PDA

View Full Version : Cat Losing Weight

Jean Rafalski
September 7th 06, 04:23 PM
I have a 9yr old male house cat. I have had him since a kitten. I also have a 3yr old male since a kitten. They get along just fine. They get dry food during the day and split a small can of Friskeys at night. The 9yr old has alwasy started talking about noon wanting is canned food (they get it about 4) I tell him "to early" and he goes away for a while. When I do give them their canned food the 9yr old qulps it down like he is starving. I have to keep him back from the 3yr olds food as he is a slow eater. However, the last few weeks I have notice no change in the 9yr olds eating, drinking or litter habits, but he is loosing weight. Any ideas? Jean

Gail
September 7th 06, 07:29 PM
He sounds like he has a hyperactive thyroid. This is common in cats and can
cause death if untreated. Take him to a vet.
GAil
"Jean Rafalski" > wrote in message

> I have a 9yr old male house cat. I have had him since a kitten. I also
> have a 3yr old male since a kitten. They get along just fine. They get
> dry food during the day and split a small can of Friskeys at night. The
> 9yr old has alwasy started talking about noon wanting is canned food
> (they get it about 4) I tell him "to early" and he goes away for a
> while. When I do give them their canned food the 9yr old qulps it down
> like he is starving. I have to keep him back from the 3yr olds food as
> he is a slow eater. However, the last few weeks I have notice no
> change in the 9yr olds eating, drinking or litter habits, but he is
> loosing weight. Any ideas? Jean
>

> --
> Jean Rafalski

September 8th 06, 01:26 AM
"Gail" > wrote:

>He sounds like he has a hyperactive thyroid. This is common in cats and can
>cause death if untreated. Take him to a vet.
>GAil

>"Jean Rafalski" > wrote in message

Diabetes can also cause weight loss. Is he urinating more than usual?
-mhd