PDA

View Full Version : bald spot

Laila
September 5th 06, 04:06 AM
Shaina keeps biting at her fur on her back, close to the tail and there
is a 5x8 cm bald spot there. we've been to the vet in NY and here in
Tucson and the consensus is that it's not an infection (they did tests)
and it's not an allergy (she got a cortisone shot). the vet here
specializes in felines. she said that Shaina must be stressed and/or
bored. i leave for work at 6:30 am and come back close to 7 pm. i am
the only one taking care of her now because my fiancÚ is in North
Carolina for his residency. i try to play with her as much as i can
when i am home, but i think she is so used to having 2 humans with her
that it's just not enough for her. i am afraid that by the time i move
to North Carolina, she will have broken all her fur. i was thinking of
getting her a friend, but i'd have to take the time to introduce them
and i'd have to spend time with the kitten. i can never catch her
doing that, but once i saw the fur ruffled and slightly wet at that
spot. i am not sure what to do.

sosessyithurts
September 5th 06, 04:22 AM
Laila wrote:
> Shaina keeps biting at her fur on her back, close to the tail and there
> is a 5x8 cm bald spot there. i can never catch her
> doing that, but once i saw the fur ruffled and slightly wet at that
> spot. i am not sure what to do.

when i first read the thread, I thought it said blood sport
sorry

it's mites under the skin

she needs to take a pill that will kill the micro-bugs in her blood
stream

best to yas

Laila
September 5th 06, 05:42 AM
sosessyithurts wrote:
> Laila wrote:
> > Shaina keeps biting at her fur on her back, close to the tail and there
> > is a 5x8 cm bald spot there. i can never catch her
> > doing that, but once i saw the fur ruffled and slightly wet at that
> > spot. i am not sure what to do.
>
> when i first read the thread, I thought it said blood sport
> sorry

oh, god, i thought that i've misspelt it.

> it's mites under the skin
>
> she needs to take a pill that will kill the micro-bugs in her blood
> stream

i'll ask the vet about it. the other vet gave me some anti-flea drops
to put on her skin right behind her head, where she can't reach it.

> best to yas

Rhonda
September 5th 06, 07:08 AM
sosessyithurts wrote:
> Laila wrote:
>
>>Shaina keeps biting at her fur on her back, close to the tail and there
>>is a 5x8 cm bald spot there. i can never catch her
>>doing that, but once i saw the fur ruffled and slightly wet at that
>>spot. i am not sure what to do.
>

> when i first read the thread, I thought it said blood sport
> sorry
>
> it's mites under the skin
>
> she needs to take a pill that will kill the micro-bugs in her blood
> stream
>
> best to yas

Come on Barry, when did you get your vet degree and x-ray vision?

Laila, did the vet test for ringworm? That can cause bald spots.

Our cat had bald areas above his tail due to flea allergies. Even inside
cats can get fleas -- since fleas can hitch rides into the house.

Good luck finding out what's going on,

Rhonda

sosessyithurts
September 5th 06, 12:35 PM
Rhonda wrote:

> Come on Barry, when did you get your vet degree and x-ray vision?

i got my degree on here.

Now I think her cat needs a topical solution

I had it backwards... can't fleas put poison of some sort into the
blood stream?

Im confused

Rhonda
September 6th 06, 06:52 PM
sosessyithurts wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
>

>>Come on Barry, when did you get your vet degree and x-ray vision?
>

> i got my degree on here.
>
> Now I think her cat needs a topical solution
>
> I had it backwards... can't fleas put poison of some sort into the
> blood stream?
>
> Im confused

I don't know what kind of poison it would be -- maybe an infection. I
think cats that get flea allergies are allergic to flea spit.

Rhonda

Laila
September 7th 06, 04:46 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> sosessyithurts wrote:
> > Rhonda wrote:
> >

> >>Come on Barry, when did you get your vet degree and x-ray vision?
> >

> > i got my degree on here.
> >
> > Now I think her cat needs a topical solution
> >
> > I had it backwards... can't fleas put poison of some sort into the
> > blood stream?
> >
> > Im confused
>
> I don't know what kind of poison it would be -- maybe an infection. I
> think cats that get flea allergies are allergic to flea spit.

it's not an allergy. she doesn't have fleas. that's already been
determined by the vet(s). she is bored because she is not getting
nearly as much attention and human interaction as she used to in the
past. i am not sure what to do at this point. i am trying to spend as
much time with her as possible and play with her. well, off to play
with her now.

Rhonda
September 7th 06, 05:50 PM
Laila wrote:

> it's not an allergy. she doesn't have fleas. that's already been
> determined by the vet(s). she is bored because she is not getting
> nearly as much attention and human interaction as she used to in the
> past. i am not sure what to do at this point. i am trying to spend as
> much time with her as possible and play with her. well, off to play
> with her now.

How about getting her another cat to play with?

Rhonda

22brix
September 7th 06, 06:12 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Laila wrote:
>
>> it's not an allergy. she doesn't have fleas. that's already been
>> determined by the vet(s). she is bored because she is not getting
>> nearly as much attention and human interaction as she used to in the
>> past. i am not sure what to do at this point. i am trying to spend as
>> much time with her as possible and play with her. well, off to play
>> with her now.
>
> How about getting her another cat to play with?
>
> Rhonda

My thoughts, too! I've found that two are frequently easier than one--they
don't get as bored. Careful introductions are vital but having more than
one cat can really enrich the cats lives as well as yours!

Bonnie

Rene S.
September 7th 06, 08:24 PM
Laila wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:

> it's not an allergy. she doesn't have fleas. that's already been
> determined by the vet(s). she is bored because she is not getting
> nearly as much attention and human interaction as she used to in the
> past. i am not sure what to do at this point. i am trying to spend as
> much time with her as possible and play with her. well, off to play
> with her now.

Sounds like, since your vet has ruled out several things, that she is
just stressed and is overgrooming that one spot. One of my cats started
doing this after a stressful trip to the vet. You might try either a
Feliway diffuser or adding Rescue Remedy (a homeopathic blend of herbs
you can get from a health food store) to her water. Both of those
helped me (er, the cat!)

Long term, it sounds like a playmate would help her.

Rene

Laila
September 8th 06, 06:28 AM
thanks everyone for your replies. i will take some time off from work
in October to get another kitty, take her to the vet and introduce the
two of them. i'll also get the Feliway and rescue remedy to try out.
what kind of a cat would be good to get? Shaina was very friendly with
other animals. how old should the new kitty be? Shaina is almost 3
years old.

sosessyithurts
September 8th 06, 12:21 PM
Laila wrote:
> thanks everyone for your replies. i will take some time off from work
> in October to get another kitty, take her to the vet and introduce the
> two of them. i'll also get the Feliway and rescue remedy to try out.
> what kind of a cat would be good to get? Shaina was very friendly with
> other animals. how old should the new kitty be? Shaina is almost 3
> years old.

If you have a choice, get a kitten, they come pre-litter trained, and
are loads of fun.

You're 3 year old will enjoy the random un-predicted sillyness, your 3
year old may even be protective and take the kitten under her wing so
to say

22brix
September 8th 06, 04:50 PM
"sosessyithurts" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Laila wrote:
>> thanks everyone for your replies. i will take some time off from work
>> in October to get another kitty, take her to the vet and introduce the
>> two of them. i'll also get the Feliway and rescue remedy to try out.
>> what kind of a cat would be good to get? Shaina was very friendly with
>> other animals. how old should the new kitty be? Shaina is almost 3
>> years old.
>
> If you have a choice, get a kitten, they come pre-litter trained, and
> are loads of fun.
>
> You're 3 year old will enjoy the random un-predicted sillyness, your 3
> year old may even be protective and take the kitten under her wing so
> to say

Also most cats accept a kitten more easily than another adult. I've seen
some big tough male cats melt when dealing with a young kitten (but not
always!) I've had good luck introducing either male or female cats to my
group of cats but many people say it's easier with male cats.

Have fun!
Bonnie

sosessyithurts
September 8th 06, 05:32 PM
22brix wrote:
> I've had good luck introducing either male or female cats to my
> group of cats but many people say it's easier with male cats.
>
> Have fun!
> Bonnie

about how many cats do you have?

at this point I wouldnt' want any less than two, as it gives them
something to do

22brix
September 8th 06, 06:13 PM
"sosessyithurts" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> 22brix wrote:
>> I've had good luck introducing either male or female cats to my
>> group of cats but many people say it's easier with male cats.
>>
>> Have fun!
>> Bonnie
>
> about how many cats do you have?
>
> at this point I wouldnt' want any less than two, as it gives them
> something to do

I have 7 and love it! They don't have a chance to get bored and one of them
is always ready for a cuddle or play time. Don't care so much for the vet
bills but it's worth it to me! How many do you have?

Bonnie

sosessyithurts
September 8th 06, 06:33 PM
22brix wrote:

> I have 7 and love it! They don't have a chance to get bored and one of them
> is always ready for a cuddle or play time. Don't care so much for the vet
> bills but it's worth it to me! How many do you have?

7 wow! I only have 2
one is almost 8 years old, the other is going on 1 year old

I don't want too many in the house (here a hair, thar a hair,
everywhere a hair)
without the option of running them outside (I would rather have a coupe
out back)

I wouldn't mind having a place out in the country where i could coupe a
bunch of them... and let them trickle in and out of the house, I really
enjoy feeding them, they are highly entertaining... even just watching
them nap is relaxing to me.

....watching them wake up from a long nap... streeeeeetch...
yaaaaawwwwnnn, then lay back down for another nap

my personality has a built in "give me space" mechanism, once I need my
space cats would scatter... i would just put that look on them

22brix
September 8th 06, 07:51 PM
"sosessyithurts" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> 22brix wrote:
>
>> I have 7 and love it!

>>> 7 wow! I only have 2
> one is almost 8 years old, the other is going on 1 year old
>
> I don't want too many in the house (here a hair, thar a hair,
> everywhere a hair)
> without the option of running them outside (I would rather have a coupe
> out back)
>
> I wouldn't mind having a place out in the country where i could coupe a
> bunch of them... and let them trickle in and out of the house, I really
> enjoy feeding them, they are highly entertaining... even just watching
> them nap is relaxing to me.
>
> ...watching them wake up from a long nap... streeeeeetch...
> yaaaaawwwwnnn, then lay back down for another nap
>
> my personality has a built in "give me space" mechanism, once I need my
> space cats would scatter... i would just put that look on them

The hair does get to be a bit much!! I collect enough fur to make a dozen
more! Wish you could spin it--would be so soft. I need my space too but I
don't seem to mind the cats. I love dogs but they are more "needy" and that
gets to me more than the cats.

sosessyithurts
September 9th 06, 05:28 PM
22brix wrote:

> The hair does get to be a bit much!!

what about pro groomers, don't they use a quiet vaccuum?
maybe it has a long hose so the motor is in the other room
maybe it has a nice cat cozy grooming attatchment.

22brix
September 9th 06, 06:41 PM
"sosessyithurts" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> 22brix wrote:
>
>> The hair does get to be a bit much!!
>
> what about pro groomers, don't they use a quiet vaccuum?
> maybe it has a long hose so the motor is in the other room
> maybe it has a nice cat cozy grooming attatchment.

Don't know how my menagerie would tolerate that--too much like going to the
vet's!! My sweet old Molly is deaf and doesn't mind being vacuumed--not
that I do it that often! Several of mine don't like being brushed and one of
them will actively bite the brush (or me!) no matter how gentle I am. Sigh.

Laila
September 10th 06, 07:27 AM
sosessyithurts wrote:
> 22brix wrote:
>
> > The hair does get to be a bit much!!
>
> what about pro groomers, don't they use a quiet vaccuum?
> maybe it has a long hose so the motor is in the other room
> maybe it has a nice cat cozy grooming attatchment.

Shaina is short-haired but still needs to be groomed to avoid her
lovely fur covering every single surface it'll stick to. she allows me
to groom her as long as i don't touch the tummy, but she stil may bite
and hiss, which is very cute. if she bites too hard, i hiss at her and
she stops.

Laila
September 10th 06, 07:32 AM
22brix wrote:
> "sosessyithurts" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Laila wrote:
> >> thanks everyone for your replies. i will take some time off from work
> >> in October to get another kitty, take her to the vet and introduce the
> >> two of them. i'll also get the Feliway and rescue remedy to try out.
> >> what kind of a cat would be good to get? Shaina was very friendly with
> >> other animals. how old should the new kitty be? Shaina is almost 3
> >> years old.
> >
> > If you have a choice, get a kitten, they come pre-litter trained, and
> > are loads of fun.
> >
> > You're 3 year old will enjoy the random un-predicted sillyness, your 3
> > year old may even be protective and take the kitten under her wing so
> > to say
> >

> Also most cats accept a kitten more easily than another adult. I've seen
> some big tough male cats melt when dealing with a young kitten (but not
> always!) I've had good luck introducing either male or female cats to my
> group of cats but many people say it's easier with male cats.
>
> Have fun!
> Bonnie

thanks. my fiancÚ and i decided that he'll come here in mid-October
when i plan to take some time off work, so that we get the kitten
together. that way, he'll at least get to see her when she is little.
should i get another litter box for the new kitty? i am not sure how
they'll be happy about sharing one. my parents have two cats, but the
second one is Murka's daughter, so there was no need for any
introductions. i got Shaina when she was only 6 weeks old, from a kill
shelter. this is way to young for the kitten to be away from the
mother, but she had no other choice. is this too young to bring home
with another cat?

22brix
September 10th 06, 06:55 PM
"Laila" > wrote in message
oups.com...

22brix wrote:
> "sosessyithurts" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Laila wrote:
> >> thanks everyone for your replies. i will take some time off from work
> >> in October to get another kitty, take her to the vet and introduce the
> >> two of them. i'll also get the Feliway and rescue remedy to try out.
> >> what kind of a cat would be good to get? Shaina was very friendly with
> >> other animals. how old should the new kitty be? Shaina is almost 3
> >> years old.
> >
> > If you have a choice, get a kitten, they come pre-litter trained, and
> > are loads of fun.
> >
> > You're 3 year old will enjoy the random un-predicted sillyness, your 3
> > year old may even be protective and take the kitten under her wing so
> > to say
> >

> Also most cats accept a kitten more easily than another adult. I've seen
> some big tough male cats melt when dealing with a young kitten (but not
> always!) I've had good luck introducing either male or female cats to my
> group of cats but many people say it's easier with male cats.
>
> Have fun!
> Bonnie

thanks. my fiancÚ and i decided that he'll come here in mid-October
when i plan to take some time off work, so that we get the kitten
together. that way, he'll at least get to see her when she is little.
should i get another litter box for the new kitty? i am not sure how
they'll be happy about sharing one. my parents have two cats, but the
second one is Murka's daughter, so there was no need for any
introductions. i got Shaina when she was only 6 weeks old, from a kill
shelter. this is way to young for the kitten to be away from the
mother, but she had no other choice. is this too young to bring home
with another cat?

Hi Laila,

I would definitely get another litter box--the rule of thumb is one box per
cat and one extra. Six weeks is awfully young. It would be better to get
one a little older, although I have rescued younger kittens before.
Regardless of how old she (or he!) is you'll want to keep the kitten
separated from the older cat for a while. This may take several days or
longer, depending on how they get along. This is to make sure the kitten
doesn't have any infectious diseases and to allow both cats to get used to
each other. You'll need to supervise to make sure Shaina won't hurt the
kitten but most of the time older cats deal reasonably well with kittens.

You're going to have so much fun!
Bonnie