PDA

View Full Version : matts & Knotts

bob
September 5th 06, 03:00 AM
My 6 year old tabby has been getting mats all over his fur. Every year he's
been getting these mats more and more. During the winter it's really bad but
in the summer they get better. This year though they did not get better. I
try combing them, cutting them out but I feel I'm not getting any results. I
have noticed though that his skin is dry and I see flakes. Anyone have any
suggestions?
John

cybercat
September 5th 06, 04:55 AM
"bob" > wrote in message
> My 6 year old tabby has been getting mats all over his fur. Every year
he's
> been getting these mats more and more. During the winter it's really bad
but
> in the summer they get better. This year though they did not get better. I
> try combing them, cutting them out but I feel I'm not getting any results.
> have noticed though that his skin is dry and I see flakes. Anyone have any
> suggestions?

What are you feeding him?

bob
September 5th 06, 05:05 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "bob" > wrote in message
>> My 6 year old tabby has been getting mats all over his fur. Every year
> he's
>> been getting these mats more and more. During the winter it's really bad
> but
>> in the summer they get better. This year though they did not get better.
>> try combing them, cutting them out but I feel I'm not getting any
>> results.
>> have noticed though that his skin is dry and I see flakes. Anyone have
>> any
>> suggestions?
>
> What are you feeding him?

He get's two types of food Dry and canned food. We have two cat's, the other
is OK.

john

cybercat
September 5th 06, 05:27 AM
"bob" > wrote

How often do you brush him?

cybercat
September 5th 06, 05:52 AM
"bob" > wrote

A brush might be better than a comb. Do you let him
out? Is he getting into things? He might need a bath.

-L.
September 5th 06, 07:54 AM
bob wrote:
> My 6 year old tabby has been getting mats all over his fur. Every year he's
> been getting these mats more and more. During the winter it's really bad but
> in the summer they get better. This year though they did not get better. I
> try combing them, cutting them out but I feel I'm not getting any results. I
> have noticed though that his skin is dry and I see flakes. Anyone have any
> suggestions?
> John

The cat needs to be groomed regularly with a medium-toothed metal
grooming comb. If the matts are bad, take him to the vet and have him
shaved - then start over. The dry skin under the matts is the beginning
of a skin sore. If you leave the matts on too long, the skin will
become raw, open and become abscessed. He needs the matts removed and
to be bathed in a soothing shampoo such as ecto-soothe. Once the matts
are off, if he is long-haired, daily combing is a must, short-haired
cats need grooming weekly, at least.

-L.

meow
September 5th 06, 05:51 PM
On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 22:00:37 -0400, "bob" > wrote:

>My 6 year old tabby has been getting mats all over his fur. Every year he's
>been getting these mats more and more. During the winter it's really bad but
>in the summer they get better. This year though they did not get better. I
>try combing them, cutting them out but I feel I'm not getting any results. I
>have noticed though that his skin is dry and I see flakes. Anyone have any
>suggestions?
>John

I have this same problem. My Charity has extremely long hair and its
hard for her to keep up with it on her own. Unfortunely she has a mean
streak in her and she rarely lets me brush her. I have noticed that
the top layer is fine buts its underneath where she and I can't groom.
I can't because she won't let me for any lenth of time suitable to
comb them out. Sometimes I just cut them off as much as possible. I
keep warning her that if she doesn't let me brush her properly I am
gonna take her to a groomer and shave her but she doesn't listen. LOL