but your happy memories of Al will
> eventually help.
>
> I can't send you purrs but I send my deepest good wishes and
thoughts.

> Judith

Thank you very much for your very nice note. I do have a lot of nice
memories and a lot of great pictures of Al. And today I received a
letter from the director of the hospital where Al received his care.
They will donate $219 to an organization that assists people of
limited
means with their veterinary bills. And Al's current and former vets
(wife and husband) sent me a condolence card. I've gotten a lot of
support, here and elsewhere. It helps a lot.

Rich
Sent via http://Pets-99.com , http://AnimalForum.ws & http://AnimalBlog.org

Anonymous
September 3rd 06, 07:04 AM