PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting problem

Deet
August 31st 06, 03:36 AM
Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
been tested for

diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
blood and urine show.

Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
episode and it stops the

vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
suggestions?

Matthew
August 31st 06, 03:41 AM
"Deet" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
> been tested for
>
> diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
> blood and urine show.
>
> Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
> episode and it stops the
>
> vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
> suggestions?

What are you feeding him before and after the vomiting episodes?

Have you checked to see if the furball is actually getting into something?

How often are the episodes and how long do they last?

Did the vet do an ultrasound to see if there is a mass or other possible
problem?

Deet
August 31st 06, 03:43 AM
Matthew wrote:
> "Deet" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
> > been tested for
> >
> > diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
> > blood and urine show.
> >
> > Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
> > episode and it stops the
> >
> > vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
> > suggestions?
> >

> What are you feeding him before and after the vomiting episodes?
>
> Have you checked to see if the furball is actually getting into something?
>
> How often are the episodes and how long do they last?
>
> Did the vet do an ultrasound to see if there is a mass or other possible
> problem?

Matthew
August 31st 06, 03:48 AM
Nothing came thru except a repeat of my post

But also a question for you did the vomiting get worse after the vet
started to give the antibiotic

"Deet" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Matthew wrote:
>> "Deet" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
>> > been tested for
>> >
>> > diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
>> > blood and urine show.
>> >
>> > Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
>> > episode and it stops the
>> >
>> > vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
>> > suggestions?
>> >

>> What are you feeding him before and after the vomiting episodes?
>>
>> Have you checked to see if the furball is actually getting into
>> something?
>>
>> How often are the episodes and how long do they last?
>>
>> Did the vet do an ultrasound to see if there is a mass or other possible
>> problem?

Deet
August 31st 06, 03:53 AM
Matthew wrote:
> "Deet" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
> > been tested for
> >
> > diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
> > blood and urine show.
> >
> > Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
> > episode and it stops the
> >
> > vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
> > suggestions?
> >

> What are you feeding him before and after the vomiting episodes?
>
> Have you checked to see if the furball is actually getting into something?
>
> How often are the episodes and how long do they last?
>
> Did the vet do an ultrasound to see if there is a mass or other possible
> problem?

Thanx for the response. He gets his everyday food {soft, because he
once had crystals}.

The vomiting starts 15 min to an hour after he eats and then he wants
to eat again.

He doesn't seem to be getting into anything.

The episodes go on every few weeks. They last until he gets the
Flagyl.They started last

year when it would be every few months.

The next step the vet wants to try is xray. He is a very uncooperative
kitty and has to be

out to be examined.Since he was just examined last week I felt it was
to soon for him to

go thru that again.

Everytime he goes without vomiting for a while I keep thinking it's
over.Of course that

never happens.

Gail
August 31st 06, 04:04 AM
The problem needs to be further investigated. He may have inflammatory bowel
disorder.
Gail
"Deet" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
> been tested for
>
> diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
> blood and urine show.
>
> Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
> episode and it stops the
>
> vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
> suggestions?

Deet
August 31st 06, 04:11 AM
How would they test for that? He does his "business'" everyday and it
seems all right. Kind
Gail wrote:
> The problem needs to be further investigated. He may have inflammatory bowel
> disorder.
> Gail
> "Deet" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
> > been tested for
> >
> > diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
> > blood and urine show.
> >
> > Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
> > episode and it stops the
> >
> > vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
> > suggestions?

Matthew
August 31st 06, 04:15 AM
"Deet" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Matthew wrote:
>> "Deet" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
>> > been tested for
>> >
>> > diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
>> > blood and urine show.
>> >
>> > Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
>> > episode and it stops the
>> >
>> > vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
>> > suggestions?
>> >

>> What are you feeding him before and after the vomiting episodes?
>>
>> Have you checked to see if the furball is actually getting into
>> something?
>>
>> How often are the episodes and how long do they last?
>>
>> Did the vet do an ultrasound to see if there is a mass or other possible
>> problem?
>
> Thanx for the response. He gets his everyday food {soft, because he
> once had crystals}.
>
> The vomiting starts 15 min to an hour after he eats and then he wants
> to eat again.
>
> He doesn't seem to be getting into anything.
>
> The episodes go on every few weeks. They last until he gets the
> Flagyl.They started last
>
> year when it would be every few months.
>
> The next step the vet wants to try is xray. He is a very uncooperative
> kitty and has to be
>
> out to be examined.Since he was just examined last week I felt it was
> to soon for him to
>
> go thru that again.
>
> Everytime he goes without vomiting for a while I keep thinking it's
> over.Of course that
>
> never happens.

I am not a vet just my experiences so this is just my 2 cents. I am sure
someone else will pipe in with better medical advice than mine

To me it sounds like IBS. Giving an antibiotic there has to be an
infection of the gastric. Which should have shown up on a full panel blood
test. If not it can do more harm then good some side effects the drug can
effect the liver in humans which means it can effect a furballs liver after
prolong use http://www.drugs.com/mtm/f/flagyl.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202365.html

Ok IMO a change in diet when he starts to vomit. Maybe some chicken
broth ( make sure no onions of any kind in it ) when he starts to vomit .
Some baby food ( a flavor a cat will eat) or rice pudding / yogurt

The soft food needs to be bland when he starts his vomiting episodes to
give the gastric tract some relief

The bad thing about the antibiotic it has a side effect of nausea and
vomiting plus a lot of other antibiotics can cause nausea and vomiting in
furballs.

My Rumble has a sensitive stomach he will eats his food than vomit than
come back for more. I start him out with a 1/4 of his usually serving let
him eat it than so on and so on. It keeps me from stepping into something
at 4 am

Gail
August 31st 06, 04:21 AM
Through a sonogram or a biopsy of the intestine.
Gail
"Gail" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> The problem needs to be further investigated. He may have inflammatory
> bowel disorder.
> Gail
> "Deet" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
>> been tested for
>>
>> diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
>> blood and urine show.
>>
>> Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
>> episode and it stops the
>>
>> vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
>> suggestions?

Deet
August 31st 06, 04:33 AM
Matthew wrote:
> "Deet" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Matthew wrote:
> >> "Deet" > wrote in message
> >> ups.com...

> >> What are you feeding him before and after the vomiting episodes?
> >>
> >> Have you checked to see if the furball is actually getting into
> >> something?
> >>
> >> How often are the episodes and how long do they last?
> >>
> >> Did the vet do an ultrasound to see if there is a mass or other possible
> >> problem?
> >
> > Thanx for the response. He gets his everyday food {soft, because he
> > once had crystals}.
> >
> > The vomiting starts 15 min to an hour after he eats and then he wants
> > to eat again.
> >
> > He doesn't seem to be getting into anything.
> >
> > The episodes go on every few weeks. They last until he gets the
> > Flagyl.They started last
> >
> > year when it would be every few months.
> >
> > The next step the vet wants to try is xray. He is a very uncooperative
> > kitty and has to be
> >
> > out to be examined.Since he was just examined last week I felt it was
> > to soon for him to
> >
> > go thru that again.
> >
> > Everytime he goes without vomiting for a while I keep thinking it's
> > over.Of course that
> >
> > never happens.
> >
> I am not a vet just my experiences so this is just my 2 cents. I am sure
> someone else will pipe in with better medical advice than mine
>
> To me it sounds like IBS. Giving an antibiotic there has to be an
> infection of the gastric. Which should have shown up on a full panel blood
> test. If not it can do more harm then good some side effects the drug can
> effect the liver in humans which means it can effect a furballs liver after
> prolong use http://www.drugs.com/mtm/f/flagyl.html
> http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202365.html
>
> Ok IMO a change in diet when he starts to vomit. Maybe some chicken
> broth ( make sure no onions of any kind in it ) when he starts to vomit .
> Some baby food ( a flavor a cat will eat) or rice pudding / yogurt
>
> The soft food needs to be bland when he starts his vomiting episodes to
> give the gastric tract some relief
>
> The bad thing about the antibiotic it has a side effect of nausea and
> vomiting plus a lot of other antibiotics can cause nausea and vomiting in
> furballs.
>
> My Rumble has a sensitive stomach he will eats his food than vomit than
> come back for more. I start him out with a 1/4 of his usually serving let
> him eat it than so on and so on. It keeps me from stepping into something
> at 4 am

Sounds like a plan to me. I'll take your two cents worth anytime. I'll
start cutting his portions and see if that helps.
Sammy's a little weird, he doesn't like any dairy and to get him to
drink chicken soup--well that would be a trip.
Thanx for the help.

Deet
August 31st 06, 04:34 AM
Thanx- I'll ask the vet about that.
Gail wrote:
> Through a sonogram or a biopsy of the intestine.
> Gail
> "Gail" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> > The problem needs to be further investigated. He may have inflammatory
> > bowel disorder.
> > Gail
> > "Deet" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >> Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
> >> been tested for
> >>
> >> diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
> >> blood and urine show.
> >>
> >> Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
> >> episode and it stops the
> >>
> >> vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
> >> suggestions?

Matthew
August 31st 06, 04:38 AM
"Deet" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Matthew wrote:

> Sounds like a plan to me. I'll take your two cents worth anytime. I'll
> start cutting his portions and see if that helps.
> Sammy's a little weird, he doesn't like any dairy and to get him to
> drink chicken soup--well that would be a trip.
> Thanx for the help.

NOT CHICKEN SOUP *****CHICKEN BROTH***** Most chicken soup has onion
powder in it and that can cause serious problem in a furball

And if you have ever gave a cat tuna juice it is the same idea. The rice
yogurt there is non dairy version and my furballs go nuts over it. I
also have tried beef baby food and chicken baby food my cats seem to like
it

Rhonda
August 31st 06, 05:46 AM
Hi Deet,

You might want your vet to refer you to an internist vet. You normally
need a referral to get in to see them, but seeing one saved our cat's life.

Your cat could be developing food allergies or have IBD, like was
already suggested. Our cat had possible IBD but was too sick to have a
biopsy, he also had pancreatitus. The vet suggested a food with no
grains or normal meat (like chicken or beef,) because common ingredients
in cat food could be causing the problem.

Bob was put on a prescription food that has one novel protein (like duck
or venison) and one starch (like peas or rice.) The brand we used was
IVD and it stopped his flare-ups. We also used a similar Waltham food,
which is a PetSmart brand, again with a prescription.

I would suggest though seeing an internist to get to the bottom of this.

Good luck!

Rhonda

Deet wrote:
> Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
> been tested for
>
> diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
> blood and urine show.
>
> Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
> episode and it stops the
>
> vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
> suggestions?

Deeanna
August 31st 06, 06:07 AM
Hi Deet!
I agree with all the posts about getting him checked out further by a
vet, most definitely.

One of my cats constantly threw up her food (and I did have those 3 and
4 AM missteps into a pile!) and I finally decided to change the food
all seven of them were eating to Science Diet for sensitive stomachs.
I mix that with either indoor cat, senior +, or sensitive skin and they
all seem to like it. Plus, the one who vomited all the time hardly
does any more. On occasion one of them will, but it is usually because
he/she has eaten too fast or they are getting rid of a hair ball. That
is what worked for my babies.

The other thing you can do until you get to the vet is cut way back on
his servings to see if that may help a bit. If you have the time, feed
him small servings 3 or 4 times a day instead of larger portions twice
a day. And, of course, make sure he has plenty of water. Mine are
spoiled with bottled water. I first started doing that when I was in
Italy in 1988; the water there was not drinkable so I figured if I
won't drink it, neither will my cats. My two Italian kitties have
passed away now, but I still give my babies either bottled water or
filtered water from the fridge. If I can't drink the tap water,
neither can my kitties. :^)

All the best of luck to you!
Deeanna

Deet wrote:
> Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He has
> been tested for
>
> diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
> blood and urine show.
>
> Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
> episode and it stops the
>
> vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
> suggestions?

Anonymous
August 31st 06, 07:02 AM
The problem needs to be further investigated. He may have inflammatory
bowel
disorder.
Gail
"Deet" <deet> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi all- My 12 yr old cat has started to vomit every few weeks. He
has
> been tested for
>
> diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid disease and anything else that
> blood and urine show.
>
> Everything comes back fine. The vet puts him on Flagyl after each
> episode and it stops the
>
> vomiting for a while but he can't tell me what's causing it.Any
> suggestions?

Sent via http://Pets-99.com , http://AnimalForum.ws & http://AnimalBlog.org

Buddy
August 31st 06, 11:06 AM
I assume you have ruled out hairballs? I would also try feeding less
food at a time. I had a cat who would eat really fast and then throw
up. Small portions more frequently helped.