PDA

View Full Version : HOW CAN i GET MY CATS TO SNUGGLE?!

The Cat Whisperer
September 3rd 06, 09:43 PM
Reading all the sad posts makes me want to hold my cats tight... but they
are not the snuggly type!
They don't like being held, and only come to snuggle when they feel like it,
rarely!

Is there some way to encourage them to be more snuggly?
They are 7, one male and one female.

Matthew
September 3rd 06, 09:55 PM
Nope you know cats do their own thing all you can do is entice them some
how some way ;-)

"The Cat Whisperer" > wrote in message
.. .
> Reading all the sad posts makes me want to hold my cats tight... but they
> are not the snuggly type!
> They don't like being held, and only come to snuggle when they feel like
> it, rarely!
>
> Is there some way to encourage them to be more snuggly?
> They are 7, one male and one female.

John Ross Mc Master
September 3rd 06, 10:47 PM
On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 16:43:28 -0400, "The Cat Whisperer"
> wrote:

>Reading all the sad posts makes me want to hold my cats tight... but they
>are not the snuggly type!
>They don't like being held, and only come to snuggle when they feel like it,
>rarely!
>
>Is there some way to encourage them to be more snuggly?
>They are 7, one male and one female.

I snuggle my cats and tell them that I love them that way.

Once a week they will snuggle me back. It's OK. It's up to the cats,
not us!

Cats rule us, not the other way around.

Buddy's Mom
September 3rd 06, 10:48 PM
I sure wish there was a way - but no. Some cats just don't like being
held or hugged at all. My Maine Coon especially. He likes to be near
me, but not held. He is very lovey though and enjoys being petted -
especially if it is done softly. Cats like to be the ones in charge!

The Cat Whisperer wrote:
> Reading all the sad posts makes me want to hold my cats tight... but they
> are not the snuggly type!
> They don't like being held, and only come to snuggle when they feel like it,
> rarely!
>
> Is there some way to encourage them to be more snuggly?
> They are 7, one male and one female.

sosessyithurts
September 3rd 06, 11:13 PM
The Cat Whisperer wrote:

> Is there some way to encourage them to be more snuggly?
> They are 7, one male and one female.

not trying to be funny, but this works... in fact! it is the only thing
that works

if you want your cats to rave over you...snuggle you.. rub your back
and feet...

get tardy on the food...

i don't practice this.. but I have noticed when I am tardy on the food,
this is how they remind me how much I love them.

if you keep them full... they don't have time for you

Chinese Water Torturer
September 4th 06, 12:07 AM
sobarryithurts wrote:
> if you keep them full... they don't have time for you

Maybe it's your bathing regimen, Parrish.
Tell me about Uncle Dusty.

cybercat
September 4th 06, 12:33 AM
"sosessyithurts" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> The Cat Whisperer wrote:
>
> > Is there some way to encourage them to be more snuggly?
> > They are 7, one male and one female.
>
> not trying to be funny, but this works... in fact! it is the only thing
> that works
>
> if you want your cats to rave over you...snuggle you.. rub your back
> and feet...
>
> get tardy on the food...
>
> i don't practice this.. but I have noticed when I am tardy on the food,
> this is how they remind me how much I love them.
>
> if you keep them full... they don't have time for you

I don't know, man, when I am late with Boo's food, she goes postal
on me. I get no love, I get cussed out in cat language, she slaps my
ankles when I walk past and occasionally pees on my stuff. :

I do not feel the love.

sosessyithurts
September 4th 06, 03:10 AM
cybercat wrote:

> I don't know, man, when I am late with Boo's food, she goes postal
> on me. I get no love, I get cussed out in cat language, she slaps my
> ankles when I walk past and occasionally pees on my stuff. :
>
> I do not feel the love.

heh

the only difference, mine **** with me they might get spinach for
dinner

oh yes i will baby... spinach tonight!

dem crickets hopping round here start lookin mighty good to em

Charlie Wilkes
September 4th 06, 03:17 AM
On 3 Sep 2006 16:07:08 -0700, "Chinese Water Torturer"
> wrote:

>sobarryithurts wrote:
>> if you keep them full... they don't have time for you
>
>Maybe it's your bathing regimen, Parrish.
>Tell me about Uncle Dusty.

I took a break from Usenet, and the other day, I looked at my
calendar. September, I said to myself. And sure enough.

Congratulations on being saved BTW. I'm still headed for damnation.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
September 4th 06, 03:47 AM
On 3 Sep 2006 19:10:49 -0700, "sosessyithurts" >
wrote:

>cybercat wrote:
>
>> I don't know, man, when I am late with Boo's food, she goes postal
>> on me. I get no love, I get cussed out in cat language, she slaps my
>> ankles when I walk past and occasionally pees on my stuff. :
>>
>> I do not feel the love.
>
>heh
>
>the only difference, mine **** with me they might get spinach for
>dinner
>
>oh yes i will baby... spinach tonight!
>
>dem crickets hopping round here start lookin mighty good to em

Yeah, I'll bet you're real hard on them alright.

Cats just vary widely. I used to have a cat named Albert, and I loved
him dearly. He didn't mind being picked up, but he didn't want to be
on my lap or snuggle. I didn't care. He had his own comfort zone,
and he was a very good companion. Sadly he died of cancer, many years
ago.

Now, my present cat, Tweaker, is very affectionate. At night he curls
up next to me in bed, and he snuggles right up to my head.

A lot of people tend to think their cats view them as servants, but I
don't think that is accurate. Cats think of people as friendly
cohabitants who have control over the food supply and other items of
comfort or necessity. By nature, however, they vary in how they
express their feelings. If a cat doesn't want close physical contact,
how can it possibly be expected to know that its owner does?

Charlie

sosessyithurts
September 4th 06, 04:19 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> If a cat doesn't want close physical contact,
> how can it possibly be expected to know that its owner does?

I saw a cartoon where to older people were in bed... cats were all over
the bed.
the caption read.. "Honey throw on a few more cats... Im cold"

Sometimes I just go get a cat and toss them on the bed and say, were
taking a nap.

lol...
shut up and lay down

but you're right if they don't want to, they just won't, they'll just
wait till you close your eyes then sneak off the bed.

"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On 3 Sep 2006 19:10:49 -0700, "sosessyithurts" >
> wrote:
>

> >cybercat wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know, man, when I am late with Boo's food, she goes postal
> >> on me. I get no love, I get cussed out in cat language, she slaps my
> >> ankles when I walk past and occasionally pees on my stuff. :
> >>
> >> I do not feel the love.
> >
> >heh
> >
> >the only difference, mine **** with me they might get spinach for
> >dinner
> >
> >oh yes i will baby... spinach tonight!
> >
> >dem crickets hopping round here start lookin mighty good to em
>
> Yeah, I'll bet you're real hard on them alright.

haha! You have his number, he is a big old softie with his cats!

sosessyithurts
September 4th 06, 08:03 PM
cybercat wrote:
> haha! You have his number, he is a big old softie with his cats!

dey make me beg dem to snuggle

lucy slept wid me last night
me and luch just got up from a long pre-winters nap

jupiter is in the other room expirementing with herself
(i guess)

Chinese Water Torturer
September 4th 06, 08:12 PM
sostupidithurts wrote:
> jupiter is in the other room expirementing with herself
> (i guess)

She's probably cleaning the blood off her anus.
You really shouldn't sodomize your cats, Barry.

Eva Quesnell
September 4th 06, 09:38 PM
On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, The Cat Whisperer wrote:

> Reading all the sad posts makes me want to hold my cats tight... but they
> are not the snuggly type!
> They don't like being held, and only come to snuggle when they feel like it,
> rarely!
>
> Is there some way to encourage them to be more snuggly?
> They are 7, one male and one female.

I think they just are snugglers, or they're not. I have 3 who don't
snuggle and one who is the king of snugglers. All raised by me -- so I
dunno. I have one who likes to sit close and watch me, but I dare not hug
or try to snuggle. I have one who will snuggle only when I am sitting at
this chair by the computer. I have one who wants to get real close and
stick her nose in my armpit, but I can't hug her either. I just have the
one who wants any and all attention anytime I want it. He also likes to
be carried around in my arms like a baby. I wonder if it has to do with
breed? I have observed that orange and white cats -- or dark ginger cats
are usually snuggly!

cateyesdancing
September 4th 06, 09:49 PM
Hi All!
I'm new here but I had to join 'cause your site really helped me with a
problem I am having with my cat and a sore area under his chin. It was
looking red and started smelling bad, so I tried some neosporin stuff after
using peroxide to clean and disinfect. ... Then I thought, I better check if
it was alright to use them since he kept trying to lick it off. Whew!
Thank God I did the right thing!! Even used the one with out lidocaine!
So Thank for your feeds.
Anyway... I have to agree with both the place them on your bed ,and the
tardy food method.
If they don't want to stay they won't but I make a big show of preparing a
comfy 'nest' for him and most times mine will inspect it make it more to his
likings and snuggle up.

When he is acting a little too snobish, I slow down the time of feedings a
little. Cats are very puntional and expect food at roughly /exactly the same
time. If I wait say a half hour, he starts telling me how pretty I am, how
nice I smell, what great shoes Im wearing etc. lol
Mine can barely wait til I sit down to watch tv before he jumps up to strech
out on my legs. Maybe start with a little close contact first.

--
cateyesdancing

sosessyithurts
September 4th 06, 09:59 PM
cateyesdancing wrote:
> Hi All!
> I'm new here

maybe we should can all this cat phycology

and get new husbands and wives and lovers

what do you think?

then the cats will be asking each other

"how can I get my slave to snuggle with me"

cateyesdancing
September 4th 06, 10:07 PM
Opps, Sorry to bore you, I guess my repy should have been directed to cat
whisperer.

But cats etc seem like the only thing that is talked about .

sosessyithurts wrote:
>> Hi All!
>> I'm new here
>
>maybe we should can all this cat phycology
>
>and get new husbands and wives and lovers
>
>what do you think?
>
>then the cats will be asking each other
>
>"how can I get my slave to snuggle with me"

cateyesdancing
September 4th 06, 10:10 PM
I agree, mine is a orange tabby and he loves to snuggle. My last was a bk
and white and though he loved to sit or lay on me, he HATED to be pat more
that 3 strokes.

Eva Quesnell wrote:
>> Reading all the sad posts makes me want to hold my cats tight... but they
>> are not the snuggly type!
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>> Is there some way to encourage them to be more snuggly?
>> They are 7, one male and one female.
>
>I think they just are snugglers, or they're not. I have 3 who don't
>snuggle and one who is the king of snugglers. All raised by me -- so I
>dunno. I have one who likes to sit close and watch me, but I dare not hug
>or try to snuggle. I have one who will snuggle only when I am sitting at
>this chair by the computer. I have one who wants to get real close and
>stick her nose in my armpit, but I can't hug her either. I just have the
>one who wants any and all attention anytime I want it. He also likes to
>be carried around in my arms like a baby. I wonder if it has to do with
>breed? I have observed that orange and white cats -- or dark ginger cats
>are usually snuggly!

sosessyithurts
September 4th 06, 10:31 PM
cateyesdancing wrote:
> Opps, Sorry to bore you, I guess my repy should have been directed to cat
> whisperer.
>
> But cats etc seem like the only thing that is talked about .

you was not a bore

what we have here is a failure to communicate

dgk
September 5th 06, 06:09 PM
On 4 Sep 2006 14:31:39 -0700, "sosessyithurts" >
wrote:

>cateyesdancing wrote:
>> Opps, Sorry to bore you, I guess my repy should have been directed to cat
>> whisperer.
>>
>> But cats etc seem like the only thing that is talked about .
>

>you was not a bore
>
>what we have here is a failure to communicate

Actually there is no "a" in that line. What we have here is failure to
communicate. Great film.

sideshowhaas
September 6th 06, 04:00 PM
Our cats are:

Reagan, Maine Coon, Male, 3yo- Loves to sleep with my wife & I,
snuggle, be pet, picked up, have his belly rubbed, ass scratched, chin
scratched, brushed, etc.

Nadedja, Russian Blue, Female, 1yo- Loves to snuggle Reagan (they
should get a room, oh, that's right the use ours). Will only let us pet
her or rub her belly when she is asleep/very tired. Then she is a slut,
she'll roll from side-to-side, purr like crazy, give a few kisses. When
she wakes and comes to she'll bolt away. Also, at night and in the
morning, she is seriously into Parkour, using the bed, couch, chairs
and throw rugs as her personal obstacle course. She is pretty good
about not using tables, go figure.

September 7th 06, 05:55 PM
I find we have the same problem with our cat, we've only had her 5
days, but she has never come up to us to sit on our lap. I don't know
if this is the way the cat is or wether she just hasn't taken to us
yet.

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> On 3 Sep 2006 19:10:49 -0700, "sosessyithurts" >
> wrote:
>

> >cybercat wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know, man, when I am late with Boo's food, she goes postal
> >> on me. I get no love, I get cussed out in cat language, she slaps my
> >> ankles when I walk past and occasionally pees on my stuff. :
> >>
> >> I do not feel the love.
> >
> >heh
> >
> >the only difference, mine **** with me they might get spinach for
> >dinner
> >
> >oh yes i will baby... spinach tonight!
> >
> >dem crickets hopping round here start lookin mighty good to em
>
> Yeah, I'll bet you're real hard on them alright.
>
> Cats just vary widely. I used to have a cat named Albert, and I loved
> him dearly. He didn't mind being picked up, but he didn't want to be
> on my lap or snuggle. I didn't care. He had his own comfort zone,
> and he was a very good companion. Sadly he died of cancer, many years
> ago.
>
> Now, my present cat, Tweaker, is very affectionate. At night he curls
> up next to me in bed, and he snuggles right up to my head.
>
> A lot of people tend to think their cats view them as servants, but I
> don't think that is accurate. Cats think of people as friendly
> cohabitants who have control over the food supply and other items of
> comfort or necessity. By nature, however, they vary in how they
> express their feelings. If a cat doesn't want close physical contact,
> how can it possibly be expected to know that its owner does?
>
> Charlie

22brix
September 7th 06, 06:08 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I find we have the same problem with our cat, we've only had her 5
> days, but she has never come up to us to sit on our lap. I don't know
> if this is the way the cat is or wether she just hasn't taken to us
> yet.

You haven't had her very long--she's still getting used to you and your
house. As other posters have said, some cats never become very cuddly and
others are snuggle bunnies from the start. I have 7 and they all want
affection in their own way.

Bonnie

The Cat Whisperer
September 19th 06, 11:23 PM
Strangely, my male 13lb "Senna" came and sat on my lap for about 15 minutes
a few days ago, so he must be reading my mind and giving in a bit!

"The Cat Whisperer" > wrote in message
.. .
> Reading all the sad posts makes me want to hold my cats tight... but they
> are not the snuggly type!
> They don't like being held, and only come to snuggle when they feel like
> it, rarely!
>
> Is there some way to encourage them to be more snuggly?
> They are 7, one male and one female.

Petzl
October 30th 06, 01:13 AM
"The Cat Whisperer" > wrote in message

|| Reading all the sad posts makes me want to hold my cats tight... but
|| they are not the snuggly type!
|| They don't like being held, and only come to snuggle when they feel
|| like it, rarely!
|| Is there some way to encourage them to be more snuggly?
|| They are 7, one male and one female.

Aside from feeding your four legs and a belly

*Try brushing*

IMO the best brushes for short hair cats (never owned a long hair?) are
cheap and disposable hand held scrubbing brushes, wood handled with straw
brushes made in china.

But I'm sure your pet store wll advise better

I brush mine when they visit me in bed, but up to you I suppose
--

Petzl