PDA

View Full Version : Fur Balls

machine
August 30th 06, 12:21 PM
Hi there,

I have a one year old cat that seems to produce me a fairly large furball at
least once a week!! I have tried grooming him more (as much as he will let
me) and I have tried a tube of some stuff that is meant to help!! But still
no joy!!

I don't really mind when he does it on the woodern floor or the kitchen lino
but when he keeps doing it on my carpet its a bit annoying!! and messy to
say the least!

Any ideas? I am from the UK.

Thanks
Jamie

cybercat
August 30th 06, 03:16 PM
"machine" > wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have a one year old cat that seems to produce me a fairly large furball
at
> least once a week!! I have tried grooming him more (as much as he will let
> me) and I have tried a tube of some stuff that is meant to help!! But
still
> no joy!!
>
> I don't really mind when he does it on the woodern floor or the kitchen
lino
> but when he keeps doing it on my carpet its a bit annoying!! and messy to
> say the least!

Is he long-haired? In any case, if you brush him that means less fuel for
hair balls!

machine
August 30th 06, 03:59 PM
Yep he is pretty long haired!!

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "machine" > wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have a one year old cat that seems to produce me a fairly large furball
> at
>> least once a week!! I have tried grooming him more (as much as he will
>> let
>> me) and I have tried a tube of some stuff that is meant to help!! But
> still
>> no joy!!
>>
>> I don't really mind when he does it on the woodern floor or the kitchen
> lino
>> but when he keeps doing it on my carpet its a bit annoying!! and messy to
>> say the least!
>>

> Is he long-haired? In any case, if you brush him that means less fuel for
> hair balls!

BT1971 via CatKB.com
August 30th 06, 06:32 PM
machine wrote:
>Yep he is pretty long haired!!

You can try a "Lion" cut. Check google image search to see. My friend had
this done to her cat for the same reason. Looks pretty silly but it helped. I
don't know if I would do this during the cold winter though.

regards,
Brian

August 30th 06, 06:44 PM
"BT1971 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> machine wrote:
> >Yep he is pretty long haired!!
> >

> You can try a "Lion" cut. Check google image search to see. My friend had
> this done to her cat for the same reason. Looks pretty silly but it
helped. I
> don't know if I would do this during the cold winter though.

All he needs to do is brush the cat every day.

Buddy
August 30th 06, 06:46 PM
I will say what I always say about this problem - get Temptations
Hairball treats and give them daily. The hairballs will go out the
other end. They work!

machine wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a one year old cat that seems to produce me a fairly large furball at
> least once a week!! I have tried grooming him more (as much as he will let
> me) and I have tried a tube of some stuff that is meant to help!! But still
> no joy!!
>
> I don't really mind when he does it on the woodern floor or the kitchen lino
> but when he keeps doing it on my carpet its a bit annoying!! and messy to
> say the least!
>
> Any ideas? I am from the UK.
>
> Thanks
> Jamie

22brix
August 30th 06, 07:09 PM
"BT1971 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> machine wrote:
>>Yep he is pretty long haired!!
>>

> You can try a "Lion" cut. Check google image search to see. My friend had
> this done to her cat for the same reason. Looks pretty silly but it
> helped. I
> don't know if I would do this during the cold winter though.
>
> regards,
> Brian

We did this with Clover, one of our long haired cats. We were (and are)
brushing him, which he despises, gave him petromalt frequently which helped
a little but it got to the point that he lost his appetite and was losing
weight. Last year we partially shaved him at home (definitely not a fun
job, either for us or the cat!) This year he had some dental work and we
asked them to shave him while he was still under. Yes, he does look silly
but he's had very few hairballs since, mostly after his hair started growing
in. Both times that we shaved him, we did it in mid-spring--I wouldn't want
to do it in the cold season.

It's kind of a drastic solution and I wouldn't recommend it if the hairballs
are infrequent but it's made a big difference for my kitty.

Good luck,

Bonnie