PDA

View Full Version : New Litter : Feline PINE

123456789
September 6th 06, 08:37 AM
I was getting tired of cleaning up normal litter from all over the place
after the cats track through the house, so I found this new litter. It's
called Feline Pine. Has anyone ever used this stuff?

It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all. You
scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or two
when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.

John Ross Mc Master
September 6th 06, 04:02 PM
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 07:37:26 GMT, "123456789" > wrote:

>I was getting tired of cleaning up normal litter from all over the place
>after the cats track through the house, so I found this new litter. It's
>called Feline Pine. Has anyone ever used this stuff?
>

>It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all. You
>scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or two
>when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.

It's the same stuff they use as wood pellet furnace fuel. $4 for a 40
pound bag.

Joe Negron
September 6th 06, 05:38 PM
On 2006-09-06, 123456789 > wrote:
>I was getting tired of cleaning up normal litter from all over the place
>after the cats track through the house, so I found this new litter. It's
>called Feline Pine. Has anyone ever used this stuff?
>

>It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all. You
>scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or two
>when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.

We've been using it for a few months. It has upsides and downsides
compared to the clay-based litter:

On the one hand, Romeo tracks far less of it when he comes out of the
litter box, it's much easier to clean, has no unpleasant odor (just a
slight sawdust odor), and it's more environmentally friendly (we simply
spread it over the dirt in the backyard, instead of throwing it out with
the trash). I've found that their recommendation of one inch of litter
lasts just about two weeks (sometimes a day or two less).

However, I've calculated that it costs somewhat more than twice what the
least expensive clumping litter (the type we used before we switched).

I'm also suspicous that the Feline Pine may have caused Romeo to get
sick, though this is only a suspicion at this time. He's been lethargic
and sleeping more than usual for the past couple of weeks, and now he's
not eating and has been losing weight. I'm bringing him to the vet
tomorrow to see what's up. I'm suspicious of the Feline Pine because
we've found some of it on his bed (we never used to find the clay-based
litter on his bed), and this has caused me to suspect that the
urine-soaked litter has been sticking to his paws, and when he licks his
paws to clean himself he's been ingesting some of the urine-soaked
litter. I'll see what the vet says tomorrow before I decide whether to
switch back to the clay-based clumping litter.

Nature is a revelation of God; Art a revelation of man.

--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

War is good for business - invest your son.

--antiwar bumper sticker from the 1960s
Joe Negron from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY, USA

Joe Negron
September 6th 06, 05:39 PM
On 2006-09-06, John Ross Mc Master > wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 07:37:26 GMT, "123456789" > wrote:
>
>>I was getting tired of cleaning up normal litter from all over the place
>>after the cats track through the house, so I found this new litter. It's
>>called Feline Pine. Has anyone ever used this stuff?
>>

>>It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all. You
>>scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or two
>>when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.
>

>It's the same stuff they use as wood pellet furnace fuel. $4 for a 40
>pound bag.

And where does one find this furnace fuel?

Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters.

--Victor Hugo

War is good for business - invest your son.

--antiwar bumper sticker from the 1960s
Joe Negron from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY, USA

Rhonda
September 6th 06, 06:44 PM
John Ross Mc Master wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 07:37:26 GMT, "123456789" > wrote:
>

>>I was getting tired of cleaning up normal litter from all over the place
>>after the cats track through the house, so I found this new litter. It's
>>called Feline Pine. Has anyone ever used this stuff?
>>

>>It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all. You
>>scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or two
>>when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.
>
> It's the same stuff they use as wood pellet furnace fuel. $4 for a 40
> pound bag.

Ijust don't trust the fuel pellets. Some have wax for burning and I
don't think they are processed as much to remove the phenols from the pine.

One bag I looked at even said a disclaimer about this product is not
made for use with animals.

Rhonda

Rhonda
September 6th 06, 06:46 PM
123456789 wrote:
> I was getting tired of cleaning up normal litter from all over the place
> after the cats track through the house, so I found this new litter.
> It's called Feline Pine. Has anyone ever used this stuff?
>

> It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all.
> You scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or
> two when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.

Yep, that's what we use! I like the fact there is no smell and it
composts very easily.

We used a recycled paper pellet before and there is more tracking with
Feline Pine, but the difference in smell is worth it.

Rhonda

John Ross Mc Master
September 6th 06, 08:34 PM
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:39:32 GMT, Joe Negron
> wrote:

>On 2006-09-06, John Ross Mc Master > wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 07:37:26 GMT, "123456789" > wrote:
>>
>>>I was getting tired of cleaning up normal litter from all over the place
>>>after the cats track through the house, so I found this new litter. It's
>>>called Feline Pine. Has anyone ever used this stuff?
>>>

>>>It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all. You
>>>scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or two
>>>when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.
>>

>>It's the same stuff they use as wood pellet furnace fuel. $4 for a 40
>>pound bag.
>
>And where does one find this furnace fuel?

I'm on the west coast, north of Seattle. It is very common here for
people to use wood pellet buning furnaces or inserts.

I buy a 40 pound bag of the stuff at the local ACE Hardware megastore.
Any building supplies/lumber place should carry it.

The same pellets are also used as horse bedding so check tack shops as
well.

Caution: Do not buy the cedar or aspen pellets for feline use. Make
sure it's pine.

John Ross Mc Master
September 6th 06, 08:37 PM
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 17:44:57 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>John Ross Mc Master wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 07:37:26 GMT, "123456789" > wrote:
>>

>>>I was getting tired of cleaning up normal litter from all over the place
>>>after the cats track through the house, so I found this new litter. It's
>>>called Feline Pine. Has anyone ever used this stuff?
>>>

>>>It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all. You
>>>scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or two
>>>when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.
>>
>> It's the same stuff they use as wood pellet furnace fuel. $4 for a 40
>> pound bag.
>
>Ijust don't trust the fuel pellets. Some have wax for burning and I
>don't think they are processed as much to remove the phenols from the pine.
>
>One bag I looked at even said a disclaimer about this product is not
>made for use with animals.
>
>Rhonda

Our local Humane Society has been using it without harm to cats for
years now. The bags I see don't have this disclaimer on it, in fact,
they say they are for use with cats and horses. Look around for the
brand called Firemaster.

September 6th 06, 11:01 PM
>>>It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all. You
>>>scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or two
>>>when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.

So for the next week or two your cat is standing in urine soaked
sawdust? Sorry, but I prefer the clumping types that allow throwing
out urine clumps.

-mhd

123456789
September 9th 06, 05:46 PM
Not at all, the pellets neutralize the urine, thee is no smell, and the dust
dries and it smells like freshly sawed wood.

> So for the next week or two your cat is standing in urine soaked
> sawdust? Sorry, but I prefer the clumping types that allow throwing
> out urine clumps.
>
> -mhd

September 9th 06, 10:07 PM
"123456789" > wrote:

>Not at all, the pellets neutralize the urine, thee is no smell, and the dust
>dries and it smells like freshly sawed wood.

Urine that smells nice is still urine, it is not neutralized. You
haven't eliminated anything until you throw it out.

-mhd

Rhonda
September 10th 06, 06:30 AM
wrote:
> "123456789" > wrote:
>

>>Not at all, the pellets neutralize the urine, thee is no smell, and the dust
>>dries and it smells like freshly sawed wood.
>

> Urine that smells nice is still urine, it is not neutralized. You
> haven't eliminated anything until you throw it out.
>
> -mhd

Actually, the ammonia is neutralized. The litter itself turns into dry
fluffy stuff in the litter box and all you can smell is the pine.

You don't have to try it, mhd, but we love it here.

Rhonda

Lou B.
September 10th 06, 08:15 PM
Fact: Any litter sticks to a cat's paws.

Fact: A cat cleans its paws with its tongue.

Fact: Clay litter is highly astringent.

Question: Would you enjoy having highly astringent clay in your gut?

Fact: Since I got rid of the clay litter my old cat is no longer
constipated. She no longer runs around the house in the middle of the
night crying in pain just because she needs to poop.

My Kiki and I are truly thankful to whomever it was in this group that
advised a month ago to get rid of the clay litter!

- Lou

September 10th 06, 09:01 PM
(Lou B.) wrote:

>My Kiki and I are truly thankful to whomever it was in this group that
>advised a month ago to get rid of the clay litter!
>
>- Lou

I've been using wheat clumping products for several years in case your
*facts* are directed at me.

-mhd

Rhonda
September 11th 06, 06:57 AM
wrote:
> (Lou B.) wrote:
>

>>My Kiki and I are truly thankful to whomever it was in this group that
>>advised a month ago to get rid of the clay litter!
>>
>>- Lou
>

> I've been using wheat clumping products for several years in case your
> *facts* are directed at me.
>
> -mhd

I didn't see anyone talking about clay litter in the thread -- I don't
know who he is talking too either.

Rhonda

cybercat
September 11th 06, 07:41 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> > (Lou B.) wrote:
> >

> >>My Kiki and I are truly thankful to whomever it was in this group that
> >>advised a month ago to get rid of the clay litter!
> >>
> >>- Lou
> >

> > I've been using wheat clumping products for several years in case your
> > *facts* are directed at me.
> >
> > -mhd
>
> I didn't see anyone talking about clay litter in the thread -- I don't
> know who he is talking too either.

Little Louie has not mastered his WebTV unit yet.

meeee
September 11th 06, 10:57 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>> wrote:

>> > I've been using wheat clumping products for several years in case your
>> > *facts* are directed at me.
>> >
>> > -mhd
>>
>> I didn't see anyone talking about clay litter in the thread -- I don't
>> know who he is talking too either.
>>

> Little Louie has not mastered his WebTV unit yet.

And he's probably talking to hsi sock puppet...I don't see anyone else
talking here, more tossing him from person to person like a hot potato....

"meeee" > wrote:

> > Little Louie has not mastered his WebTV unit yet.
> >

> And he's probably talking to hsi sock puppet...I don't see anyone else
> talking here, more tossing him from person to person like a hot potato....

I noticed that as of last night he had 6 (SIX) messages under his webbie
email address archived in Google. And yet he claims to be a Usenet veteran.
Hmmm.

Lou B.
September 11th 06, 11:05 PM
Little Cyber-Puss obtained his daily masturbatory gratification when he
punched out the following:

>Little Louie has not mastered his WebTV
>unit yet.

Ooh, was it good for you, little cyberpussy?

meeee
September 11th 06, 11:19 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "meeee" > wrote:
>> >
>> > Little Louie has not mastered his WebTV unit yet.
>> >

>> And he's probably talking to hsi sock puppet...I don't see anyone else
>> talking here, more tossing him from person to person like a hot
>> potato....
>>

> I noticed that as of last night he had 6 (SIX) messages under his webbie
> email address archived in Google. And yet he claims to be a Usenet
> veteran.
> Hmmm.

Oh, wow. Six messages. Now that's a real expert, that is. Everyone bow down
and worship the new usenet god....he'll be telling us he's Bill Clinton's
second cousin's sister next.

meeee
September 11th 06, 11:39 PM
"Lou B." > wrote in message
> Little Cyber-Puss obtained his daily masturbatory gratification when he
> punched out the following:
>
>>Little Louie has not mastered his WebTV
>>unit yet.
>>

> Ooh, was it good for you, little cyberpussy?

wow, he's even more delusional than i thought he was....but I see he's
figured out cut & paste. Well done, Lou!

Lou B.
September 12th 06, 12:26 AM
YEAH IT'S GREAT STUFF BUT I'M NOT ALLOWED TO TALK HERE ANYMORE, SO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXHAVE
YOU HAD
ENOUGH?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXO
U DESERVE TO BE PUNISHED SOME
MOREXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXMOREMOREMORE!!!XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXHEYIGOT
TIREDOF HOLDING MY FINGER
DOWNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX****YOU****YOUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXSOBANMENOWYOU
BEEETCH!XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!

Matthew
September 12th 06, 12:37 AM
"Lou B." >

What we can't hear you
Are you saying something?

Is it tough trying to talk over the laughter?