PDA

View Full Version : Iams Canned Fails the Taste Test


cybercat
September 2nd 06, 03:53 AM
Except I wasn't really conducting one.

Still, the results were unmistakeable.

I feed Fancy Feast brands with meat as a first ingredient and no wheat
gluten. I can get it for 44 cents a can at the cheapest, 60 cents at the
rip-off Harris Teeter that is most convenient to the house. (Anybody else
think this way since gas has gotten so high?)

I do this largely because Gracie has allergy problems. However, our formerly
full-figured Boo is a voracious chow hound, moreso since she has lost down
to 8 sleek pounds and is on scheduled feedings.

So when I saw SIX-ounce cans of Iams, also with meat as a first ingredient,
albeit some grains for 69 cents a can--twice the size of the FF--I thought,
sure, why not, for Boo, she loves everything.

So she gets it for three days. Day four, after I put Gracie's FF down, Boo
leaves her food and goes for it, I say "no ..." and she wheels around,
glares at me, and stalks downstairs without eating her food! This is a FIRST
and this cat is 12 years old. (She eventually came back up and ate it, she's
not crazy!)

That night, I try it again. I put it down, she starts to eat rather
reluctantly. I pop the top on Gracie's FF and Boo stops eating and looks up
and gives me this lonnnng loud MEEEE-OWWWWWWW! I mean, she left the dish and
came and sat at attention.

I might be less inclined to give in, but it looks and smells really
icky--none of that good stinky cat food stuff that FF has that they love,
and a consistency you can tell comes from grains when cold. Like cold
oatmeal?

-L.
September 2nd 06, 08:53 AM
cybercat wrote:
> Except I wasn't really conducting one.

LOL...the only Iams food I like is Iams kitten canned. I have had a lot
of luck weaning kittens onto it. I thought the same about the
consistency of the adult canned - YUCK! My cats eat Friskie's almost
exclusively (they are way picky) but another food they will scarf down
is Purina Diabetic (D/M) diet which is almost all pure meat (first six
ingredients are liver, water, beef, corn gluten meal, trout, fish
meal.)

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/FelineProductDetail.aspx?prod=14

You have to buy it from a vet (non-prescription, though) The 5.5 oz.
cans run about $1.00, IIRC.

-L.

Deeanna
September 3rd 06, 05:06 PM
Hi Cybercat!
I had to put my boy Douwe on a prescription food diet (Science Diet
C/D) due to his tinkle problems and bought a 20 lb bag ($40.00) of hard
and a case of canned ($30.00) for him so I could alternate between the
two. I gave him that canned food, he took one sniff, and walked away;
he would not touch it. I swear I could see the revulsion in his face!
:) I took one sniff of it and realized why; it just smelled nasty! A
fish left out in the sun for one day smelled better than this stuff.
So, we took all the unopened cans back to the vet and got our money
back.

Fortunately, since he is the only one (of seven) who eats the
prescription food, a 20lb. bag lasts about 7 months. I like to give
all of them soft food on occasion, so I buy the Friskies Special Diet
for urinary tract health. They all love it! I might start giving them
FF as well just to see if they like it.

>I can get it for 44 cents a can at the cheapest, 60 cents at the
> rip-off Harris Teeter that is most convenient to the house. (Anybody else
> think this way since gas has gotten so high?)

Yes, I do. I can get a 40 lb. container of Scoop Away cat litter at
Costco for $10.59; at Petsmart it is $15.49. Even though the two
stores are on the same street and just yards apart, if I am at Petsmart
and do not feel like stopping again at Costco just for cat litter, I do
not mind paying the difference. I can get the canned Friskies a lot
cheaper at the Air Force base commissary (grocery store) than I can at
Petsmart, but the Air Force base is 35 miles from my house and Petsmart
is 8. Plus, Pestmart has a much bigger selection of the Friskies
Special Diet. So, I'll pay the diference rather than waste all that
gas to save 10 cents per can.

Deeanna


cybercat wrote:
> Except I wasn't really conducting one.
>
> Still, the results were unmistakeable.
>
> I feed Fancy Feast brands with meat as a first ingredient and no wheat
> gluten. I can get it for 44 cents a can at the cheapest, 60 cents at the
> rip-off Harris Teeter that is most convenient to the house. (Anybody else
> think this way since gas has gotten so high?)
>
> I do this largely because Gracie has allergy problems. However, our formerly
> full-figured Boo is a voracious chow hound, moreso since she has lost down
> to 8 sleek pounds and is on scheduled feedings.
>
> So when I saw SIX-ounce cans of Iams, also with meat as a first ingredient,
> albeit some grains for 69 cents a can--twice the size of the FF--I thought,
> sure, why not, for Boo, she loves everything.
>
> So she gets it for three days. Day four, after I put Gracie's FF down, Boo
> leaves her food and goes for it, I say "no ..." and she wheels around,
> glares at me, and stalks downstairs without eating her food! This is a FIRST
> and this cat is 12 years old. (She eventually came back up and ate it, she's
> not crazy!)
>
> That night, I try it again. I put it down, she starts to eat rather
> reluctantly. I pop the top on Gracie's FF and Boo stops eating and looks up
> and gives me this lonnnng loud MEEEE-OWWWWWWW! I mean, she left the dish and
> came and sat at attention.
>
> I might be less inclined to give in, but it looks and smells really
> icky--none of that good stinky cat food stuff that FF has that they love,
> and a consistency you can tell comes from grains when cold. Like cold
> oatmeal?

cybercat
September 3rd 06, 05:31 PM
"Deeanna" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi Cybercat!
> I had to put my boy Douwe on a prescription food diet (Science Diet
> C/D) due to his tinkle problems and bought a 20 lb bag ($40.00) of hard
> and a case of canned ($30.00) for him so I could alternate between the
> two.

I fed SD to my cat that lived 20 years. She had no health problems until
her last illness (which really didn't seem to BE an illness, she just would
not eat) so she ate the regular dry. (Every wet food I tried gave her the
runs ...)

Expensive as SD was, I could see a big difference in her. And less of it
wound up in the cat box. (Literally, shepooped less. The vet said she just
USED more of the food because there was less fiber filler in it. What
impressed
me, too, was the look, smell and feel of the stuff. It was heavyk kind of
oily,
and had that gross, fishy, meaty smell that, if I were a cat, I imagine I
would
love!

>I gave him that canned food, he took one sniff, and walked away;
> he would not touch it. I swear I could see the revulsion in his face!
> :) I took one sniff of it and realized why; it just smelled nasty! A
> fish left out in the sun for one day smelled better than this stuff.
> So, we took all the unopened cans back to the vet and got our money
> back.

Was this the SD canned? Or Iams? I have never tried SD canned, that I
recall.

>
> Fortunately, since he is the only one (of seven) who eats the
> prescription food, a 20lb. bag lasts about 7 months. I like to give
> all of them soft food on occasion, so I buy the Friskies Special Diet
> for urinary tract health. They all love it! I might start giving them
> FF as well just to see if they like it.

Someone here called FF "Kitty crack" and it really is! It is soooo
smelly. You have probably noticed that some flavors have meat
as a first ingredient--meaning real beef, chicken, turkey or fish--and
other have byproducts as a first ingredient. Also some have wheat
gluten and some do not. Check out the labels, there is a difference.
(One of my cats has allergies so I get her the kind with no grains.
Tender Beef Feast, Chicken Feast. Chicken and Liver Feast, are
three. WalMart has it for 44 cents a 3-oz can most days.


> >I can get it for 44 cents a can at the cheapest, 60 cents at the
> > rip-off Harris Teeter that is most convenient to the house. (Anybody
else
> > think this way since gas has gotten so high?)
>
> Yes, I do. I can get a 40 lb. container of Scoop Away cat litter at
> Costco for $10.59; at Petsmart it is $15.49. Even though the two
> stores are on the same street and just yards apart, if I am at Petsmart
> and do not feel like stopping again at Costco just for cat litter, I do
> not mind paying the difference. I can get the canned Friskies a lot
> cheaper at the Air Force base commissary (grocery store) than I can at
> Petsmart, but the Air Force base is 35 miles from my house and Petsmart
> is 8. Plus, Pestmart has a much bigger selection of the Friskies
> Special Diet. So, I'll pay the diference rather than waste all that
> gas to save 10 cents per can.
>

Ooo, Deeanna, you have better shopping choices than I do. We have
no Costco. And I don't have commissary priviledges! We do have Sam's,
I keep wanting to check it out.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Paige
September 4th 06, 09:18 PM
My cat's were happy with Nitro canned, but it's difficult to get the
choices they like. I switched to Iams and everything was okay for about
8 months. Now they won't eat Iams. I know Iams changed the labels on
the cans, they must have changed the ingredients too. I thought Fancy
Feast was equivalent to our "junk" food ie McDonalds. Are there certain
entrees of FF that are suitable?

cybercat
September 4th 06, 09:43 PM
"Paige" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> My cat's were happy with Nitro canned, but it's difficult to get the
> choices they like. I switched to Iams and everything was okay for about
> 8 months. Now they won't eat Iams. I know Iams changed the labels on
> the cans, they must have changed the ingredients too. I thought Fancy
> Feast was equivalent to our "junk" food ie McDonalds. Are there certain
> entrees of FF that are suitable?
>

FF recently changed its formula. Any cat food that has meat--not
byproducts--as the first ingredient is right up there with the best of
them. I feed Tender Beef Feast because Beef is the first ingredient.
There are others. Tender Liver and Chicken is one. (My cats
just lick the gravy off the chunky stuff so I just buy the ground
or minced FF flavors.)


Other considerations, like phosphorus content are also
considered in the following past threads from this group:

http://tinyurl.com/pp5v5

http://tinyurl.com/mpxln



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com