PDA

View Full Version : Sasha is not good

meow
September 1st 06, 07:38 PM
Called vet to bring her in and he pretty much told me not to bother.
Said the mass in her liver is problably getting the best of her and to
give her fluids and make her as comfy as possible. I just gave her
100ml and I brought the bag out to where she is laying on the couch
and injected her and she did not even move. She usually puts up a
little struggle. vet said that he could do an xray of the mass but all
it would do is give us a picture of it and he still would not suggest
any type of exploratory surgery because she has CRF and there still
would not be much they could do. told me to take until tomorrow and
see how she is doing and to start to consider saying goodbye. I am
going to have the other dr there review her case because I am not
ready to write her off yet. She was doing so well the past few months
I just can't believe she would crash like this in a matter of days.

Gail
September 1st 06, 10:20 PM
My prayers are with her.
Gail
"meow" > wrote in message
> Called vet to bring her in and he pretty much told me not to bother.
> Said the mass in her liver is problably getting the best of her and to
> give her fluids and make her as comfy as possible. I just gave her
> 100ml and I brought the bag out to where she is laying on the couch
> and injected her and she did not even move. She usually puts up a
> little struggle. vet said that he could do an xray of the mass but all
> it would do is give us a picture of it and he still would not suggest
> any type of exploratory surgery because she has CRF and there still
> would not be much they could do. told me to take until tomorrow and
> see how she is doing and to start to consider saying goodbye. I am
> going to have the other dr there review her case because I am not
> ready to write her off yet. She was doing so well the past few months
> I just can't believe she would crash like this in a matter of days.

Azara
September 1st 06, 10:42 PM
I don't want to get your hopes up in case the vet is right but if I
were you, I wouldn't give up yet either. Try another vet, even an
emergency vet (if that's an option for you and you can afford it.)
Cat's can take sudden downturns (so that doesn't surprise me) but they
can also come back from the brink at times. But if the liver is
involved, that does sound pretty bad. Does he think it is cancer?

meow wrote:
> Called vet to bring her in and he pretty much told me not to bother.
> Said the mass in her liver is problably getting the best of her and to
> give her fluids and make her as comfy as possible. I just gave her
> 100ml and I brought the bag out to where she is laying on the couch
> and injected her and she did not even move. She usually puts up a
> little struggle. vet said that he could do an xray of the mass but all
> it would do is give us a picture of it and he still would not suggest
> any type of exploratory surgery because she has CRF and there still
> would not be much they could do. told me to take until tomorrow and
> see how she is doing and to start to consider saying goodbye. I am
> going to have the other dr there review her case because I am not
> ready to write her off yet. She was doing so well the past few months
> I just can't believe she would crash like this in a matter of days.

-L.
September 1st 06, 10:49 PM
meow wrote:
> Called vet to bring her in and he pretty much told me not to bother.
> Said the mass in her liver is problably getting the best of her and to
> give her fluids and make her as comfy as possible. I just gave her
> 100ml and I brought the bag out to where she is laying on the couch
> and injected her and she did not even move. She usually puts up a
> little struggle. vet said that he could do an xray of the mass but all
> it would do is give us a picture of it and he still would not suggest
> any type of exploratory surgery because she has CRF and there still
> would not be much they could do. told me to take until tomorrow and
> see how she is doing and to start to consider saying goodbye. I am
> going to have the other dr there review her case because I am not
> ready to write her off yet. She was doing so well the past few months
> I just can't believe she would crash like this in a matter of days.

Unfortunately, that's cancer. Sometimes it takes them down really
quickly. I am so sorry. Here's a link that might help:
Here's a link that might help:
http://angelshavenhere.homestead.com/makingthedecision.html
My thoughts are with you,
-L.

September 1st 06, 11:01 PM
On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 18:38:15 GMT, meow > wrote:

>Called vet to bring her in and he pretty much told me not to bother.
>Said the mass in her liver is problably getting the best of her and to
>give her fluids and make her as comfy as possible. I just gave her
>100ml and I brought the bag out to where she is laying on the couch
>and injected her and she did not even move. She usually puts up a
>little struggle. vet said that he could do an xray of the mass but all
>it would do is give us a picture of it and he still would not suggest
>any type of exploratory surgery because she has CRF and there still
>would not be much they could do. told me to take until tomorrow and
>see how she is doing and to start to consider saying goodbye. I am
>going to have the other dr there review her case because I am not
>ready to write her off yet. She was doing so well the past few months
>I just can't believe she would crash like this in a matter of days.

Sounds like you need another vet. This one sounds like he doesn't
care too much. Good luck and let us know.

Elizabeth Blake
September 2nd 06, 02:47 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> meow wrote:
>> Called vet to bring her in and he pretty much told me not to bother.
>> Said the mass in her liver is problably getting the best of her and to
>> give her fluids and make her as comfy as possible. I just gave her
>> 100ml and I brought the bag out to where she is laying on the couch
>> and injected her and she did not even move. She usually puts up a
>> little struggle. vet said that he could do an xray of the mass but all
>> it would do is give us a picture of it and he still would not suggest
>> any type of exploratory surgery because she has CRF and there still
>> would not be much they could do. told me to take until tomorrow and
>> see how she is doing and to start to consider saying goodbye. I am
>> going to have the other dr there review her case because I am not
>> ready to write her off yet. She was doing so well the past few months
>> I just can't believe she would crash like this in a matter of days.
>
> Unfortunately, that's cancer. Sometimes it takes them down really
> quickly. I am so sorry. Here's a link that might help:
> Here's a link that might help:
> http://angelshavenhere.homestead.com/makingthedecision.html
> My thoughts are with you,
> -L.

The same thing happened with my cat Tiger. In December 2005 I was told that
her kidneys were starting to fail. She was doing great after that, and then
one night in March I got home and she was very lethargic, wanted to stay
under the table and had no interest in food. Her bloodwork was good as far
as her kidneys were concerned but other numbers were way off. The vet said
she most likely had cancer, but she passed away before an ultrasound could
be done. One day she was great, the next she wasn't. I hope that you get
better news about Sasha. Purrs for the both of you.

--
Liz

September 2nd 06, 12:45 PM
> Sounds like you need another vet. This one sounds like he doesn't
> care too much. Good luck and let us know.

I got the impression that the vet believes this is the end, and
instead of being greedy and encouraging all sorts of tests, was honest
and not taking advantage of the situation.

He may be wrong, so it would be a good idea to see the other vet. But
it doesn't sound like the vet doesn't care. Just that he believes the
condition is not curable. I haven't seen anything that says the age of
this cat, and that is also a factor to take into consideration.

Last year, I discovered that Maynard had yellow ears. He seemed fine
otherwise, so I didn't realize it was very serious until Igot to the
vet and the tech looked serious and came back with the vet who had a
look that told me this was very close to the end. This was not mynormal
vet, and she gave me a bunch of of emergency options that would have
brought in a lot of cash flow for them, but it was obvious that she
didn't believe any of it would help him, especially as he was 19.

I did get the bloodwork as there was a chance that it was just an
infection. His liver values were way off the chart. This was not a
little infection.

ALT was 605 (normal is 12 -130).
SGOT/AST was 145 (normal is 5-55).
TBIL was 17.6 (normal is 0-0.9).

He still seemed fine that day, but started going downhill the day
after. And the 3rd day, he gave up eating altogether, and basically
just laid there.

Sometimes, it really does come on fast. I took him back to my regular
vet, and they took one look and agreed that any treatment would be
useless and only prolong his suffering. Had he been younger or had
some hope in his bloodwork, I would have tried.

I don't know how likely a liver problem is if the bloodwork looks okay.
Maynard's bloodwork was obviously bad.

I would definitely go back to the other vet, the one you trust, and see
what you can learn. Consider your options, give yourself some time,
and make an educated decision to try further treatment or let her go.

meow
September 2nd 06, 06:39 PM
On 2 Sep 2006 04:45:07 -0700, "
> wrote:

>> Sounds like you need another vet. This one sounds like he doesn't
>> care too much. Good luck and let us know.
>
>I got the impression that the vet believes this is the end, and
>instead of being greedy and encouraging all sorts of tests, was honest
>and not taking advantage of the situation.
>
>He may be wrong, so it would be a good idea to see the other vet. But
>it doesn't sound like the vet doesn't care. Just that he believes the
>condition is not curable. I haven't seen anything that says the age of
>this cat, and that is also a factor to take into consideration.
>
>Last year, I discovered that Maynard had yellow ears. He seemed fine
>otherwise, so I didn't realize it was very serious until Igot to the
>vet and the tech looked serious and came back with the vet who had a
>look that told me this was very close to the end. This was not mynormal
>vet, and she gave me a bunch of of emergency options that would have
>brought in a lot of cash flow for them, but it was obvious that she
>didn't believe any of it would help him, especially as he was 19.
>
>I did get the bloodwork as there was a chance that it was just an
>infection. His liver values were way off the chart. This was not a
>little infection.
>
>ALT was 605 (normal is 12 -130).
>SGOT/AST was 145 (normal is 5-55).
>TBIL was 17.6 (normal is 0-0.9).
>
>He still seemed fine that day, but started going downhill the day
>after. And the 3rd day, he gave up eating altogether, and basically
>just laid there.
>
>Sometimes, it really does come on fast. I took him back to my regular
>vet, and they took one look and agreed that any treatment would be
>useless and only prolong his suffering. Had he been younger or had
>some hope in his bloodwork, I would have tried.
>
>I don't know how likely a liver problem is if the bloodwork looks okay.
>Maynard's bloodwork was obviously bad.
>
>I would definitely go back to the other vet, the one you trust, and see
>what you can learn. Consider your options, give yourself some time,
>and make an educated decision to try further treatment or let her go.

She seems ok today. She ate a good amount of wet food last night and
ate a pretty good amount a few hours ago. I think she was just having
a bad couple days. I don't know how old she is. I know I've had her
since Dec. of 2000 and she was a starving stray i took in and has been
the best cat ever. At the time the vets claimed she was around 2 but
since she was diagnosed with CRF in January, they suspected she may be
older than we originally thought. I over worry about her. Having a cat
with CRF is like a rollorcoaster because she has good days and bad
days. When you see them on there good days you assume they are gonna
be with you forever but on there bad days sometimes you don't know if
this is it or not.

Hezabel
September 3rd 06, 02:42 AM
meow wrote:
> Called vet to bring her in and he pretty much told me not to bother.
> Said the mass in her liver is problably getting the best of her and to
> give her fluids and make her as comfy as possible. I just gave her
> 100ml and I brought the bag out to where she is laying on the couch
> and injected her and she did not even move. She usually puts up a
> little struggle. vet said that he could do an xray of the mass but all
> it would do is give us a picture of it and he still would not suggest
> any type of exploratory surgery because she has CRF and there still
> would not be much they could do. told me to take until tomorrow and
> see how she is doing and to start to consider saying goodbye. I am
> going to have the other dr there review her case because I am not
> ready to write her off yet. She was doing so well the past few months
> I just can't believe she would crash like this in a matter of days.

Our thoughts are with you and Sasha. See another vet if you can for
that second opinion that we need no matter what. She is lucky to have
found you and to have all your love and care when she needs it the
most. It will all be the way it should at the end. Many blessings to
you.

September 4th 06, 03:52 AM
On 2 Sep 2006 04:45:07 -0700, "
> wrote:

>> Sounds like you need another vet. This one sounds like he doesn't
>> care too much. Good luck and let us know.
>
>I got the impression that the vet believes this is the end, and
>instead of being greedy and encouraging all sorts of tests, was honest
>and not taking advantage of the situation.

It was the bluntness of the response that concerned me. If the vet
wasn't compassionate, I would tend to not trust that vet.

>I would definitely go back to the other vet, the one you trust, and see
>what you can learn. Consider your options, give yourself some time,
>and make an educated decision to try further treatment or let her go.

Agreed.

meow
September 4th 06, 04:03 AM
On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 22:52:55 -0400, "
> wrote:

>On 2 Sep 2006 04:45:07 -0700, "
> wrote:
>

>>> Sounds like you need another vet. This one sounds like he doesn't
>>> care too much. Good luck and let us know.
>>
>>I got the impression that the vet believes this is the end, and
>>instead of being greedy and encouraging all sorts of tests, was honest
>>and not taking advantage of the situation.
>
>It was the bluntness of the response that concerned me. If the vet
>wasn't compassionate, I would tend to not trust that vet.
>

>>I would definitely go back to the other vet, the one you trust, and see
>>what you can learn. Consider your options, give yourself some time,
>>and make an educated decision to try further treatment or let her go.
>
>Agreed.

I agree too. She will not be seeing him again. Although he claims to
have felt an undetected liver mass, He did have her pretty much
written off when yesterday and today she has perked up and is back to
her crazy self. She is eating and walking around and following me and
occasionally talking to me. She is only going to see Dr. Edwards from
now on. i am sure there are people here with experience with a cat who
has CRF. It really is like a roller coaster because they have good
days and bad days. i think she just had a tummy ache from being
constipated. i have done some reading and some have claimed that
pumpkin will help her be more regular and I am thinking of trying
that. Anyone else here have any ideas?

September 4th 06, 04:13 PM
On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 03:03:18 GMT, meow > wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 22:52:55 -0400, "
> wrote:

>>>I got the impression that the vet believes this is the end, and
>>>instead of being greedy and encouraging all sorts of tests, was honest
>>>and not taking advantage of the situation.
>>
>>It was the bluntness of the response that concerned me. If the vet
>>wasn't compassionate, I would tend to not trust that vet.
>>

>>>I would definitely go back to the other vet, the one you trust, and see
>>>what you can learn. Consider your options, give yourself some time,
>>>and make an educated decision to try further treatment or let her go.
>>
>>Agreed.
>

>I agree too. She will not be seeing him again. Although he claims to
>have felt an undetected liver mass, He did have her pretty much
>written off when yesterday and today she has perked up and is back to
>her crazy self. She is eating and walking around and following me and
>occasionally talking to me. She is only going to see Dr. Edwards from
>now on. i am sure there are people here with experience with a cat who
>has CRF. It really is like a roller coaster because they have good
>days and bad days. i think she just had a tummy ache from being
>constipated. i have done some reading and some have claimed that
>pumpkin will help her be more regular and I am thinking of trying
>that. Anyone else here have any ideas?

Fiber can definitely help with constipation. My wife and I add 1/4
tsp of Benefiber each meal to my cat Katie's diet to keep her
regular. You may need to tune the dosage but it seems to be helping.

meow
September 5th 06, 04:00 AM
On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:13:58 -0400, "
> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 03:03:18 GMT, meow > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 22:52:55 -0400, "
> wrote:

>>>It was the bluntness of the response that concerned me. If the vet
>>>wasn't compassionate, I would tend to not trust that vet.

>>>Agreed.
>>

>>I agree too. She will not be seeing him again. Although he claims to
>>have felt an undetected liver mass, He did have her pretty much
>>written off when yesterday and today she has perked up and is back to
>>her crazy self. She is eating and walking around and following me and
>>occasionally talking to me. She is only going to see Dr. Edwards from
>>now on. i am sure there are people here with experience with a cat who
>>has CRF. It really is like a roller coaster because they have good
>>days and bad days. i think she just had a tummy ache from being
>>constipated. i have done some reading and some have claimed that
>>pumpkin will help her be more regular and I am thinking of trying
>>that. Anyone else here have any ideas?
>
>Fiber can definitely help with constipation. My wife and I add 1/4
>tsp of Benefiber each meal to my cat Katie's diet to keep her
>regular. You may need to tune the dosage but it seems to be helping.

Oh you can give that to a cat? I did not know that and I have some in
the cabinet. I am gonna try mixing it with her wet food tomorrow.
Thanks

Anonymous
September 5th 06, 07:04 AM
<robxr4ti> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 03:03:18 GMT, meow <meow30> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 22:52:55 -0400, "
> > wrote:
>
> On 2 Sep 2006 04:45:07 -0700, "
> > wrote:
>

> Sounds like you need another vet. This one sounds like he doesn't
> care too much. Good luck and let us know.
>
> I got the impression that the vet believes this is the end, and
> instead of being greedy and encouraging all sorts of tests, was
honest
> and not taking advantage of the situation.
>
> It was the bluntness of the response that concerned me. If the vet
> wasn't compassionate, I would tend to not trust that vet.
>

> I would definitely go back to the other vet, the one you trust, and
see
> what you can learn. Consider your options, give yourself some time,
> and make an educated decision to try further treatment or let her
go.

> Agreed.
>

> I agree too. She will not be seeing him again. Although he claims to
> have felt an undetected liver mass, He did have her pretty much
> written off when yesterday and today she has perked up and is back
> her crazy self. She is eating and walking around and following me
and
> occasionally talking to me. She is only going to see Dr. Edwards
from
> now on. i am sure there are people here with experience with a cat
who
> has CRF. It really is like a roller coaster because they have good
> days and bad days. i think she just had a tummy ache from being
> constipated. i have done some reading and some have claimed that
> pumpkin will help her be more regular and I am thinking of trying
> that. Anyone else here have any ideas?
>
> Fiber can definitely help with constipation. My wife and I add 1/4
> tsp of Benefiber each meal to my cat Katie's diet to keep her
> regular. You may need to tune the dosage but it seems to be
helping.

Oh you can give that to a cat? I did not know that and I have some in
the cabinet. I am gonna try mixing it with her wet food tomorrow.
Thanks
Sent via http://Pets-99.com , http://AnimalForum.ws & http://AnimalBlog.org

Anonymous
September 5th 06, 07:04 AM

<robxr4ti> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 03:03:18 GMT, meow <meow30> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 22:52:55 -0400, "
> > wrote:
>
> On 2 Sep 2006 04:45:07 -0700, "
> > wrote:
>

> Sounds like you need another vet. This one sounds like he doesn't
> care too much. Good luck and let us know.
>
> I got the impression that the vet believes this is the end, and
> instead of being greedy and encouraging all sorts of tests, was
honest
> and not taking advantage of the situation.
>
> It was the bluntness of the response that concerned me. If the vet
> wasn't compassionate, I would tend to not trust that vet.
>

> I would definitely go back to the other vet, the one you trust, and
see
> what you can learn. Consider your options, give yourself some time,
> and make an educated decision to try further treatment or let her
go.

> Agreed.
>

> I agree too. She will not be seeing him again. Although he claims to
> have felt an undetected liver mass, He did have her pretty much
> written off when yesterday and today she has perked up and is back
> her crazy self. She is eating and walking around and following me
and
> occasionally talking to me. She is only going to see Dr. Edwards
from
> now on. i am sure there are people here with experience with a cat
who
> has CRF. It really is like a roller coaster because they have good
> days and bad days. i think she just had a tummy ache from being
> constipated. i have done some reading and some have claimed that
> pumpkin will help her be more regular and I am thinking of trying
> that. Anyone else here have any ideas?
>
> Fiber can definitely help with constipation. My wife and I add 1/4
> tsp of Benefiber each meal to my cat Katie's diet to keep her
> regular. You may need to tune the dosage but it seems to be
helping.

Oh you can give that to a cat? I did not know that and I have some in
the cabinet. I am gonna try mixing it with her wet food tomorrow.
Thanks
Sent via http://Pets-99.com , http://AnimalForum.ws & http://AnimalBlog.org

September 5th 06, 12:08 PM
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 03:00:44 GMT, meow > wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:13:58 -0400, "
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 03:03:18 GMT, meow > wrote:

>>>I agree too. She will not be seeing him again. Although he claims to
>>>have felt an undetected liver mass, He did have her pretty much
>>>written off when yesterday and today she has perked up and is back to
>>>her crazy self. She is eating and walking around and following me and
>>>occasionally talking to me. She is only going to see Dr. Edwards from
>>>now on. i am sure there are people here with experience with a cat who
>>>has CRF. It really is like a roller coaster because they have good
>>>days and bad days. i think she just had a tummy ache from being
>>>constipated. i have done some reading and some have claimed that
>>>pumpkin will help her be more regular and I am thinking of trying
>>>that. Anyone else here have any ideas?
>>
>>Fiber can definitely help with constipation. My wife and I add 1/4
>>tsp of Benefiber each meal to my cat Katie's diet to keep her
>>regular. You may need to tune the dosage but it seems to be helping.
>

>Oh you can give that to a cat? I did not know that and I have some in
>the cabinet. I am gonna try mixing it with her wet food tomorrow.
>Thanks

You may have to adjust the dosage to get it right. If you get too
much, then you're talking loose stools.

<.no-spam.invalid (Anonymous)> wrote in message
> On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:13:58 -0400, "
> <robxr4ti> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 03:03:18 GMT, meow <meow30> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 22:52:55 -0400, "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > On 2 Sep 2006 04:45:07 -0700, "
> > > wrote:
> >

> > Sounds like you need another vet. This one sounds like he doesn't
> > care too much. Good luck and let us know.
> >
> > I got the impression that the vet believes this is the end, and
> > instead of being greedy and encouraging all sorts of tests, was
> honest
> > and not taking advantage of the situation.
> >
> > It was the bluntness of the response that concerned me. If the vet
> > wasn't compassionate, I would tend to not trust that vet.
> >

> > I would definitely go back to the other vet, the one you trust, and
> see
> > what you can learn. Consider your options, give yourself some time,
> > and make an educated decision to try further treatment or let her
> go.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >

> > I agree too. She will not be seeing him again. Although he claims to
> > have felt an undetected liver mass, He did have her pretty much
> > written off when yesterday and today she has perked up and is back
> > her crazy self. She is eating and walking around and following me
> and
> > occasionally talking to me. She is only going to see Dr. Edwards
> from
> > now on. i am sure there are people here with experience with a cat
> who
> > has CRF. It really is like a roller coaster because they have good
> > days and bad days. i think she just had a tummy ache from being
> > constipated. i have done some reading and some have claimed that
> > pumpkin will help her be more regular and I am thinking of trying
> > that. Anyone else here have any ideas?
> >
> > Fiber can definitely help with constipation. My wife and I add 1/4
> > tsp of Benefiber each meal to my cat Katie's diet to keep her
> > regular. You may need to tune the dosage but it seems to be
> helping.
> >

> Oh you can give that to a cat? I did not know that and I have some in
> the cabinet. I am gonna try mixing it with her wet food tomorrow.
> Thanks
> Sent via http://Pets-99.com , http://AnimalForum.ws &
http://AnimalBlog.org

Hi John Doe.

lol

September 6th 06, 12:24 AM
meow wrote:

> I agree too. She will not be seeing him again. Although he claims to
> have felt an undetected liver mass, He did have her pretty much
> written off when yesterday and today she has perked up and is back to
> her crazy self. She is eating and walking around and following me and
> occasionally talking to me.

I'm glad to hear she is feeling much better now.

I've had compassionate vets tell me it was the end, so it really does
depend on how they say it and how they are giving you the advice. Even
the vet that tried to get me to spend lots more money still told me
with her expression and compassion that it was end. It was a chain
style vet, so I suspect she she is required to suggest more testing
even when she knows it is useless. Maybe she'll get tired of that and
move to a private practice.