PDA

View Full Version : My cat sprays in neighbors' houses

Desperate
August 30th 06, 11:33 PM
Help!

Went to a neighborhood event Sunday and learned, to my horror, that my
male, spayed, 4-5 year old cat has been spraying in 2 houses.

The 2 neighbors didn't bring up the matter; it just developed in
conversation. I feel absolutely SICK! Wish they had TOLD me!

Neighbor #1 says that my cat is over there alll the time! He sneaks
in whenever she leaves the door open and sometimes gets locked in when
she goes out, not realizing he's inside. He has pee'd on her couch and
sprayed on her drapes.

Long ago, she mentioned that my cat visits often, and gets on her bed
with her cat. I was horrified, but she said they seem to enjoy each
other's company. So there was no cause for alarm.

Now, it looks like my cat has taken advantage of her
welcoming/passive/whatever attitude to start camping out there.
She says she likes him, but major reprogramming is needed here,
seems to me.

I suggested she turn the hose on him. It's only water; unpleasant but
not harmful. After a few such "welcomes" he might get the idea. But
she's in a 2nd floor apt; can't access hose. She suggested spray
bottle. I concurred, urging good strong spray.

What to add to the water? I have heard cats don't like citrus, esp.
oranges. I'm thinking of grinding up orange peels, straining, and
giving her the concentrate to add to spray bottle. What else --
repellent but not harmful?

Yes, I will ask the vet why cat has started spraying. I can hardly
afford another visit, when he just had his annual physical, but...

Thanks for any comments; ideas...

Desperate

Matthew
August 30th 06, 11:35 PM
Is the cat neutered

Yes cats don't like citrus but make sure it never gets in their eyes

There is cat repellents at the pet store

Also could you keep that cat inside instead of letting it roam

<Desperate> wrote in message

> Help!
>
> Went to a neighborhood event Sunday and learned, to my horror, that my
> male, spayed, 4-5 year old cat has been spraying in 2 houses.
>
> The 2 neighbors didn't bring up the matter; it just developed in
> conversation. I feel absolutely SICK! Wish they had TOLD me!
>
> Neighbor #1 says that my cat is over there alll the time! He sneaks
> in whenever she leaves the door open and sometimes gets locked in when
> she goes out, not realizing he's inside. He has pee'd on her couch and
> sprayed on her drapes.
>
> Long ago, she mentioned that my cat visits often, and gets on her bed
> with her cat. I was horrified, but she said they seem to enjoy each
> other's company. So there was no cause for alarm.
>
> Now, it looks like my cat has taken advantage of her
> welcoming/passive/whatever attitude to start camping out there.
> She says she likes him, but major reprogramming is needed here,
> seems to me.
>
> I suggested she turn the hose on him. It's only water; unpleasant but
> not harmful. After a few such "welcomes" he might get the idea. But
> she's in a 2nd floor apt; can't access hose. She suggested spray
> bottle. I concurred, urging good strong spray.
>
> What to add to the water? I have heard cats don't like citrus, esp.
> oranges. I'm thinking of grinding up orange peels, straining, and
> giving her the concentrate to add to spray bottle. What else --
> repellent but not harmful?
>
> Yes, I will ask the vet why cat has started spraying. I can hardly
> afford another visit, when he just had his annual physical, but...
>
> Thanks for any comments; ideas...
>
> Desperate

Rhonda
August 31st 06, 06:07 AM
I think you'll either have to keep your cats inside, or build a
cat-proof fence around your yard. They do have fences that cats can't
escape -- I've seen them that come inward at the top.

It's not good to have your cats roaming in the neighbors yards anyway,
let alone inside their houses. The cat could easily get locked in a
neighbors house or garage when they leave for vacation. You would never
know.

Also, the next house he walks in and sprays -- the people might not be
so understanding. Someone could hurt him.

Good luck,

Rhonda