PDA

View Full Version : Litter Box Help

August 31st 06, 01:52 PM
I have two cats but I'm having problems with one and it's been lasting
awhile now. The one cat will urinate in the litterbox but won't
defecate in it. He'll just go near it. So far I've tried:

1) adding extra litter boxes
2) using a covered litter box
3) moving the location of the litter box
4) changing the location of the litter box
5) adding fiber to make his stool softer.

So far, no luck. Any ideas?

Magic Mood JeepŠ
August 31st 06, 02:04 PM
In ups.com,
purred:
> I have two cats but I'm having problems with one and it's been lasting
> awhile now. The one cat will urinate in the litterbox but won't
> defecate in it. He'll just go near it. So far I've tried:
>
> 1) adding extra litter boxes
> 2) using a covered litter box
> 3) moving the location of the litter box
> 4) changing the location of the litter box
> 5) adding fiber to make his stool softer.
>
> So far, no luck. Any ideas?

You didn't mention taking the cat to a vet to have him checked for any
illnesses.

Improper elimination (either urine or feces) is one of the ways that they
"tell" us that they're ailing.

Lesley
August 31st 06, 02:49 PM
wrote:
> I have two cats but I'm having problems with one and it's been lasting
> awhile now. The one cat will urinate in the litterbox but won't
> defecate in it. He'll just go near it. So far I've tried:
>
> 1) adding extra litter boxes
> 2) using a covered litter box
> 3) moving the location of the litter box
> 4) changing the location of the litter box
> 5) adding fiber to make his stool softer.

Deeper litter.

I had this same problem with Sarrasine until the day I accidentally
poured what I thought was too much litter in the box. Turns out she
likes to really bury the evidence! Of course I know have the problem of
standing on half a ton of litter when she kicks it out of the box....

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

August 31st 06, 03:08 PM
I did call the vet and they suggested doing all of these things before
bringing him in.

Lesley wrote:
> wrote:
> > I have two cats but I'm having problems with one and it's been lasting
> > awhile now. The one cat will urinate in the litterbox but won't
> > defecate in it. He'll just go near it. So far I've tried:
> >
> > 1) adding extra litter boxes
> > 2) using a covered litter box
> > 3) moving the location of the litter box
> > 4) changing the location of the litter box
> > 5) adding fiber to make his stool softer.
> >

> Deeper litter.
>
> I had this same problem with Sarrasine until the day I accidentally
> poured what I thought was too much litter in the box. Turns out she
> likes to really bury the evidence! Of course I know have the problem of
> standing on half a ton of litter when she kicks it out of the box....
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

August 31st 06, 08:03 PM
wrote:
> I have two cats but I'm having problems with one and it's been lasting
> awhile now. The one cat will urinate in the litterbox but won't
> defecate in it. He'll just go near it. So far I've tried:
>
> 1) adding extra litter boxes
> 2) using a covered litter box
> 3) moving the location of the litter box
> 4) changing the location of the litter box
> 5) adding fiber to make his stool softer.
>
> So far, no luck. Any ideas?

One of my cats NEVER went in the litter box. I just learned to live
with it and loved the rascal anyway. another, apparently didn't like
the litter box having a cover which I had to have because another cat
sprayed when she used it. So, I removed the cover and put the box into
the tub in our spare bathroom. that really helped. Another cat really
likes privacy when she poops so I had to put a box in the basement for
just her. i hope you solve your cat's idiosyncracies.

Matthew
August 31st 06, 08:06 PM
Have you tried the brand of litter you are using
using unscented it you are using scented
maybe even as go as far as using potting soil or landscaping sand to mimic
the outside world

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I did call the vet and they suggested doing all of these things before
> bringing him in.
>
> Lesley wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > I have two cats but I'm having problems with one and it's been lasting
>> > awhile now. The one cat will urinate in the litterbox but won't
>> > defecate in it. He'll just go near it. So far I've tried:
>> >
>> > 1) adding extra litter boxes
>> > 2) using a covered litter box
>> > 3) moving the location of the litter box
>> > 4) changing the location of the litter box
>> > 5) adding fiber to make his stool softer.
>> >

>> Deeper litter.
>>
>> I had this same problem with Sarrasine until the day I accidentally
>> poured what I thought was too much litter in the box. Turns out she
>> likes to really bury the evidence! Of course I know have the problem of
>> standing on half a ton of litter when she kicks it out of the box....
>>
>> Lesley
>>
>> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Matthew
August 31st 06, 08:07 PM
sorry should say changing the brand of litter you are using

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Have you tried the brand of litter you are using
> using unscented it you are using scented
> maybe even as go as far as using potting soil or landscaping sand to mimic
> the outside world
>

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>I did call the vet and they suggested doing all of these things before
>> bringing him in.

>>> Deeper litter.
>>>
>>> I had this same problem with Sarrasine until the day I accidentally
>>> poured what I thought was too much litter in the box. Turns out she
>>> likes to really bury the evidence! Of course I know have the problem of
>>> standing on half a ton of litter when she kicks it out of the box....
>>>
>>> Lesley
>>>
>>> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Gail
August 31st 06, 11:11 PM
Add more boxes. You should have 3. Use unscented scooping litter and no hood
on the boxes. If this doesn't work, see a vet.
Gail
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have two cats but I'm having problems with one and it's been lasting
> awhile now. The one cat will urinate in the litterbox but won't
> defecate in it. He'll just go near it. So far I've tried:
>
> 1) adding extra litter boxes
> 2) using a covered litter box
> 3) moving the location of the litter box
> 4) changing the location of the litter box
> 5) adding fiber to make his stool softer.
>
> So far, no luck. Any ideas?

Green Clogs
September 1st 06, 01:10 AM
Gail wrote:

> Add more boxes. You should have 3.

3?? For 2 cats???

I have one for both my boys and they've never had a problem with it.

> Use unscented scooping litter and no hood
> on the boxes. If this doesn't work, see a vet.
> Gail
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>I have two cats but I'm having problems with one and it's been lasting
>>awhile now. The one cat will urinate in the litterbox but won't
>>defecate in it. He'll just go near it. So far I've tried:
>>
>>1) adding extra litter boxes
>>2) using a covered litter box
>>3) moving the location of the litter box
>>4) changing the location of the litter box
>>5) adding fiber to make his stool softer.
>>
>>So far, no luck. Any ideas?

Matthew
September 1st 06, 01:12 AM
I wish I had that few 6 cats over a dozen boxes which includes some
litter maids

"Green Clogs" > wrote in message
> Gail wrote:
>
>> Add more boxes. You should have 3.
>
> 3?? For 2 cats???
>
> I have one for both my boys and they've never had a problem with it.
>

>> Use unscented scooping litter and no hood on the boxes. If this doesn't
>> work, see a vet.
>> Gail
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>
>>>I have two cats but I'm having problems with one and it's been lasting
>>>awhile now. The one cat will urinate in the litterbox but won't
>>>defecate in it. He'll just go near it. So far I've tried:
>>>
>>>1) adding extra litter boxes
>>>2) using a covered litter box
>>>3) moving the location of the litter box
>>>4) changing the location of the litter box
>>>5) adding fiber to make his stool softer.
>>>
>>>So far, no luck. Any ideas?

Gail
September 1st 06, 01:54 AM
Some cats DO mind sharing a litter box and the rule of thumb is one litter
box to each cat plus one.
Gail
"Green Clogs" > wrote in message
> Gail wrote:
>
>> Add more boxes. You should have 3.
>
> 3?? For 2 cats???
>
> I have one for both my boys and they've never had a problem with it.
>

>> Use unscented scooping litter and no hood on the boxes. If this doesn't
>> work, see a vet.
>> Gail
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>
>>>I have two cats but I'm having problems with one and it's been lasting
>>>awhile now. The one cat will urinate in the litterbox but won't
>>>defecate in it. He'll just go near it. So far I've tried:
>>>
>>>1) adding extra litter boxes
>>>2) using a covered litter box
>>>3) moving the location of the litter box
>>>4) changing the location of the litter box
>>>5) adding fiber to make his stool softer.
>>>
>>>So far, no luck. Any ideas?

Azara
September 1st 06, 10:48 PM
The only cat I've known who did this was a shelter adoptee who was
declawed. He would pee in the box but not poop there. He would poop
outside of the box on a plastic garbage bag or piece of paper set aside
for the purpose. This was true when he was one of two cats and
unfortunately also true after his companion cat passed away leaving him
as an only cat. The vet said this behavior was likely because he had
been declawed, that sometimes declawed cats develop strange litter box
habits because the litter feels weird on their toes.

Have you tried a different litter? (Like a pine or paper litter?) Just
to see if he'd like that better.

Good luck!