PDA

View Full Version : long-hair cat "cling-ons" and butt scooting

Brian Link
August 31st 06, 12:59 AM
When we had Henry, he was famous for scooting after using the
litterbox. We brought him to the vet who trimmed his fur in the
nether-regions.

Tiger has been doing this now for a couple days. He's a long-hair,
Maine-Coonish moggie that has never had this problem before.

I'm suspecting it has something to do with the fact he got out of the
house the other night and gobbled some plants.

Are there any clippers available to consumers to trim him? One vet
told me that cat skin is extremely delicate, and that we should only
leave trimming to the vets. I know that beard trimmers don't work -
cat fur is much finer than human fur.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Gail
August 31st 06, 01:02 AM
Could be impacted anal glands. Could be parasite, also (if he was outside).
Gail
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> When we had Henry, he was famous for scooting after using the
> litterbox. We brought him to the vet who trimmed his fur in the
> nether-regions.
>
> Tiger has been doing this now for a couple days. He's a long-hair,
> Maine-Coonish moggie that has never had this problem before.
>
> I'm suspecting it has something to do with the fact he got out of the
> house the other night and gobbled some plants.
>
> Are there any clippers available to consumers to trim him? One vet
> told me that cat skin is extremely delicate, and that we should only
> leave trimming to the vets. I know that beard trimmers don't work -
> cat fur is much finer than human fur.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> BLink
> --------------------------
> "The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Matthew
August 31st 06, 01:05 AM
There are also other reasons why a cat does the butt scooting it could be
his anal glands or worms

And there are groomers other than the vet to do this

Here is a link on the groomer equipment
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_SearchResults_Nav_1_Ntt_clipper_N_30+23.aspx

"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> When we had Henry, he was famous for scooting after using the
> litterbox. We brought him to the vet who trimmed his fur in the
> nether-regions.
>
> Tiger has been doing this now for a couple days. He's a long-hair,
> Maine-Coonish moggie that has never had this problem before.
>
> I'm suspecting it has something to do with the fact he got out of the
> house the other night and gobbled some plants.
>
> Are there any clippers available to consumers to trim him? One vet
> told me that cat skin is extremely delicate, and that we should only
> leave trimming to the vets.

That vet is just trying to make a buck IMO be wary of them

I know that beard trimmers don't work -
> cat fur is much finer than human fur.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> BLink
> --------------------------
> "The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Rhonda
August 31st 06, 01:43 AM
Matthew wrote:
> There are also other reasons why a cat does the butt scooting it could be
> his anal glands or worms

That's what I was thinking too -- one of those two things.

With our cat, it was impacted anal scent glands.

Rhonda

MaryL
August 31st 06, 04:14 AM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> When we had Henry, he was famous for scooting after using the
> litterbox. We brought him to the vet who trimmed his fur in the
> nether-regions.
>
> Tiger has been doing this now for a couple days. He's a long-hair,
> Maine-Coonish moggie that has never had this problem before.
>
> I'm suspecting it has something to do with the fact he got out of the
> house the other night and gobbled some plants.
>
> Are there any clippers available to consumers to trim him? One vet
> told me that cat skin is extremely delicate, and that we should only
> leave trimming to the vets. I know that beard trimmers don't work -
> cat fur is much finer than human fur.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> BLink

Tiger should first be evaluated by a veterinarian (as others have said,
possibly for impacted anal glands or parasites). Then, if he gets a clean
bill of health, *take the vet's advice* that you already received and *do
not try to do this type of trimming yourself.* Take Tiger to a professional
groomer.

MaryL